Matt Clarke

inter politics

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

How many defensive partners has he had this season?

Has to be in with a shout of our POTY surely? 

Could get it by default. Not many other options than have played well pre New Year.

18 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Immense today. The emergence of Ben White might do us a favour. I can see him coming back on loan again next season.

Ben White is classier on the ball, not that Clarke isn’t a ball player anyway, but not as good a defender 

Considering the absolute defensive mess we’ve been this season - what with all the injuries and Keoghs sacking etc - Clarke has had a really good season. He’s not been as spectacularly good as Tomori, especially on the ball, but he’s been really important to this side in terms of holding the defence together. You only have to look at our record while he was out injured to see his influence.

Despite some dodgy performances (which pretty much everyone in the squad has had this season), he’s got to be in the running for player of the year based on his importance to the team. Lawrence (for his goals) and Rooney (for the upturn in form since his arrival) also have pretty decent shouts for POTY, but I think it would take Sibley putting in a few more performances like the one against Millwall to take the award away from Clarke at the minute.

50 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Immense today. The emergence of Ben White might do us a favour. I can see him coming back on loan again next season.

The rate things are going we might pass Brighton along the way. No reason he couldn't become a permanent player. 

On 31/01/2020 at 23:14, Ambitious said:

Clarke would be 6th or even 7th choice at Brighton at the moment? Dunk, Duffy, Balogun, Webster, Burn and White all potentially ahead of him in their eyes. 

Saw Brighton the other evening on t'telly box that sits next to the wireless and sterogram, and they were bizarrely playing Dan Burn at left back....

13 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Considering the absolute defensive mess we’ve been this season - what with all the injuries and Keoghs sacking etc - Clarke has had a really good season. He’s not been as spectacularly good as Tomori, especially on the ball, but he’s been really important to this side in terms of holding the defence together. You only have to look at our record while he was out injured to see his influence.

Despite some dodgy performances (which pretty much everyone in the squad has had this season), he’s got to be in the running for player of the year based on his importance to the team. Lawrence (for his goals) and Rooney (for the upturn in form since his arrival) also have pretty decent shouts for POTY, but I think it would take Sibley putting in a few more performances like the one against Millwall to take the award away from Clarke at the minute.

You know what?

I’d rather have Clarke than Tomori. 

Tomori is a good footballer and his pace is incredible but he can’t judge a header and in the championship that’s a vital skill. Last season Keogh dug him out of a hole a few times.

Tomori will undoubtedly become a terrific defender but Clarke has been a rock of late. I’d love to see him back next year.

39 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

You know what?

Tomori is a good footballer and his pace is incredible but he can’t judge a header and in the championship that’s a vital skill. Last season Keogh dug him out of a hole a few times.

Tomori will undoubtedly become a terrific defender but Clarke has been a rock of late. I’d love to see him back next year.

He got his head on everything last night, I can’t remember him having a better game.  Really would like to sign him permanently.

15 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

All sounded nice and sensible until I read “Lawrence” for POTY.....!!!

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

You know what?

I’m not sure I’d go that far to be honest. We all knew about Tomori’s weakness in the air, but he was absolutely excellent at pretty much everything else - especially his passing and tackling. He was undoubtedly one of the best defenders in the championship and that’s why he’s now playing at the very highest level (and doing a decent job up there too!). You’d have to be insane not to swap Clarke for Tomori if offered right now imo, but I don’t think it’s really fair to draw comparisons between them as they’re playing at totally different levels of football. 

All that really matters is that Clarke is a good championship level defender who’s had a very good season for us given everything that’s gone on around him. There’s no doubt in my mind, based on what we’ve seen during his loan, that we should look to sign him permanently.

48 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m not sure I’d go that far to be honest. We all knew about Tomori’s weakness in the air, but he was absolutely excellent at pretty much everything else - especially his passing and tackling. He was undoubtedly one of the best defenders in the championship and that’s why he’s now playing at the very highest level (and doing a decent job up there too!). You’d have to be insane not to swap Clarke for Tomori if offered right now imo, but I don’t think it’s really fair to draw comparisons between them as they’re playing at totally different levels of football. 

All that really matters is that Clarke is a good championship level defender who’s had a very good season for us given everything that’s gone on around him. There’s no doubt in my mind, based on what we’ve seen during his loan, that we should look to sign him permanently.

Get both , come on Mel you know it makes sense ?

On 06/08/2019 at 00:07, tombomb said:

great performance!! should of tried to buy him at 3.5mill. I think if we want him at the end of this year hes going to cost silly money. 

We need to buy players before Cocu improves them.

3 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Played like Mark Wright on his day off last night.

I have to say I thought that Clarke and Evans were both exceptional last night...and Curtis too actually. 

it’s weird having a defense playing well...whatever next...a goalie catching crosses....??

Archived