• Last Reply

Roos
                   Keogh Bielik Clarke
Bennett/Zoon                            Lowe
                       Evans    Dowell
                           Lawrence
                    Marriott  Waghorn

Hamer, Buchannan, Malone, Shinnie, Knight, Zoon/Bennett, Martin

I'd be confident of that side performing. I feel like it was pretty brutal on Evans getting dropped and Dowell just needs game time to get up to speed. 

I'd prefer Bennett to play at RWB for now because his end product is so much better than Zoon's. 

If Zoon plays there he does provide a bit more pace to scare defenders a bit - would be great if he used it occasionally!          

1 hour ago, rynny said:

One of the best LBs in the Prem history is the right footed Dennis Irwin.

The only issue I have with Lowe at RB is our current left back. 

But Irwin wasn't expected to bomb forward and provide width.  He had Giggs doing that in front of him. 

We're expecting Lowe to play like a winger at times, but he either has to cut in on his strong foot, or try and whip a cross in with his weak foot.  Not Lowe's fault obviously, he's doing a decent job for the team when needs must.

5 minutes ago, EulogyForEvolution said:

Roos
                   Keogh Bielik Clarke
Bennett/Zoon                            Lowe
                       Evans    Dowell
                           Lawrence
                    Marriott  Waghorn

Hamer, Buchannan, Malone, Shinnie, Knight, Zoon/Bennett, Martin

I'd be confident of that side performing. I feel like it was pretty brutal on Evans getting dropped and Dowell just needs game time to get up to speed. 

I'd prefer Bennett to play at RWB for now because his end product is so much better than Zoon's. 

If Zoon plays there he does provide a bit more pace to scare defenders a bit - would be great if he used it occasionally!          

Just don’t get Bennett as RWB.

But I do like that team. 

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Just don’t get Bennett as RWB.

But I do like that team. 

Yeah, he definitely wouldn't be my first choice. I just think that he's a strong runner and can whip a good ball in for the strikers. 

You might be right that Zoon tracks back more successfully - I just don't trust his decision making on the ball. He seems to have absolutely no confidence in himself whatsoever. 

That moment in the last match where Keogh laid an overlap on a plate for him and he just wouldn't move was baffling!

Keogh got down the wing better than he did for much of the time he was on the field.

It would be Bennett for me until Bogle is back.. Zoon needs some time out the squad to gain confidence, I've never known a player offer so little in 4 games! Atleast Bennett will give 100%, will track back and can put a decent cross in..  

2 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

It would be Bennett for me until Bogle is back.. Zoon needs some time out the squad to gain confidence, I've never known a player offer so little in 4 games! Atleast Bennett will give 100%, will track back and can put a decent cross in..  

Thing is Bogle will be a good while yet me thinks. 

Seemed to be hobbling well Tuesday night 

Don't understand people saying that Bennett doesn't track back. I think it's one of his strengths, for an attacking player. On Tuesday I remember a quick counter attack at the end of the first half and it was Bennett who got back to nick the ball just over the half way line. That's just one example. I can remember plenty more in other games. He may not be the best tackler, but it's not for lack of effort.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

Don't understand people saying that Bennett doesn't track back. I think it's one of his strengths, for an attacking player. On Tuesday I remember a quick counter attack at the end of the first half and it was Bennett who got back to nick the ball just over the half way line. That's just one example. I can remember plenty more in other games. He may not be the best tackler, but it's not for lack of effort.

I’ve always said Bennett has very little end product. 

I want the lad to do well as he’s one of our own .

Still work in progress massively IMO 

Lowe has done as well as could be expected for a player out of position and very left footed.  There can be no criticism of him really, but I agree that a square peg in a round hole is always going to have some negative impacts (though in this case I think it was more of an issue offensively than defensively- and it was the other side of the pitch where the big problems occurred).

FWIW I didn’t think Zoon had that bad a game when he came on.  I tend to think people are predisposed to how they will react to certain players and that has led to a lot of criticism.  His final ball was poor, but he got up and down and got into decent crossing positions.  If he started on Saturday there I wouldn’t be crying about it (though neither would I be jumping for joy).

16 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Sort of get what you mean but I would argue that crossing is the best part of his game and what we desperately lacked in the second half as we got down the sides frequently but had poor delivery. His passing and dribbling is generally pretty avaerage though. 

If Holmes is fit now after the U23 game, I would play him as a RWB. Can take a player on either side, crosses reasonably well, and is prepared to put his foot in despite being only 5ft tall.  

25 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Half agree with you, therefore half disagree. His goal tally really should be higher, but he was one of our leading assisters last year. In the first three or four games I think he directly assisted 3 goals, through sheer determination and excellent crosses. He's not the best footballer in the Championship, but there are many worse. I think that if Flojo had been the one substituted on Tuesday and Bennett put at right back then everyone would be saying how well he had done. Their left back was crying out to be run at, but Flojo absolutely refused. Bennett wouldn't have needed a second thought to attack him, they were giving so much room down that right flank!

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Oh dear Cocu has already tried out the solution and it worked against Stoke and Bristol 2nd halves.  Malone going off each time. 

Why is everyone on the Dutch wing backs back. 

This he can’t cross a ball stuff is garbage talk and he tracks back.

His pass to Marriott for the goal also 

I'll offer a another point of view. It didn't really work against Stoke at all, we looked chaotic at the back, let in a poor (but well taken) goal by being pulled apart by a simple long ball, and we were fortunate that we were up against a side which lacked confidence and which after we equalised were sitting back aiming for a point. We didn't win the game but it was a decent point. 

On Tuesday did it work? Bristol City were already 2-0 and showed little intention to attack in the second half. You could argue it worked because we didn't let in a goal, equally you could argue it didn't because we lost and therefore the benefit of the switch did not bear out. I don't mind 3 at the back by the way, we might have the players best suited to that, especially when Marriott and Holmes are fit.

Secondly we will never get anywhere with Josefzoon in the team. It's not his fault, he just isn't good enough. Against Stoke he was lazy as much as he was poor, and on Tuesday night had loads of the ball and regularly mishit his cross, didn't beat the first man or just abdicated responsibility by passing five yards back to Keogh. How many times did he put it into a dangerous area for the strikers to attack?

Yes he did pass to Marriott from which Marriott scored. But if his sole contribution after all that play is a simple five yard pass - and to a player with his back to goal so he hardly laid the goal on - then it's not enough.

I'd really like to see him do well, but nothing we saw last season or so far this suggests he is up to scratch for a regular spot in a team aiming for promotion. And if we're playing with wing backs, they become a really important part of the set up.

Until we can improve in that area I'd prefer Bennett, at least with him you get guts, strength and a positive attitude. 

33 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I'll offer a another point of view. It didn't really work against Stoke at all, we looked chaotic at the back, let in a poor (but well taken) goal by being pulled apart by a simple long ball, and we were fortunate that we were up against a side which lacked confidence and which after we equalised were sitting back aiming for a point. We didn't win the game but it was a decent point. 

On Tuesday did it work? Bristol City were already 2-0 and showed little intention to attack in the second half. You could argue it worked because we didn't let in a goal, equally you could argue it didn't because we lost and therefore the benefit of the switch did not bear out. I don't mind 3 at the back by the way, we might have the players best suited to that, especially when Marriott and Holmes are fit.

Secondly we will never get anywhere with Josefzoon in the team. It's not his fault, he just isn't good enough. Against Stoke he was lazy as much as he was poor, and on Tuesday night had loads of the ball and regularly mishit his cross, didn't beat the first man or just abdicated responsibility by passing five yards back to Keogh. How many times did he put it into a dangerous area for the strikers to attack?

Yes he did pass to Marriott from which Marriott scored. But if his sole contribution after all that play is a simple five yard pass - and to a player with his back to goal so he hardly laid the goal on - then it's not enough.

I'd really like to see him do well, but nothing we saw last season or so far this suggests he is up to scratch for a regular spot in a team aiming for promotion. And if we're playing with wing backs, they become a really important part of the set up.

Until we can improve in that area I'd prefer Bennett, at least with him you get guts, strength and a positive attitude. 

It did actually work against Stoke because prior to the system change Stoke were absolutely battering us having hit post and bar and should of scored on both occasions with Allen and Ince plus they did score to equalize.

Yes we got caught out for the second goal with a long punt from Butland but generally played better 2nd half at Stoke and Waghorn should of buried his chance from a brilliant ball by  Joz .

2nd half against Bristol we played well  after system change. 

Bennett flatters to deceive and yes he puts himself about generally mis controlling and yes he put in one good cross first half for Lawrence who could of scored but equally Bennett blazed a good chance over which he often does and he really doesn’t score enough goals  .

Si I say play the same system with Malone at LB and Lowe at RB against WBA and I only see one result another defeat  

Archived