The Politics Thread 2020

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, TramRam said:

In some instances you're right, There are those that will go over board with drink, I've witnessed it, Then again there's those that don't, You don't have to portray a Neanderthal to celebrate a Patron Saint or a Country.

Not sure where you live, In Derbys market place at 11am on the 23rd there are hundreds of folk watching a speech then a little act of St George slaying a dragon, Pretty sure when pubs again open there will be beer flowing as normal and the Country will resume to old practices of punching faces in at weekends

I've seen English people celebrate St Patricks day, An excuse to get blitzed.

You're right, it's not solely about alcohol. You're hard pushed to find St Patrick's day celebrations that don't involve getting drunk. I think the difference is the level of nationalism attached to both of the two days. St Patrick's day is more likely to involve dancing, music, partying and "kiss me, I'm Irish". I don't recall seeing any nationalistic defending of Ireland on that day - which is also a little surprising. There's one or two factions in Ireland, I believe, who don't mind marching about. 

Keir Starmer already calling for an investigation. Good to see that he is sticking to his word and working with the Government to beat coronavirus.

Apart from being an important day in the church for those who took or still take religion seriously, St.Patrick's Day was an important day for Irish people (or of Irish descent) who lived outside Ireland. A day to remind themselves of who they were and where they came from and to celebrate it. All my best St. Patrick's Days were in England for example. In Ireland the day, while a national holiday was always a lot more muted. There is little need to remind yourself of your Irishness if you are stuck in Ireland 365 days a year. Recent efforts at organized celebrations have really only been an embarrassed response to the events in the US and elsewhere. The fact that Paddy's Day seems to be a non sectarian event is likely due, partially at least, to the fact that Patrick is a pre Reformation figure, and therefore nobody can really say if he's a Catholic or Protestant. He is applicable to any version of Irishness. 

23 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Apart from being an important day in the church for those who took or still take religion seriously, St.Patrick's Day was an important day for Irish people (or of Irish descent) who lived outside Ireland. A day to remind themselves of who they were and where they came from and to celebrate it. All my best St. Patrick's Days were in England for example. In Ireland the day, while a national holiday was always a lot more muted. There is little need to remind yourself of your Irishness if you are stuck in Ireland 365 days a year. Recent efforts at organized celebrations have really only been an embarrassed response to the events in the US and elsewhere. The fact that Paddy's Day seems to be a non sectarian event is likely due, partially at least, to the fact that Patrick is a pre Reformation figure, and therefore nobody can really say if he's a Catholic or Protestant. He is applicable to any version of Irishness. 

Gid forbid being stuck in Ireland 365 day a year. 

9 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I despair. 

Hundreds of fake social media accounts. Created by DHSC. Stolen identities of real NHS staff. Used without their knowledge. 

If a company did this heads would be rolling. 

https://skwawkbox.org/2020/04/21/biggest-political-scandal-since-cambridge-analytica-about-to-break-as-fake-nhs-accounts-set-up-by-dept-of-health/

Old (possibly fake) news.

Potential game changer right here...

Could Michelle Obama be our next Vice President?

While the former first lady has refused to enter the Presidential elections as a contender herself, she might just be Joe Biden's pick for VP.

In an interview with KDKA’s Jon Delano, presumptive Democratic Presidential candidate Joe Biden claimed he would take Michelle Obama as his pick for Vice President "in a heartbeat." Though he added that the former first lady has no desire to live anywhere near the White House any time soon, this did raise questions about whether Biden was considering her as his running mate, CNN reports. After eight long years beside her husband former President Barack Obama, perhaps she will need some time to think about returning to the White House. However, the United States could really use some of her leadership right now.

Full article here - https://scoop.upworthy.com/could-michelle-obama-be-our-next-vice-president?fbclid=IwAR0WL72EverEtUvqOB2qI1QfHN2EKYydxmMAj7PFr69v6dl9tBP5ccIxOwM

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Keir Starmer already calling for an investigation. Good to see that he is sticking to his word and working with the Government to beat coronavirus.

Maybe he's doing both - calling for an investigation and working with the government (as best he can) to beat coronavirus?

12 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

Maybe he's doing both - calling for an investigation and working with the government (as best he can) to beat coronavirus?

Probably. 

Maybe it's just me but if I was focused on beating coronavirus, the last thing on my mind would be calling for investigations before the crisis is over.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Probably. 

Maybe it's just me but if I was focused on beating coronavirus, the last thing on my mind would be calling for investigations before the crisis is over.

I can understand that. As he's the new Labour Party Leader though, it would be surprising for him not to be asking for an investigation I think.

52 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

He's probably expecting a slow response so better get in fast

Sure he is fine with slow responses judging by how his beloved EU have reacted in recent months 

Archived