Match Ratings v Reading

sage

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

So, why so poor? 

I can understand the toothless forward line with the injuries we have and Marriott out of form but it sounds like we could have conceded four at home and that's unforgivable, especially since we were all so pleased with Marshall, Te Wierik and Clarke and Wisdom is a hero. 

Does this bunch of players want to play for Cocu? 

He out of form and he’s no lone striker 

Marshall - 7 (first kick was a lump out of play, good save early on, generally Ok passing thereon, couldn't be blamed for the goals)
Wisdom - 4 (at fault for goal, looks shellshocked, not convinced he won an earlier challenge completely fairly so could have been a pen)
Forsyth - 8 (not sure what more you could expect from him today aside from a better quality of cross,
MTW - 6 (clearly needs to adjust to the pace of the english game, a couple of decent headers, ok in possession aside from 1-2 shackell-esque balls)
Clarke - 7 (didn't have a lot to do individually, but calm on the ball and not at fault for anything, took the p a couple of times)
Bird - 6 (less effective further forward than hoped, but steady performance, I fear he needs someone alongside him though)
Shinnie - 5 (did nothing of note aside from getting booked, well off the pace and offered nothing in transition)
Knight - 6 (industrious as ever, we improved when he went into the midfield, he isn't a wide player)
Sibley - 5 (couldn't make it stick, could or should have been sent off; disappeared under pressure and had no room to turn
Whittaker - 5 (overall score, 6 in first half, 4 in second, has skill but too weak, ineffectual, got the ball a lot, wasted the ball a lot, some poor shots)
Marriott - 4 (failed to use his teammates when he had the ball, rarely closed anyone down off, completely miskicked it 2 times, looked v much a league one player... had an OK shot on target, I guess)

Byrne played 45 minutes so I'll give him a rating - 6 (looks like he knows what to do, got forward well enough, didn't really have any defending to do)

Sorry about this but had a rethink. Closing the ratings at 9pm for 3pm kick offs and midnight for evening matches, as the flow dries up and delays the scores. Here are the averages from today.

Marshall 6.4

Wisdom 4.1

Forsyth 5

MTW 4.4

Clarke 5.4

Bird 4.5

Shinnie 4

Knight 4.75

Sibley 4.1

Whittaker 5

Marriott 3.5

Byrne 5.5

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh David how could you?

Not sure how many times I can say this, but Marriott was ineffective hence the 3, I can't give him anything higher as it wasn't his fault as such, we just lacked anything in the final third. As I said there are at least 3 players I would pull out if I wanted to single anyone out today.

Wasn't a great day at the office in general, we need Lawrence back and someone on the opposite site to help create things otherwise we're in for a hard season no matter who is up top.

Ha ha ha. Well done glad to see you don't rate him. Of course it wasn't his fault though? Did he put the effort in? That's where this all started. Waggy couldn't trap a bag of cement but he puts himself about! And Marriott?

I didn't rate him on today because he had little to do, was it his fault? Not entirely, we're not a one man team and he's not a world class player that take a game by the scruff of the neck and make things happen by himself. He tried to make things happen a couple of times today but the 3 behind him didn't offer much at all. 

Watch the game tomorrow Roy and then come back to me, don't just piggyback and base your views on his or any players performance today purely off radio commentary, I'm not saying their opinions are invalid, but surely it's best to watch the game and form your opinions off what you see?

Ha ha ha. Well done glad to see you don't rate him. Of course it wasn't his fault though? Did he put the effort in? That's where this all started. Waggy couldn't trap a bag of cement but he puts himself about! And Marriott?

Only saw the last 30-35 mins of the game today but to single out Marriott as the 'problem' is a bit harsh - I'm sad about Martin going too but we need to move on

Marriott is a finisher - a terrier and a born finisher with an eye for a half chance and when he's confident can be devastating - But unless we have 3/4 players in the side creating chances then he can't do everything on his own - We've been lucky enough to have a couple of forwards in recent times who score and create but Marriott isn't that guy

Interesting that Sibley and Marriott are the two picked out for the worst performances - The only creator we had on the pitch and our most dangerous finisher can be easily marked out of the game with only two threats on the pitch - we need to get Lawrence back, Rooney in (or maybe Bielik) another winger, some more threat from the fullbacks (Byrne looks as if he can do that) - today we seemed to have lot of runners, working hard and passing around but no one to create and craft chances 

I'm taking this game as a blip - I have faith that Cocu knows what we need (creativity) and that our key players coming back will make a difference

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Only saw the last 30-35 mins of the game today but to single out Marriott as the 'problem' is a bit harsh - I'm sad about Martin going too but we need to move on

I said that! We need a replacement! We're going nowhere with Cocu until we get one. Marriott doesn't fit. He isn't the problem, a lack of Martin replacement IS the problem mate. 

I said that! We need a replacement! We're going nowhere with Cocu until we get one. Marriott doesn't fit. He isn't the problem, a lack of Martin replacement IS the problem mate. 

Nah not at all - Martin last season merely papered over a bigger problem - We don't create enough chances for the strikers

Last season our strikers combined were remarkably efficient at taking chances - as if not more so that the top strikers in the league (Martin and Waggers especially) - However we had fewer shots inside the box than all but 1 team in the league and were about 20th in total shots from anywhere - that says even with Martin we aren't creating enough which falls on the creators not the finishers 

If we can get Waggers back, Lawrence, Rooney and Bielik fit, Byrne integrated and not having Sibley on his own - then add a winger (or two) we're a very different proposition from today - And one which could provide for a finisher like Marriott

Archived