Removing the dead wood

Oldben

Some players are likely to leave the club ...

Rooney now that he's not going to be manager and is earning to much for a player of his age ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goal.com/en-om/amp/news/wayne-rooney-net-worth-salary-income-earn/1ss72u2519kev15laah0v6h3e2

I think its likely Tom Lawrence and Martyn Waghorn will be moved on from the club, they are unlikely to be considered good enough for the club.

The new owners are probably likely to buy a new defence and goalkeeper, this is a very weak area of the team.

A new manager is highly likely, but with the amount spent on the club that person will be likely to be a person of some quality

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Rooney now that he's not going to be manager and is earning to much for a player of his age ...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goal.com/en-om/amp/news/wayne-rooney-net-worth-salary-income-earn/1ss72u2519kev15laah0v6h3e2

I think its likely Tom Lawrence and Martyn Waghorn will be moved on from the club, they are unlikely to be considered good enough for the club.

The new owners are probably likely to buy a new defence and goalkeeper, this is a very weak area of the team.

A new manager is highly likely, but with the amount spent on the club that person will be likely to be a person of some quality

Lawrence and Waghorn should be guaranteed starters in this team. If neither is good enough and are "deadwood", then the club's in much worse shape than I thought. 

Would think we did a good job of getting rid of deadwood in the summer.

Not sure who i would move on now?

Not without replacing with better anyway.

We’ve been removing ‘dead wood’ for years, only to replace it with more dead wood. 
Let’s have it right with the academy as well. As soon as anyone starts to shine, they will be off and we will spend that money on dead wood. The academy will develop players for other teams. 

If we split the squad into two groups, those under contract until the summer, and those beyond we get the following...

Until the summer: Carson, Mitchell, Ravas, Wisdom, Evans, Davies, Clarke, Malone, Holmes, Jozefzoon, Rooney, Waghorn, Kazim

Beyond the summer: Marshall, Roos, Byrne, te Wierik, Forsyth, Buchanan, Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Whittaker, Marriott

The second group obviously forms the base of the squad going forward, with Marriott almost certainly set to leave. From the first group, the likely players to sign extensions are Wisdom, Evans, Holmes, Waghorn. Waghorn's currently the only starter, with the others being squad players.

Due to the size of the squad, we should only see one or two coming in during January, with the major transformation we need to the defence taking place in the summer. With Marshall and Roos on the books I see absolutely no reason why we would go out the buy another.

12 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Would think we did a good job of getting rid of deadwood in the summer.

Not sure who i would move on now?

Not without replacing with better anyway.

Malone, Jozefzoon and Marriott are still here (albeit out on loan).

Then a number of players who aren't quite suited to how we want to play such as Davies, Forsyth, Kazim and Rooney.

42 minutes ago, Oldben said:

This can't be a serious post ??

Lawrence is one of our best players. Doesn't get the credit he deserves. Waghorn should also start every game. These were the two players most were waiting to come back from injury. We'd be massively weaker without them. Lawrence gets in most championships side & i think a couple of low end prem sides would have a use for him. Not sure how he isn't good enough when we were so desperate for his return 

Goalkeeper is no longer a weak area of the team with Marshall who starts for Scotland & has pulled off some worldie saves. He's as good as a prime carson 

55 minutes ago, Oldben said:

this post seems both unrealistic and premature

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If we split the squad into two groups, those under contract until the summer, and those beyond we get the following...

Until the summer: Carson, Mitchell, Ravas, Wisdom, Evans, Davies, Clarke, Malone, Holmes, Jozefzoon, Rooney, Waghorn, Kazim

Beyond the summer: Marshall, Roos, Byrne, te Wierik, Forsyth, Buchanan, Bielik, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Shinnie, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Whittaker, Marriott

The second group obviously forms the base of the squad going forward, with Marriott almost certainly set to leave. From the first group, the likely players to sign extensions are Wisdom, Evans, Holmes, Waghorn. Waghorn's currently the only starter, with the others being squad players.

Due to the size of the squad, we should only see one or two coming in during January, with the major transformation we need to the defence taking place in the summer. With Marshall and Roos on the books I see absolutely no reason why we would go out the buy another.

I believe Evans signed a two year extension this summer 

Could well be one who’s allowed to leave next year though if a decent offer comes (more than we paid)

Archived