The Politics Thread 2019

Day

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SchtivePesley said:

Well of course it will change over time if there is the political will. Not via advisory non-legally binding referendums though

Make your mind up! Your last response to my dumb question was 'absolutely no change'. It appears you are getting as confused here as your hero...

I know why Jo Swinson wants to stay in the EU.

Last year her husband was paid just over £3.3 million pounds by the EU which he would obviously lose this year if we left Europe.

£3.3 Million is a great personal conflict of interests. Under Government rules she had to declare this family interest to Parliament.

Except she didn't, she forgot. What a crook.

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Make your mind up! Your last response to my dumb question was 'absolutely no change'. It appears you are getting as confused here as your hero...

No change the day after the vote.

Change is inevitable over time and to be welcomed, but nothing to do with what we voted for in the referendum

Not difficult to understand is it? If you can concentrate long enough. You can do it!

Just now, SchtivePesley said:

Change is inevitable over time and to be welcomed, but nothing to do with what we voted for in the referendum

Not difficult to understand is it? If you can concentrate long enough. You can do it!

If people had read the Withdrawal Agreement, there was 2 years of  negotiation to take place for any member state leaving the EU. So no change, no change. 

8 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

So your vote was based on what would happen the day after Brexit?

Well not so sure why you are so worried about any sort of Brexit, cant see that one day will hurt us too much.

Given that there will be a transition period as well you really should have no worries about Brexit at all.

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Yeah no legal obligation. Except for that little thing call DEMMOCRATRCY.

No legal obligation but we all know that politicians of all persuasions promised that the result would be acted upon.

If they had no intention of doing this then they should not have voted to invoke Article 50.

At that point it would have been clear who could not be trusted and the swamp could have been drained a long time ago and saved a lot of wasted time and money.

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No legal obligation but we all know that politicians of all persuasions promised that the result would be acted upon.

If they had no intention of doing this then they should not have voted to invoke Article 50.

At that point it would have been clear who could not be trusted and the swamp could have been drained a long time ago and saved a lot of wasted time and money.

750 million pounds per month, for every month of delay. 

That doesn't include the wasted time and money of parliament to implement actual policies this country needs. 

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yeah but dont forget that Labour have said they will campaign against the deal ?

Have they?

I've been trying to find it, as you've quoted that line a number of times. Everything I can see says they will put it to the people to decide. In fact the majority of articles quote Labour as being "neutral" on the subject. 

Here's the Brexit manifesto https://labour.org.uk/page/labour-brexit-plan/ - please feel free to quote where they say they will support remain.

In fact the likes of the Express and the Mail say that a neutral position is a travesty. If they aren't picking up on Labour's promise to campaign against their own deal, haven't they missed a great anti Labour story? Not like them to miss an open goal.

6 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Have they?

I've been trying to find it, as you've quoted that line a number of times. Everything I can see says they will put it to the people to decide. In fact the majority of articles quote Labour as being "neutral" on the subject. 

Here's the Brexit manifesto https://labour.org.uk/page/labour-brexit-plan/ - please feel free to quote where they say they will support remain.

In fact the likes of the Express and the Mail say that a neutral position is a travesty. If they aren't picking up on Labour's promise to campaign against their own deal, haven't they missed a great anti Labour story? Not like them to miss an open goal.

To be fair it wasnt Labour, it was Emily Thornberry on Question Time.

You wont find it on any search engines because it was in September and they have adopted hundreds of different stances since then.

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Have they?

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/9874598/labour-admit-its-brexit-policy-is-to-negotiate-new-deal-then-reject/

44 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think you'll find that it was the government as led by the guy 3 Prime Minister's ago that promised to implement the result

and then immediately resigned. 2 more Prime Ministers since then have also failed to uphold that promise

So it's almost like a Politician's promise means nothing and the law means everything. No one has a legal obligation to keep a promise

1 hour ago, SouthStandDan said:

I know why Jo Swinson wants to stay in the EU.

Last year her husband was paid just over £3.3 million pounds by the EU which he would obviously lose this year if we left Europe.

£3.3 Million is a great personal conflict of interests. Under Government rules she had to declare this family interest to Parliament.

Except she didn't, she forgot. What a crook.

Transparency International, the company that Jo Swinson's husband is employed by was given £3.3 million pound funding by the EU.

The Swinson family were not given money by the EU for their own personal use, so there is no conflict of interest.

If your employer receive funding from the EU, would that make you a beneficiary ? 

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You wont find it on any search engines because it was in September and they have adopted hundreds of different stances since then.

Not really that strange. She's a remain supporter so she's going to prefer to remain over any deal.

Conference decided that Labour will not support remain, so official Labour stance is to negotiate a deal and put it to the public. Individual members may have personal views (broad church that Labour is) but the party position is a neutral one.

2 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I think you'll find that it was the government as led by the guy 3 Prime Minister's ago that promised to implement the result

and then immediately resigned. 2 more Prime Ministers since then have also failed to uphold that promise

So it's almost like a Politician's promise means nothing and the law means everything. No one has a legal obligation to keep a promise

You're just being obtuse.

No problem with that but I'm pretty sure you would not be applying the same principles if it was something that you agreed with as opposed to something that you were vehemently against.

5 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Not really that strange. She's a remain supporter so she's going to prefer to remain over any deal.

Conference decided that Labour will not support remain, so official Labour stance is to negotiate a deal and put it to the public. Individual members may have personal views (broad church that Labour is) but the party position is a neutral one.

You dont find it strange that Labour would let someone negotiate a deal with the EU knowing full well she would campaign against it?

In these strange times that is still the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

On 01/11/2019 at 09:53, G STAR RAM said:

All the way to the bridge? I bet some of the people were dead by time they reached the front of the queue ?

I'm curious, have you actually ever been to Looe ? Do you know where the doctors surgery is located ?  

Or was your visit and overheard conversation a figment of your imagination.

Btw Where did you stay , and on what date, it would be simple task for me to nip around , knock on the door to confirm your visit.

Archived