Matt Clarke

inter politics

Cocu has improved Clarke but did not do as well with other loans. What was the main reason for Bennett going to Rowett. Millwall have 6 games left, all easier than ours. I have not ruled them out. They are capable of winning all 6 games.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Cocu has improved Clarke but did not do as well with other loans. What was the main reason for Bennett going to Rowett. Millwall have 6 games left, all easier than ours. I have not ruled them out. They are capable of winning all 6 games.

They've won 2 of 12 games, I suggest that winning all 6 might be a long shot.

4 minutes ago, Srg said:

They've won 2 of 12 games, I suggest that winning all 6 might be a long shot.

It is strange how teams can win games and look very hard to beat them they drop to bits with more or less the same players. See Rams post Xmas collapses for details. The opposite rarely happens but with only Rooney arriving after Xmas a poor team now looks a totally different proposition. A few twists and turns left in this one. I have a very poor record of predicting scores in this league. I got a nose bleed getting into Div 3 of Mozza's prediction leagues.

9 minutes ago, Rampage said:

It is strange how teams can win games and look very hard to beat them they drop to bits with more or less the same players. See Rams post Xmas collapses for details. The opposite rarely happens but with only Rooney arriving after Xmas a poor team now looks a totally different proposition. A few twists and turns left in this one. I have a very poor record of predicting scores in this league. I got a nose bleed getting into Div 3 of Mozza's prediction leagues.

I know their slide started pre lockdown, but on the face of it, no fans for home games would effect a team like Millwall a lot more than it would some you would imagine.

5 hours ago, Rampage said:

What was the main reason for Bennett going to Rowett. Millwall have 6 games left, all easier than ours. I have not ruled them out. They are capable of winning all 6 games.

Is he fit? He went off at half-time, can't see him completing the season fit tbh.

10 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

You know what?

I’d rather have Clarke than Tomori. 

Tomori is a good footballer and his pace is incredible but he can’t judge a header and in the championship that’s a vital skill. Last season Keogh dug him out of a hole a few times.

Tomori will undoubtedly become a terrific defender but Clarke has been a rock of late. I’d love to see him back next year.

I understand what you're saying, but I just think Tomori is the vastly superior footballer. Quicker, stronger, better on the ball. Tomori had bad positioning and wasn't great in the air when he joined us, but when he left he was excellent at it. Clarke is decent. I don't think he'll ever be better than decent though.

8 hours ago, Rampage said:

There are many factors that come into play when looking at a team's progression in a league, the psychological factor being an important and often overlooked quantity.  Barnsley looked sure for relegation before the restart, now they have won 2 and drawn 1 and have carved themselves out a fighting chance of avoiding relegation, a feat they have managed before on at least a couple of occasions, if memory serves me right.  Something has gotten them fired up, perhaps as simple as the edge of a cliff.

Rooney arriving at our club was a massive boost, not just because of his great footballing skills and understanding of the game, but also the psychological impact he has made on the rest of the team.  Everyone wants to show their best for a master, in whatever field we might choose to inspect, not least in football.  He is a winner and that attitude spreads among the players, to also be winners.

Not that my opinion is any worthier than yours, i wallowing presently in the lower half of the 3rd division of Mozza league

2 hours ago, Andicis said:

I understand what you're saying, but I just think Tomori is the vastly superior footballer. Quicker, stronger, better on the ball. Tomori had bad positioning and wasn't great in the air when he joined us, but when he left he was excellent at it. Clarke is decent. I don't think he'll ever be better than decent though.

i think that's rather harsh, he has improved significantly says Cocu and for a center half he is still quite young and nowhere near his prime.  Tomori and Clarke are totally different kinds of players.  It's like asking Beatles or Stones, the question is invalid.

25 minutes ago, ramit said:

i think that's rather harsh, he has improved significantly says Cocu and for a center half he is still quite young and nowhere near his prime.  Tomori and Clarke are totally different kinds of players.  It's like asking Beatles or Stones, the question is invalid.

Tomori is younger than Clarke. And a better player. It's fine, Clarke is a fine player. I doubt he'll ever be Premier League though, he has too many limitations. He's a good Championship player. 

39 minutes ago, ramit said:

A good solid stopper who can play a bit, like Clarke and a top class footballing brain is the ideal combo at centre halves. Let's hope that Clarke and Wierk / Bielik can get us close to that. I have certainly underestimated the ability of Cocu and Co to train the cogs that make his ideal team work like a well oiled machine. It is not primarily about motivation more about learning to fit in the different formations of the team and to make it look seamless. We are seeing evidence of that at an increasing rate. I think that Cocu is less concerned about the defence than I am because he has not watched the previous frailties that I have witnessed.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Tomori is younger than Clarke. And a better player. It's fine, Clarke is a fine player. I doubt he'll ever be Premier League though, he has too many limitations. He's a good Championship player. 

As is my fellow Ram, as is

51 minutes ago, Rampage said:

A good solid stopper who can play a bit, like Clarke and a top class footballing brain is the ideal combo at centre halves. Let's hope that Clarke and Wierk / Bielik can get us close to that. I have certainly underestimated the ability of Cocu and Co to train the cogs that make his ideal team work like a well oiled machine. It is not primarily about motivation more about learning to fit in the different formations of the team and to make it look seamless. We are seeing evidence of that at an increasing rate. I think that Cocu is less concerned about the defence than I am because he has not watched the previous frailties that I have witnessed.

No, it is not primarily about motivation, but it does play a significant part.  Agreed, it's not as much about the individual skills of players as about the cohesion of a solid unit and that's what Cocu is building.  i had initial doubts about Cocu, based on his philosophy of possession football in a league full of direct, pressing,  counter attacking teams, but i tip my hat in his direction for where we seem to be heading as a team.  The guy knows his football, although i had my doubts that he knew anything about this league at first.

Archived