Do we create enough Chances?

Rev

To ask a simple question, is the way we've set up creating enough chances for us to win games?

To me, it seems we're relying on individual moments of brilliance to score goals and win games, it's not like we've been blazing brilliant chances over the bar when clean through on a regular basis.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Our wingers have a tendency to cut in and shoot rather than play the ball in the centre for Marriott, so we rarely create good goal scoring opportunities. We're really good at free kicks and we produce a lot of moments of magic, but overall we need to create more chances.

I posted in one of the transfer threads that we are still missing a “creative” advanced midfielder in my opinion who can also control a game. Wilson, Mount, Bryson and Holmes like to get on the end of things and are midfield runners but don’t really create as much as they should.

If Butterfield was in form and in the first team picture, he’d be that player. Maybe Barry Bannan? Can dictate from deep to take the pressure off Huddlestone and allow Mount, Wilson and co to play closer to goal.

Well it certainly doesn't help when we start both Johnson and Bryson. We can probably carry one of them but not both. 

Wasn't too long ago we ripped Birmingham City a new one, that could have been a lot more than 3. We also had a few good opportunities vs Villa in the first half. Since then it's been poor. Wasn't really sure what we were trying to achieve tonight. Wilson, Mount and Lawrence too far up the field. The times Mount and Wilson did drop off and try to play through them we looked better, even if nothing came off. 

The thing I've loved this year so far is how brave and ballsy Lamps has been with his team selections. Tonight was very safe. Not sure that's the way forward for this squad. We need to cater for our defensive frailties with our attacking play because it's our best asset. Are Bogle and Malone going to shore up at the back? Probably not.  

Unless it's whipped to the near post our crossing seems to be really ineffective but that's not surprising when our striker is 5 foot tall and up against 6 and a half foot centre halves. I've just watched Tammy Abraham smash 4 in against the dogs tonight, never knew he was so good in the air. He would be perfect but then again he would for all clubs at this level. 

Keep at it, stick to our guns and try and get some consistency out of the young lads. 

Yes we do! Lots of chances. West Brom Boro Brum we had minimum 18 shots in each game!!

have we created many chances last couple of games? No, but that’s because we’re not playing anywhere near as well, injuries and players still trying to get back match sharpness especially in midfield has meant we’ve lost our pattern of play a bit. We’ll get it back but right now look like we did early season 

41 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

To ask a simple question, is the way we've set up creating enough chances for us to win games?

To me, it seems we're relying on individual moments of brilliance to score goals and win games, it's not like we've been blazing brilliant chances over the bar when clean through on a regular basis.

Yes; we’re over-reliant on individuality; cf:,@Carl Sagan‘s thread the other day. We seem to have lost “team-ness” and need to rediscover that imho. 

Not enough for me, too many wasted crosses etc, lack of quality in the final third in general. But we do create some. We score goals. We just concede pretty much every attack, that’s where the problems lie. We tear stoke a new one imo tonight if it isn’t for poor defending and goalkeeping letting them in. Defending is fundamental to any team ever having success. Don’t have to be Paolo Maldini but you’ve gotta get the basics right. We don’t. And we come out too blasé at the start of every match and it costs us. 

We concede the first goal nigh on every match. That makes it extremely difficult to create chances. That’s the key point here. Score first like we did against West Brom and it opens up to create more chances. Or you’re forced to create something out of nothing like we are being every game cause we’re incapable of starting the game with the right attitude and basic defensive ability. Can’t keep expecting moments of magic to dig you out a hole. Cannot emphasise that point enough, you don’t succeed giving the opposition a head start every match.

Pissed off and on a lot of rum but that’s my thoughts. Gotta catch up on my uni work now, sacrificed to watch an all too predictable outcome. Can’t even defend against ten men ffs. As a wise man once said, attacks win games, defences win titles. And imo midfield control makes history. We lack in the latter two areas particulary. That needs fixing.

Were not fundamentally poo by any stretch, the philosophy is there but we will achieve nothing unless we start games stronger. Rant over, probably makes no sense but hey that’s my drunken thoughts 

Archived