Is today Derby County’s Birthday?

Waffle

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always been told 13th May 1884.

Originally we were called "Derbyshire County Football Club" and that was announced in the papers on 7th May 1884 (the papers can be seen at the Record Office and Local Studies Library). The name got changed 6 days later though to avoid confusion with another football club called "Derbyshire County Football Association".  The new and current name of course being "Derby County Football Club".

The final name was chosen and 'christened' at the Bell Hotel on Sadler Gate which is why we should all aim to have at least one obligatory pint in there on a night out.

46 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

As per Peter Second excellent book about “the men who made the rams !”

23263FBB-A670-4B52-A9C8-E2BE75D764D0.jpeg

@loweman2 @Angry Ram @Waffle 

My learned friend @loweman2 beat me to it...Peter Seddon’s book is the source and Peter deserves huge credit for it was he who uncovered the lost history of the period 1884-1888. So, as Peter wrote the Rams have characteristic Taurean traits being born in May. 

I find the history of the Rams wonderfully compelling given that it is full of ironies...William Morley was a man from Sneinton in Nottingham, we were formed to help Derbyshire CCC pay for a new stand after a very poor run of results left them in debt; we were an upstart in terms of other clubs in Derby who had more “right” to be founder members but our “rich turf” at the Racecourse Ground and lavish dinners that we threw for the football opponents at the Bell Hotel in Sadlergate after each game meant we acquired powerful friends who welcomed our inclusion in the nascent Football League In 1888. 

Wonderful rich history thanks to Peter Seddon. 

Archived