Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

If you can work from home, continue to do so.
If you can't work from home, go to work tomorrow... if you can... and avoid public transport (Not sure if that last bit is a request or an order?)

If hairdressers can't legally open, then you can't go to work.
Barmaids can't go back yet, as pubs can't open.
@B4ev6is can't go back to work yet, as cinemas won't be open until July... At the earliest.
Muckerette cannot go back, as High Street shops can't re-open until July... At the earliest. 

I can go back to work... but I can do the majority from home, so will continue to WFH, and pop in to the office as and when I need to (inc a couple of hours tomorrow morning.  I've done about 8 hours/3 visits in the office since lockdown began), so no change for me.

Not just that I have to use public transport to work and because rules I could end being late for work because of it . And I never ever been late for work ever.

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I'm guessing that was a deliberate ploy on his part?
Might gibe a further week or two for many employers to prepare?  

The time to give a week or two was a week or two ago, not the evening before.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Let's be honest you could have predicted how the haters were going to respond.

This is about LIFE and DEATH! FFS it's not about haters - take your political message and put it somewhere else!

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Why what was hard to understand about it?

If you can’t work at home, go to work if it’s safe to do so.

Who is it that is to decide that? Would it be me or would it be my boss, as I imagine in plenty of instances the level of safety that those two people were comfortable with in the workplace would be very different? Has my boss been briefed on that or am I going to get a text this evening telling me I’m expected back at work tomorrow? How am I going to get to work when I have to use public transport? What position am I in if I am made to go to work but upon getting there don’t feel safe?

All would be very valid concerns if I were in that position. Luckily I’m not, my employer and my boss wouldn’t allow it - but all of these questions were less pertinent before the statement as after.

4 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

The time to give a week or two was a week or two ago, not the evening before.

That's why I used the term "Deliberate ploy".
Most people won't now be going back to work tomorrow (Because the employers won't be ready).  If the warning and preparations had started a fortnight ago, many would be returning tomorrow.  Maybe he doesn't want everyone going back tomorrow, Maybe he wants yesterday's restrictions to continue a little longer, but didn't have the cojones to enforce them for a further fortnight or so?

No issue with the statement.

May have liked a line in there about spending time with grandparents (a yes or a no).

- He is encouraging more businesses to open back up (lots closed who didn’t need to) but fairly obviously the companies will need to maintain social distancing 

- He’s been clear that multiple outdoor exercising is permitted instead of once

- He’s been clear that you can play sport with the same family member 

- He said a clear intention on Primary schools and was specific on the year groups

Lots more detail will follow tomorrow and I’m sure the last 3/4 days the docs were out together. So when people are saying why wasn’t this statement possible on Thursday - this supporting data is exactly why.

Just now, rammieib said:

Lots more detail will follow tomorrow and I’m sure the last 3/4 days the docs were out together. So when people are saying why wasn’t this statement possible on Thursday - this supporting data is exactly why.

But he wants people to go back to work tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Who is it that is to decide that? Would it be me or would it be my boss, as I imagine in plenty of instances the level of safety that those two people were comfortable with in the workplace would be very different? Has my boss been briefed on that or am I going to get a text this evening telling me I’m expected back at work tomorrow? How am I going to get to work when I have to use public transport? What position am I in if I am made to go to work but upon getting there don’t feel safe?

All would be very valid concerns if I were in that position. Luckily I’m not, my employer and my boss wouldn’t allow it - but all of these questions were less pertinent before the statement as after.

The same as you were in January, or all of 2019?

17 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Companies (unless leisure/hospitality) were never asked to close.

A company has a requirement to ensure social distancing is in effect. (Just like a company has a legal requirement for H&S in the workplace).

Public transport isn’t closed but just strongly recommending you not to use it. (Probably in an effort to get to this 10% only ratio).

This comment is certainly not a criticism of you but I feel a lot of employees will now just find excuses to avoid working. The rules are clear to me. (Except for cross borders! I have an issue there!)

I also fully believe the Government have taken the current approach as a soft opening. Slowly but surely companies will start opening back up now. There won’t be an instant rush and that will allow it to be controlled in a reasonable way.

25 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Let's be honest you could have predicted how the haters were going to respond.

Keir Starmer probably already had his speech written.

It's no wonder the Government arent comfortable with giving the public responsibility if they cant even apply a bit of common sense to the speech he has just delivered.

Were they expecting him to list every business in the country and say when they could re-open?

Exactly.. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Does that not include tomorrow then? 

Lets apply common sense. Your employer will begin contacting you most likely from tomorrow about a way to open up.

If any individual thinks they need to knock of their works door at 8am tomorrow having been closed/furloughed with zero communication from their management then god help us.

From tomorrow - this means try to start introducing work back in tomorrow onwards.

Lets be honest, lots of things would mean common sense has to apply here - if you started furlough last week, you have minimum two more weeks to go. Your employer may need time to work our social distancing rules. Your employer will most likely use tomorrow onwards to formulate opening plans etc 

Lets not take it too literally.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

A company has a requirement to ensure social distancing is in effect. (Just like a company has a legal requirement for H&S in the workplace).

Public transport isn’t closed but just strongly recommending you not to use it. (Probably in an effort to get to this 10% only ratio).

This comment is certainly not a criticism of you but I feel a lot of employees will now just find excuses to avoid working. The rules are clear I me.

I also fully believe the Government have taken the current approach as a soft opening. Slowly but surely companies will start opening back up now. There won’t be an instant rush and that will allow it to be controlled in a reasonable way.

All valid points, but if my hypothetical employer were to take me off furlough tomorrow as they have just interpreted the Prime Minister’s comments as such (I have no idea on the notice etc involved so that may be inaccurate) I’d have little choice but to go back to continue earning. If I went back and found social distancing wasn’t in place to my satisfaction it wouldn’t be much consolation that I could report it to the Health and Safety standards, even more so if my only route to work was using public transport. 

I absolutely agree with a very gradual easing of the lockdown - think it is definitely the way to go. I absolutely do not agree with statements at 7pm on a Sunday evening that in the eyes of some could be open to interpretation. 

15 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This comment is certainly not a criticism of you but I feel a lot of employees will now just find excuses to avoid working. The rules are clear I me.

Spot on. I have people on furlough and they will stay that way until we can bring them back safely and when work demands. We have plans in place for social distancing and home working.. PPE is ready for everyone and luckily, only one person uses public transport and I will sort something out for him. 
I am sure most companies have been doing similar, it all just needs to be managed properly. Couple of details I need to know about re the govt guidelines but I am pretty sure there won’t be any hidden mines in there.. Just got to roll with the punches for a bit. 

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Lets apply common sense. Your employer will begin contacting you most likely from tomorrow about a way to open up.

If any individual thinks they need to knock of their works door at 8am tomorrow having been closed/furloughed with zero communication from their management then god help us.

From tomorrow - this means try to start introducing work back in tomorrow onwards.

Lets be honest, lots of things would mean common sense has to apply here - if you started furlough last week, you have minimum two more weeks to go. Your employer may need time to work our social distancing rules. Your employer will most likely use tomorrow onwards to formulate opening plans etc 

Lets not take it too literally.

Please tell me this is a joke.

I've just got on a bus (because I didnt understand what BJ meant when he said dont use public transport) and I'm on my way to work because he said everyone must re-open at 12:01 didnt he?

I'm just not looking forward to my dinner break because he didnt tell me how fast I was allowed to walk around the park ?

Archived