NFL 2019 Season

Day

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David said:

Tomlin gets some stick but with the injuries we've had, to be sill in contention for a wildcard place after 1 defeat in the last 7 is tip of the hat worthy. 

In some part thanks to the weakness of the AFC; but I do agree. He's done a really good job this year, also great work by your GM to get Minkah Fitzpatrick in. Home run, that one.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

In great part thanks to the weakness of the AFC; but I do agree. He's done a really good job this year, also great work by your GM to get Minkah Fitzpatrick in. Home run, that one.

Yeah, I mean we have had a relatively easy run of games, we haven't been dismantling them either, just grinding them out in unspectacular fashion. Quite a few criticised Colbert for giving up a first for Minkah, but you run the risk of picking up a dud in he draft where he had proven himself and taken his game to a different level. It's our defence which is largely to thanks for still being in contention, it's not good enough to carry us through any real play off challenge though, but just being there will be an achievement.

6 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, I mean we have had a relatively easy run of games, we haven't been dismantling them either, just grinding them out in unspectacular fashion. Quite a few criticised Colbert for giving up a first for Minkah, but you run the risk of picking up a dud in he draft where he had proven himself and taken his game to a different level. It's our defence which is largely to thanks for still being in contention, it's not good enough to carry us through any real play off challenge though, but just being there will be an achievement.

Don't completely count out a good defense. If they can find an extra gear, they can beat anyone. Doesn't matter how good a QB is, for example, they won't be able to play if an opposing pass rusher has a monster game - see Von Miller v Panthers (MVP Cam Newton that year) in the SB.

The premier example of this that comes to mind is the 2011 Giants. They were 9-7 (!!), got a wildcard spot, won out through the playoffs and won the Superbowl ? 

There's always room to dream!

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Don't completely count out a good defense. If they can find an extra gear, they can beat anyone. Doesn't matter how good a QB is, for example, they won't be able to play if an opposing pass rusher has a monster game - see Von Miller v Panthers (MVP Cam Newton that year) in the SB.

The premier example of this that comes to mind is the 2011 Giants. They were 9-7 (!!), got a wildcard spot, won out through the playoffs and won the Superbowl ? 

There's always room to dream!

They won the division with 9 -7 that year they weren't a wild card.

Having said that, they were a wild card in 2007 when they won it, but they went 10-6.

The Steelers won as a wild card in 2005. They won it the day we moved to the US. We had no TV so I went to a bar to watch it hoping they'd beat the Seahawks. A most enjoyable first day.

I'd be interested to know which team won it with the worst regular season record. I'd guess 9-7, but plenty of teams have made the playoffs with 8-8 records and I *think* the Seahawks even made the playoffs one year with a 7-9 record.

HUGE game for you guys coming up that will probably decide HFA.

My guilt from last year definitely has me wanting to see the Saints win it all this year presuming the Vikings and/or Seahawks collapse and let us in.

4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

They won the division with 9 -7 that year they weren't a wild card.

Having said that, they were a wild card in 2007 when they won it, but they went 10-6.

The Steelers won as a wild card in 2005. They won it the day we moved to the US. We had no TV so I went to a bar to watch it hoping they'd beat the Seahawks. A most enjoyable first day.

I'd be interested to know which team won it with the worst regular season record. I'd guess 9-7, but plenty of teams have made the playoffs with 8-8 records and I *think* the Seahawks even made the playoffs one year with a 7-9 record.

HUGE game for you guys coming up that will probably decide HFA.

My guilt from last year definitely has me wanting to see the Saints win it all this year presuming the Vikings and/or Seahawks collapse and let us in.

I assume that last line is supposed to say don't collapse? Appreciate the support though! ? 

You're right this weeks game against 49ers is a biggie. If we win my confidence will be through the roof; if not it will depend on the manner in which we lose. Our last 4 games have all been iffy to say the least but they've all been divisional, and that kinda thing happens. We could also, wrongly, have had an eye on the 49ers game the whole time.

I'll try to find out which SB winner had the worst record; thanks for the correction on the 2011. Point still stands though, they were a very average side throughout the regular season.

2 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Nick Foles return didn’t last long...

CD3B9E55-1FC6-4838-959A-0F327C226664.jpeg

Minshews a far better fit for the Jags at the moment. When your offensive line is as bad as that, a quarterback with good pocket presence and mobility is invaluable. 

Foles might be a better player overall, but he needs an O-Line. He might see himself get traded to be honest.

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Minshews a far better fit for the Jags at the moment. When your offensive line is as bad as that, a quarterback with good pocket presence and mobility is invaluable. 

Foles might be a better player overall, but he needs an O-Line. He might see himself get traded to be honest.

Job was looking like Minshews, then one bad game and he was dropped, which I thought was a bit harsh, but then when the QB you’re paying the big money too is fit again, guess there’s a thought you should play him ?‍♂️

25 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Job was looking like Minshews, then one bad game and he was dropped, which I thought was a bit harsh, but then when the QB you’re paying the big money too is fit again, guess there’s a thought you should play him ?‍♂️

When your bad game coincides with the return of the player you're in for, I think it was always going to happen.

Remember as well; not only did they pay him big but he got injured in the first quarter of his first game - so its not like he'd shown signs of not being what they wanted.

But after so many of Minshews games went well; no way Foles was gonna last with how trash he's been.

the Ravens have had a ridiculous schedule this year... we’ve played the Seahawks, Texans, Patriots, 49ers and Chiefs. As well as the disappointing Rams. All while having to contend with the Steelers and Browns in division. That has to be the hardest schedule in the league. We have the Bills next week too!

All the talk this season was, Kirk Cousins stepping up with the offence. He’s been really good. Even missing his most reliable target for 5 games...so it’s really annoying our defence has taken about 3 steps back. 

For the amount of talent we have on that defence, it’s really underperforming. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

the Ravens have had a ridiculous schedule this year... we’ve played the Seahawks, Texans, Patriots, 49ers and Chiefs. As well as the disappointing Rams. All while having to contend with the Steelers and Browns in division. That has to be the hardest schedule in the league. We have the Bills next week too!

Probably up there.

The Saints have a similar schedule, except swap out the Chiefs and Pats for the Rams and the Cowboys, so obviously based on performance easier (Cowboys especially have been disappointing). Also a weaker division, overall. Although our schedule looked hard as nails before the season started. 

When the seasons over I think the 49ers will have had the toughest schedule, be interesting where they line up. Obviously being in division with the Seahawks and Rams helps - but they will have played the Ravens, Packers and Saints too.

56 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

All the talk this season was, Kirk Cousins stepping up with the offence. He’s been really good. Even missing his most reliable target for 5 games...so it’s really annoying our defence has taken about 3 steps back. 

For the amount of talent we have on that defence, it’s really underperforming. 

Your defense is on the field too much, because your offense is mostly boom or bust plays. So even when successful, your time of possession is short - you didn't have a single drive that lasted 4 minutes or more. That means your DEF gets tired and starts to give up more big plays as the game goes on. 

In the first half your DEF had a net loss of 3 points, that's pretty good. And even despite losing some ground in the 2nd half they forced a fumble at 24-34 so you could get it within 4, and then forced a punt in 5 plays on the next drive, so it was in Cousin's hands to win the game. 

In good news, the Seahawks win puts the Saints in 1st in the NFC ahead of the 49ers game ? 

Man I'm going to be nervous as duck during that game.

Archived