Galloway sacked

Archied

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you be anti-Israel without being anti-Semitic. 

Can I be anti-American without being anti-Christian, or anti-Qatar without being anti-Muslim. 

I think a lot of people have issues with Israel as a country and their policies, but don’t have any issues with the Jewish religion. Surely that’s should be allowed. 

He has been daft though. He’s just seen Fanny baker get sacked for less. It was a comment that didn’t need to be made, and he couldn’t really expect anything less. 

8 hours ago, Archied said:

Right or wrong ?

For being racist? Do we even need to ask that question?

Spurs are a football team - Not some representation of the Jewish community - The majority of their fans aren't Jewish and those that are mostly have no affiliation with Israel

He's used a lazy stereotype of a football club in order to push his own anti-Israel agenda

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Can you be anti-Israel without being anti-Semitic. 

Can I be anti-American without being anti-Christian, or anti-Qatar without being anti-Muslim. 

I think a lot of people have issues with Israel as a country and their policies, but don’t have any issues with the Jewish religion. Surely that’s should be allowed. 

He has been daft though. He’s just seen Fanny baker get sacked for less. It was a comment that didn’t need to be made, and he couldn’t really expect anything less. 

Yes, but what the duck do Tottenham have to do with Israel? The vast majority of Tottenham supporters are English. Daniel Levy is English. Galloway is the one conflating Jews with Israel in this instance.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Yes, but what the duck do Tottenham have to do with Israel? The vast majority of Tottenham supporters are English. Daniel Levy is English. Galloway is the one conflating Jews with Israel in this instance.

He is also Jewish. See personal life.  Also the previous 2 chairman of Spurs are Jewish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Levy_(businessman)

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

Yes, but he's English, not Israeli. Why would an English Jew plaster Israeli flags on the European trophy?

Israel is the birth place of the Jews, by saying no flags on the cup is considered racist, as Galloway is identify Israel / Jews not winning the cup is good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Israel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism

Surprised this thread hasn't been locked/deleted.

I think we may have some crossed wires here. I think Galloway is a prat and his tweet was stupid. I don't believe all criticism of Israel as a nation is inherently anti Semitic. Galloway's tweet probably is, because he intentionally conflates non Israeli Jews with Israel and anything to do with Israel is negative according to him.

3 hours ago, Anon said:

I had to find out what he’s done to be sacked first. And what I read was that it was in response to there being Israeli flags being waved by Tottenham fans. 

Not using that to defend him, 2 Derby fans could’ve flown nazi flags at Wembley, doesn’t mean we’d put them on the cup, we’d find the fans and ban them. Or it could’ve been as innocent as a couple of Tottenham fans who genuinely came from Israel to watch the final. Not everything has to be political, you see all sorts of national flags at football matches.

He’s anti-Israel. The evidence is this one tweet doesn’t necessarily brand him as being anti-Semitic (but I haven’t studied all his tweets and comments). 

Where he’s been daft is trying to get his anti-Israel political agenda into his tweet about a football match. 

I’d defend his right to tweet about why he’s anti-Israel, and to tweet about being pleased Liverpool won. But there’s no need to mix the two. 

Actualky, thinking about it, and to contradict myself, he’s mid the two because he’s thinking: ‘Tottenham = Jews = Israel’, that’s a massive stereotype and jump in logic. So, yeah, probably is anti-Semitic actually. I’m probably just arguing for arguing’s sake. 

Still I defend the right to be anti-Israel without being anti-Semitic. But can’t really defend Galloway. 

4 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Still I defend the right to be anti-Israel without being anti-Semitic. But can’t really defend Galloway. 

For sure you can disagree with the Israeli government but I always go on the old Albert Schweitzer mantra that goes something like  Nations are not evil, only people are. 

Galloway has absolutely joined Jews, Spurs and Israel in an oafish negative comment. .. can you imagine if someone started prattling about Pakistani flags and it was Bradford City or Derby County ? 

Just seemed a really stupid thing to tweet given that it’s very much out there at the moment regards Chelsea fans problems regards anti Semitic chants aimed at Tottenham , just made me wonder whether he was comfortable to be sacked as a trade off for making the comment,I don’t believe for one minute that he was/is stupid enough to not know what the consequences would be

I’m finding it fascinating that some of our more lefty members are curiously quiet on this one. Could it be because no one can defend the indefensible but staying away kind of avoids the necessity that those political beliefs usually demand ? 

@Archied.. yep .. think you have a point there. He has a low attention span, bored with the job, needs some notoriety to boost his enormous ego. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

I’m finding it fascinating that some of our more lefty members are curiously quiet on this one. Could it be because no one can defend the indefensible but staying away kind of avoids the necessity that those political beliefs usually demand ? 

@Archied.. yep .. think you have a point there. He has a low attention span, bored with the job, needs some notoriety to boost his enormous ego. 

Commenting on this thread would be just virtue signalling. 

16 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Commenting on this thread would be just virtue signalling. 

Oh what a delightful bit of BS jargon. Straight out some dire ignorant cliche ridden playbook. 

virtue signaling ? .. no ! Have an opinion, back it up by force of argument in rational debate-  or if you don’t fancy it being challenged then run away or use a limp excuse from aforementioned playbook. 

Thing is, 

life isn’t about that political playbook or a diatribe, a socio economic theory, black and white, a didactic. It’s about observation, logic, opinion, experience and yea verily the reality of existing in the same space. 

1 hour ago, jono said:

Oh what a delightful bit of BS jargon. Straight out some dire ignorant cliche ridden playbook. 

virtue signaling ? .. no ! Have an opinion, back it up by force of argument in rational debate-  or if you don’t fancy it being challenged then run away or use a limp excuse from aforementioned playbook. 

Thing is, 

life isn’t about that political playbook or a diatribe, a socio economic theory, black and white, a didactic. It’s about observation, logic, opinion, experience and yea verily the reality of existing in the same space. 

I was joking

Just now, jono said:

But still no comment ? 

Not really. What can one say about Galloway that his own words and actions haven't already said?

In a 'Study in Scarlet', Watson is amazed that Holmes knows next to nothing about the solar system. Holmes retorts that it makes no difference to him whether the earth goes round the sun or goes round the moon.

Galloway is like that to me. He is of no consequence.

For a bit of fun, though, he's a glimpse of the calibre of the man:

Archived