Electrical Advice Needed

maxjam

Got up this morning, turned my PC on took the dog for a walk.   When I got back my PC had off and following a bit of investigation its appears that most of the sockets in the house are no longer working.  We had an extension built 10+ years ago, the ones in there still work as do the ones in the garage that were put in at the same time.  All the lights still work in the house so it just looks like its the majority of the power sockets that have stopped working.

I've done the obvious - removed all the plugs, turned the sockets off and reset the electrical box but it still keeps tripping.  Is there anything else I can try or do I need an electrician?  Luckily its not Easter Sunday during the midst of a deadly global pandemic so they will be falling over themselves to come take a look ?

Fortunately with the power still in the extension and garage we can keep our food refridgerated/frozen and through a system of hastily borrowed extension cables now have all 4 of our computers back up and running.  It looks like some sort of death trap health hazard but the expression of sheer horror on the kids faces this morning as they realised that easter eggs were no replacement for lack of internet means that needs must!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, maxjam said:

...do I need an electrician?  Luckily its not Easter Sunday during the midst of a deadly global pandemic so they will be falling over themselves to come take a look ?

I just wanted to clarify that my laughing emoji reaction thingy was for this bit, and this bit only!

I can offer no advice.

Just now, Paul71 said:

do you power to an outside shed or anything like that 

Nope, and no one else was up at 6:30am - 7:30am when I was out of the house walking the dog switching things on/off.  The only thing that was on was my PC (that has since been moved and turned on again with no problems).  I'm no expert and am at a loss as to what the problem might be - just want to make sure I've ruled out all the obvious before I try and find someone willing to come out and take a look.

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Nope, and no one else was up at 6:30am - 7:30am when I was out of the house walking the dog switching things on/off.  The only thing that was on was my PC (that has since been moved and turned on again with no problems).  I'm no expert and am at a loss as to what the problem might be - just want to make sure I've ruled out all the obvious before I try and find someone willing to come out and take a look.

yeah its tough,  if you have unplugged everything my guess would be water getting into something somewhere. 

reckon you need a leccy out. good luck,  probably just needs a fuse changing somewhere but by the time you have done you will be told you need your entire house rewiring. 

You’ve got a fault on that older circuit. 
Possibly old pvc plastic on the cables is deteriorating and it’s shorting somewhere.

10 minutes ago, RamNut said:

You’ve got a fault on that older circuit. 
Possibly old pvc plastic on the cables is deteriorating and it’s shorting somewhere.

Yeah, I can't see any water getting in anywhere - and its been dry for days.  I've gone through the obvious stuff in my head so pretty sure its a problem with the older circuit and a job for a professional.  

I've lived in various houses of my own for 25 years, its just typical that the first time anything has ever gone wrong no one is supposed to leave the house!

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yup, fuse box has loads of switches for various things everything is working fine apart from the one labelled 'Sockets'

I'd go hunting all the odd places - under the sink, in the roof space, garage sockets. Must be something plugged in somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I'd go hunting all the odd places - under the sink, in the roof space, garage sockets. Must be something plugged in somewhere. 

I double checked this morning, but won't hurt to have another look for anything I may have forgotten about before I try and ring an electrician.

8 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Yeah, I can't see any water getting in anywhere - and its been dry for days.  I've gone through the obvious stuff in my head so pretty sure its a problem with the older circuit and a job for a professional.  

I've lived in various houses of my own for 25 years, its just typical that the first time anything has ever gone wrong no one is supposed to leave the house!

If you have a bath panel and can get access check behind it. - if you haven't already.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

Got up this morning, turned my PC on took the dog for a walk.   When I got back my PC had off and following a bit of investigation its appears that most of the sockets in the house are no longer working.  We had an extension built 10+ years ago, the ones in there still work as do the ones in the garage that were put in at the same time.  All the lights still work in the house so it just looks like its the majority of the power sockets that have stopped working.

I've done the obvious - removed all the plugs, turned the sockets off and reset the electrical box but it still keeps tripping.  Is there anything else I can try or do I need an electrician?  Luckily its not Easter Sunday during the midst of a deadly global pandemic so they will be falling over themselves to come take a look ?

Fortunately with the power still in the extension and garage we can keep our food refridgerated/frozen and through a system of hastily borrowed extension cables now have all 4 of our computers back up and running.  It looks like some sort of death trap health hazard but the expression of sheer horror on the kids faces this morning as they realised that easter eggs were no replacement for lack of internet means that needs must!

Pm sent.

Archived