Moving to Derby - Part 2 - Tradesmen Required

ColonelBlimp

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 20/02/2019 at 19:11, David said:

All jokes aside he is a qualified electrician, recently fiddled with my smoke alarms, installed an outside lighting and socket as well as a socket in the kitchen. Even tidied up after himself. Drop him a PM and I’m sure he will forward you his website/details. ? 

Incontinence still not sorted then?

?

8 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Incontinence still not sorted then?

?

Didn’t use the toilet if I remember correctly which I’m glad about, we had a right crack on show that any tradesman would be proud of, dread to think what that and the other half would be capable of doing to my poor toilet.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know owt about boilers/hot water?

I have an Ideal Logic Combi (nearly 2 years old). Topped up the pressure by opening the filling loop valves this evening as pressure was running very low (about 0.4 bar and has been for a while, just thought I'd do something about it now), it's now between 1 and 2 bar, so in the green zone. However I now have no water coming out of the hot taps. Have tried restarting and turning it off and on at the mains...

Heating works fine, boiler is firing fine, cold water is running...

Am I being stupid and missing something obvious that's causing this problem or has summat bost?

Sith Happens
32 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

I have an Ideal Logic Combi (nearly 2 years old). Topped up the pressure by opening the filling loop valves this evening as pressure was running very low (about 0.4 bar and has been for a while, just thought I'd do something about it now), it's now between 1 and 2 bar, so in the green zone. However I now have no water coming out of the hot taps. Have tried restarting and turning it off and on at the mains...

Am I being stupid and missing something obvious that's causing this problem or has summat bost?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?? ?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

No water at all, or just cold water from the hot taps?

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

If you fiddled with any valves did you turn them back to their original positions afterwards?

I have the same boiler make in my house, which had all kinds of problems and is also only 2 years old. Had my gas shut off temporarily by British Gas (thanks Persimmon) because the boiler was producing dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide.

21 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Sounds like you’ve turned the main cold water supply off going to the boiler by mistake. Which is weird as it shouldn’t be the same type of valve as what’s on the filling loop.

have a gander underneath and trace the pipe work.

You’ll see the filling loop is connected to the main incoming water to the boiler. Look for valve handles at 90deg to the pipework. That normally means it’s isoleted.

your two valves at either end of the loop should be off, everything else needs to be open or “on” 

??

31 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Sounds like you’ve turned the main cold water supply off going to the boiler by mistake. Which is weird as it shouldn’t be the same type of valve as what’s on the filling loop.

You’ll see the filling loop is connected to the main incoming water to the boiler. Look for valve handles at 90deg to the pipework. That normally means it’s isoleted.

your two valves at either end of the loop should be off, everything else needs to be open or “on” 

??

Cheers, will give it a go when I get in.

45 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Cheers, will give it a go when I get in.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

??

Appreciate the help on this, really do.

Current state of play...

When doing what I thought was topping up the pressure yesterday I opened the blue valve on the left and then slowly opened blue valve on right, then shut off left then right as pressure was reached.

Can't now shift left blue valve, beyond a couple of mm, but right blue valve still opens if I want it to and can hear water filling something up.

Black valve on right obsured by the blue valve in the photo is pointing straight up.

Is that correct?

Screenshot_20190327-181451_Gallery.jpg

9 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Appreciate the help on this, really do.

Current state of play...

When doing what I thought was topping up the pressure yesterday I opened the blue valve on the left and then slowly opened blue valve on right, then shut off left then right as pressure was reached.

Can't now shift left blue valve, beyond a couple of mm, but right blue valve still opens if I want it to and can hear water filling something up.

Black valve on right obsured by the blue valve in the photo is pointing straight up.

Is that correct?

Screenshot_20190327-181451_Gallery.jpg

That looks how I'd expect it, although normally the cold water inlet has a different type of fitting to prevent you shutting it of accidentally.

As long as one of your filling loop valves shuts it won't do no harm, you'd see the pressure rising if it wasn't shutting properly.

The next thing to try would be connecting a hot water tap to a cold tap with a length of hosepipe, turning them both on and letting it run for 5 minutes, to displace any trapped air in the hot water pipes, but with mixed taps this isn't the easiest thing to do.

That would clear an airlock, which hot water isn't under enough pressure to displace, but the mains pressure of cold should do the trick, if that's the problem.

59 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

That looks how I'd expect it, although normally the cold water inlet has a different type of fitting to prevent you shutting it of accidentally.

As long as one of your filling loop valves shuts it won't do no harm, you'd see the pressure rising if it wasn't shutting properly.

The next thing to try would be connecting a hot water tap to a cold tap with a length of hosepipe, turning them both on and letting it run for 5 minutes, to displace any trapped air in the hot water pipes, but with mixed taps this isn't the easiest thing to do.

That would clear an airlock, which hot water isn't under enough pressure to displace, but the mains pressure of cold should do the trick, if that's the problem.

Thanks. My Googling yesterday did lead me to think it could be this but don't have a hose or owt to run the cold down the hot water tap. Hoping it is this and not the diverter valve. Going to call someone tomorrow to assist.

1 minute ago, JoetheRam said:

Thanks. My Googling yesterday did lead me to think it could be this but don't have a hose or owt to run the cold down the hot water tap. Hoping it is this and not the diverter valve. Going to call someone tomorrow to assist.

That's why I asked yesterday if there was any water coming from the hot.

If the diverter valve splits you tend to get cold/lukewarm water at least coming from the hot water taps, but seeing as you're getting nothing it probably won't be that.

I speak from experience, having my dad install my first combination boiler, then changing said valve on a bi-annual basis until I got a new boiler.

Diverter valve really isn't that big an issue, a ten quid part then fitting shouldn't be a costly thing, unless you get a cowboy plumber.

Archived