Moving to Derby - Part 2 - Tradesmen Required

ColonelBlimp

OK, just about to complete on a little 2 bed in Mickleover (Fingers crossed no hiccups), perfect for me and the missus and our new lives as strangers in a strange land.

I'm going to need an electrician, to move the fuse box, check to see if a re-wire is needed and put power out into the garden for a shed.

Also, will need a plasterer, possibly for just skimming ceilings but maybe walls as well, will have to check condition.

Are there any electricians/plasterers on this forum or any recommendations?

Ta in advance me hearties!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I'm going to need an electrician, to move the fuse box, check to see if a re-wire is needed and put power out into the garden for a shed.

@Boycie is your man.

Special rates for forum members, 20% extra on the bill if you use the code dcfcfans

Under new regulations a new fire rated metal consumer unit maybe required to replace the fuse box plus it could quite expensive moving it depending on where it's positioned now to the new location.

I had power to garden shed and outdoor sockets installed in the garden of my house last year and it was well worth the expense but I already had the armoured cable. 

Anyhow a fully qualified sparky is required and to give you a quote.  

2 hours ago, cstand said:

Under new regulations a new fire rated metal consumer unit maybe required to replace the fuse box plus it could quite expensive moving it depending on where it's positioned now to the new location.

I had power to garden shed and outdoor sockets installed in the garden of my house last year and it was well worth the expense but I already had the armoured cable. 

Anyhow a fully qualified sparky is required and to give you a quote.  

??He knows, a new Consumer Unit will be needed if the position is being altered because the sparky is in theory working on every circuit. Thus needs to be to the current edition, if a new circuit was just being added to the Consumer Unit in the original position you would be able to keep the original unit, as long as you had RCD protection etc.

Plus you’ll probably need to keep an isolating device with a 60/80amp fuse in it at the original position or within 3 meters of the electric meter. This all depends on how far you’re thinking of moving the CU though.

Not a straight forward or cheap job at the best of times.  

If you want any more advice drop me a pm, I don’t mind giving free advice out to any of our members on here.

No price increases either if you wanted a free quote, ignore @David

I know plasterers and most other trades too if you wanted to keep the stress levels of arranging everyone in the right order down to a minimum.

8 minutes ago, Boycie said:

??He knows, a new Consumer Unit will be needed if the position is being altered because the sparky is in theory working on every circuit. Thus needs to be to the current edition, if a new circuit was just being added to the Consumer Unit in the original position you would be able to keep the original unit, as long as you had RCD protection etc.

Plus you’ll probably need to keep an isolating device with a 60/80amp fuse in it at the original position or within 3 meters of the electric meter. This all depends on how far you’re thinking of moving the CU though.

If you want any more advice drop me a pm, I don’t mind giving free advice out to any of our members on here.

I know plasterers and most other trades too if you wanted to keep the stress levels of arranging everyone in the right order down to a minimum.

I don't care what everyone else says, deep down you're a good lad.

Seems like @Boycie is the man then!

Going to have to get you and your plastering friend round for quotes.

As ever, the missus is in charge so I'll PM you nearer the time she wants it done, from 20th March onwards I think.

How are the lead times? Weeks?

Thanks everyone for replying. 

Look out for part 3, the search for a job!

1 minute ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Seems like @Boycie is the man then!

Going to have to get you and your plastering friend round for quotes.

As ever, the missus is in charge so I'll PM you nearer the time she wants it done, from 20th March onwards I think.

How are the lead times? Weeks?

Thanks everyone for replying. 

Look out for part 3, the search for a job!

All jokes aside he is a qualified electrician, recently fiddled with my smoke alarms, installed an outside lighting and socket as well as a socket in the kitchen. Even tidied up after himself. Drop him a PM and I’m sure he will forward you his website/details. ? 

5 hours ago, Boycie said:

Sound advice Boycie

Archived