Looking for a 1979 shirt

Mrs Jackson

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness, Mrs Jackson, whilst I can't help with the provision of the shirt, I do like what your trying to do.  Now I'm no expert on this subject... but there are a couple on here... but I think we were in the white and blue back then, and I'm pretty certain the second kit was the orange shirt with black trim... my very first replica shirt, and still my all time favourite!

Again, my knowledge lets me down here, but I'm not sure if 78/79 shirts differed from 79/80, but if they do, it may matter, depending on whether he was born before May '79, or after August '79.  If he was born between May and August, you can cheat, and pick either!  LOL!

Hopefully someone will be along with pics or something, to at least show you which shirts are relative (unless you are already aware, of course).

I wish you well in your search... many wives could take a leaf out of your book!  Consider yourself "liked"!   

2 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

In all seriousness, Mrs Jackson, whilst I can't help with the provision of the shirt, I do like what your trying to do.  Now I'm no expert on this subject... but there are a couple on here... but I think we were in the white and blue back then, and I'm pretty certain the second kit was the orange shirt with black trim... my very first replica shirt, and still my all time favourite!

Again, my knowledge lets me down here, but I'm not sure if 78/79 shirts differed from 79/80, but if they do, it may matter, depending on whether he was born before May '79, or after August '79.  If he was born between May and August, you can cheat, and pick either!  LOL!

Hopefully someone will be along with pics or something, to at least show you which shirts are relative (unless you are already aware, of course).

I wish you well in your search... many wives could take a leaf out of your book!  Consider yourself "liked"!   

Kitbag sell a replica 1978 shirt, it’s the last Umbro shirt before switching to Le Coq Sportif for 1979.

https://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag/en/product/derby-county-1978-umbro-shirt/217653

E8D8F607-741C-4F61-BE9D-9BEBF1EB1C6D.jpeg

43 minutes ago, David said:

Kitbag sell a replica 1978 shirt, it’s the last Umbro shirt before switching to Le Coq Sportif for 1979.

https://www.kitbag.com/stores/kitbag/en/product/derby-county-1978-umbro-shirt/217653

Excellent!

Yes, I recall my orange one being Le Coq Sportif, now you mention it, so assume the above pic is 78/79?  (Or was it 77/78?)  A bit daft relating a footy shirt to a single calendar year!  (That's a dig at Kitbag, not you, David!).

Perhaps the next step for Mrs Jackson is to confirm the month of birth for hubby... I'd hate her to get the wrong one, if there was indeed a change between the two seasons.

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

Excellent!

Yes, I recall my orange one being Le Coq Sportif, now you mention it, so assume the above pic is 78/79?  (Or was it 77/78?)  A bit daft relating a footy shirt to a single calendar year!  (That's a dig at Kitbag, not you, David!).

Perhaps the next step for Mrs Jackson is to confirm the month of birth for hubby... I'd hate her to get the wrong one, if there was indeed a change between the two seasons.

Shirt above is 96/98, Historical kits website is a great database of kits

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Derby_County/Derby_County.htm

48 minutes ago, David said:

Thanks for link David. I saw the ‘72 cotton shirt, all excited, tried to order but not available in my size! It was lovely while it lasted ?

23 hours ago, Mrs Jackson said:

Hi,

I'm looking for a 1979 derby shirt for my husbands 40th. Does anyone have one for sale or know where i can get one?

Thanks in advance!! ?

A 1979 shirt is rare, finding an adult one is even harder. It will be expensive. They do retro ones which could be an easier and cheaper option.

37 minutes ago, C-stand said:

A 1979 shirt is rare, finding an adult one is even harder. It will be expensive. They do retro ones which could be an easier and cheaper option.

Great shirt that.

The away kit in blue/black stripes needs bringing out too.

Lots of snidey 79 shirts on the net but dubious quality. 

2 hours ago, Mrs Jackson said:

Thanks everyone. So hubby's birthday is April

I believe the kit I need is the Le Coq Sportif

Am I right in thinking that?

That would seem to be the case, and if so you are looking for a shirt like the one below.  Good luck.

D489532D-9584-4604-9E5B-BA51C784B0C6.jpeg

Archived