Bouncebackability

Carl Sagan

One thing that's mentioned in the OP... and on numerous posts throughout the forums... is the lack of clean sheets, and in some cases how that may cost us.

Personally, I don't think it's as important as some think.   "stopping them scoring" only guarantees a point.  "Score more than them" guarantees 3 points each time... and sounds much more fun!

I'd Love it... really love it... if we did a "Keegan's Newcastle", won 4-3 virtually every week, and ended up having to accept second place!

Go for it, Frank!  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

I hope you are not meaning the Rams when you put the above sentence in. M'boro miserly 9 goals is stand out in the division so far this season but they have only scored 21 and have drawn 7 matches. We have leaked just 21 goals which is joint 5th best for goals conceded. 7 of them goals came in 2 matches against, at the time form teams in Leeds and Villa (thats a third of our goals conceded in two games). Got to agree with you though, love to see Keogh, Davies and Tomori all play.

It's not the overall number of goals, but we make it hard for ourselves because we always condede. I've heard it said that a clean sheet is statistically worth 2.5 points. We need to start getting shutouts. Having to always score at least two to win a game is really hard work.

EDIT: Ha! Written even before I saw @Mucker1884's post immediately above.

31 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I would do that too. I do rate Bogle; he’s a tremendous player so good in fact that we forget he’s just 18 and although Cloughie always chimed “if you’re good enough you’re old enough” I do think teams will strategically target our right-back position. I would move Tomori there and bring Davies in. Other than that I quite like FL’s “organic” team selection; I like how he swaps it. I can’t help thinking though that Marriott will soon become a target for some heavy treatment {probably starting at Stoke} and Wilson and Mount too. I’ve heard that Frank may go back to Chelsea for the young winger; I do hope so. I really like his reliance on youth...fast, energetic, confident ball-players who have raw energy. 

He might go back to Coventry for their young winger - young, fast, energetic and confident I hear.  Could do with some more goals but he's only young.  

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

It's not the overall number of goals, but we make it hard for ourselves because we always condede. I've heard it said that a clean sheet is statistically worth 2.5 points. We need to start getting shutouts. Having to always score at least two to win a game is really hard work.

EDIT: Ha! Written even before I saw @Mucker1884's post immediately above.

Still not convinced!

Yes, "having to score twice" is harder than having to score once, but re-word it to "having to score one more than them", and it doesn't sound so bad!  Ha ha!

And that guarantees the 3 points every time.

...And I don't care what statistics show with regards to clean sheet.  Reality shows it only guarantees 1 point.

And let's face it, last time we went up, we were served a regular weekly dose of clean sheets... and we all know what happened the following season!

For once, I say forget the clamour for clean sheets... let's go for summat far more exciting, whilst we've got the opportunity!

COYR.

5 hours ago, Parsnip said:

It is and this Derby team look to be oozing spirit!

I think at Boro Pulis has instilled a mentality rather than a spirit and i expect that will see them up this season. But of all the teams chasing the other automatic spot - it may well be the one with the most spirit who manage to break away.

It's us innit?!

Can't discount Norwich their mentality at the moment seems to be lets score as many as we feel like, I agree though we look like we have great team spirit and with Marriott, Mount and Wilson we have got 3 of the best attacking players in the league in the same squad. With Marriott being the best striker in the league from what I have seen from him so far, if he can keep his current form up and gets lucky with injuries he will end up on 25 + like he did in League 1.

On 25/11/2018 at 17:25, Carl Sagan said:

By my count, Saturday takes us to a very impressive 13 points gained from losing positions so far this season, with wins against Reading, Brentford, Birmingham and Wednesday, and the draw against Norwich. Have I missed any? Plus we came back from behind at Old Trafford and twice at Stamford Bridge. We surely have the famed quality of bouncebackability!

I'd expect that to put us at the top of a league table for "resilience", but these things are no longer commonplace online and the only one I can find on https://www.transfermarkt.com/championship/punktenachrueckstand/wettbewerb/GB  has the wrong figures for us and may well for other teams too. Does anyone have an accurate table for this?

Ultimately we don't want to fall behind in games and the secret to promotion is likely to be keeping more clean sheets, but gaining 13 points from the 10 games when we've given the opposition a head start is pretty good going and makes me think we have huge belief and confidence in the squad.

Team spirit is vital in any promotion-chasing team and the management and players have done an excellent job of ensuring heads don't drop and we don't know when we are beaten. A long way to go but it makes me believe this might be our year.

Good points. Definitely an indication of improved mindset in the playing staff. 

Archived