Birmingham City (H) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin puts Zoon through on goal and despite a heavy first touch it's a good shooting opportunity but slices wide. 

Then Paterson is through and could shoot but doesn't have the pace to take it on. Instead he cuts inside and tries to beat a couple of players, before a very risky Brum tackle from behind puts it behind for a corner. Should it have been a pen? Probably not. Then a cross from Holmes behind the forwards, but Derby's best period in the game. 

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Hudds as the sitting midfielder?

Yeah - although Holmes has commonly been coming deep to help the defense to midfield transition, when you see the team set up in shape - Holmes is ahead of Huddz.

Holmes decides to take a yellow.

Lowe wins the ball well but then gets unlucky with a ricochet and is out of position. Holmes takes Brum out before they can capitalise. 

1 minute ago, Shang said:

I think it's more of a 4-2-3-1.

Holmes and Huddlestone as the central defensive 2.

Paterson as a 10 who floats around the pitch with Zoon and Waggy on the wings.

Watching it more closely since the question was asked; I feel like the formation changes depending on whether we're in or out of possession. 

HT 1-0. 

Decent performance so far. Defending well; and creating a few chances. Could do with creating more; but ok so far.

Malone playing well, but Lowe is having another superb performance. Interesting decision to be made when Bogle is 100% fit. Gotta be Lowe moving to LB for me.

Plenty of positives.

Paterson, Josefzoon, and Waghorn all bringing different things to our attacks. There’s a nice blend to the front 4. 

Holmes is a breath of fresh air every time he gets the ball. 

45 minutes to build on. Considering the week and how low on confidence we are, I’m more than happy with that display. 

3 minutes ago, Shang said:

I think it's more of a 4-2-3-1.

Holmes and Huddlestone as the central defensive 2.

Paterson as a 10 who floats around the pitch with Zoon and Waggy on the wings.

This is the basic formation but with Holmes with licence to go forward and link with the attack. 

Ref giving Brum absolutely everything. Weird. 

Lots to be happy about. A bit of consistency with this line up and things will really click. I can see flojo and Paterson building a real understanding with Martin who is starting to look back to his best. Holmes looking great as usual and Davies has been fantastic.

Roos still terrifies me.

Much better performance. Still hardly brilliant, but much better- especially considering the circumstances. Certainly a step in the right direction at least, some better one touch football and movement being played. Holmes, Martin and Paterson all excellent and linking up well. Still shaky in defence (Bielik doesn’t look comfortable) and we need to stop giving the ball away so cheaply, but it’s a world better than last week so far.

Brum using the Stoke and Delap long throw from anywhere in our half, targeting Jutekiewicz (sp?). The aerial bombardment is difficult and I fear may eventually lead to a goal. 

Derby looked far more dangerous and in the game for the last 20 minutes. Martin is the vital hold-up man, linking everything and bringing others into play. 

We're constantly whacking it to Roos with one or two men on him. He's coped really well but given there are two players in position to charge our keeper our defenders should be able to find a forward pass instead.

Next goal vital. I'll be happy if there isn't one! 

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Brum using the Stoke and Delap long throw from anywhere in our half, targeting Jutekiewicz (sp?). The aerial bombardment is difficult and I fear may eventually lead to a goal. 

Derby looked far more dangerous and in the game for the last 20 minutes. Martin is the vital hold-up man, linking everything and bringing others into play. 

We're constantly whacking it to Roos with one or two men on him. He's coped really well but given there are two players in position to chargr our keeper our defenders should be able to find a forward pass instead.

Next goal vital. I'll be happy if there isn't one! 

Absolutely. Martin dropping deep & players running on. That’s the key to unlock defences. Martin MOTM so far. 

Archived