Galloway sacked

Archied

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jono said:

I’m finding it fascinating that some of our more lefty members are curiously quiet on this one. Could it be because no one can defend the indefensible but staying away kind of avoids the necessity that those political beliefs usually demand ? 

@Archied.. yep .. think you have a point there. He has a low attention span, bored with the job, needs some notoriety to boost his enormous ego. 

I want to answer but i still don't know what that means.  The necessity of what?   But i think you answered your own question, nobody wants to defend him because he said was indefensible. Criticizing Israel for their actions is perfectly fine, as is criticizing any country. And there is plenty to criticize in Israel's case in my opinion. But suggesting there is something wrong with having a Jewish background or owners, as it seems he was doing, is just plain wrong.

Not sure I'm a lefty though.  So you may have to wait to get a proper lefty opinion on it. 

15 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I want to answer but i still don't know what that means.  The necessity of what?   But i think you answered your own question, nobody wants to defend him because he said was indefensible. Criticizing Israel for their actions is perfectly fine, as is criticizing any country. And there is plenty to criticize in Israel's case in my opinion. But suggesting there is something wrong with having a Jewish background or owners, as it seems he was doing, is just plain wrong.

Not sure I'm a lefty though.  So you may have to wait to get a proper lefty opinion on it. 

I know that you know that I know what we each mean; and you know the same. 

I could spell it out ( and you know I could ) but let’s just simplify it and say Galloway is an embarrassment to left wing politics because he is so revealing 

17 minutes ago, jono said:

I know that you know that I know what we each mean; and you know the same. 

I could spell it out ( and you know I could ) but let’s just simplify it and say Galloway is an embarrassment to left wing politics because he is so revealing 

To be honest I just think he is an embarrassment to himself at times.  Like with that tweet.   And because he is on the left I guess the left could be embarrassed by association.  But I don't think that's necessary. 

Left wing principles shouldn't be damaged because some on the left may hold some unacceptable views on Jewish people or whatever group.  Just like a free market capitalism shouldn't be denigrated by the views of some it's more extreme right supporters. That would be taking the ad hominem approach to new extremes. 

Archived