Steel City Derby

Coneheadjohn

5 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Anyone know the historical background to the rivalry?

Wednesday are the original Sheffield club, being over 20 years older. They originally played at Bramall Lane, and were nicknamed the Blades. United are usurpers, also rans, and classless wearers of bacon. 

I always want Wednesday to win this one in convincing style, but sadly I think they're going to get battered. Could be Luhukay's last game. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot how much the Sheffield Derby is 90 mins of average players trying speculative efforts rather than playing football and making proper chances.

Similar to @Andicis in that I know one too many smug United fans and my Wednesday mates usually talk sensible football so if I have any allegiance it’s there

So who’s coming down to smash up The Cremorne with me later?

27 minutes ago, mozza said:

Is it me or my tv,  the red stripes on Blades shirts don't stand out as being red on the long range camera view bit poor considering it's hd. Or do I need optician or new telly?

Errr,it’s the red stripes mate.  

Get a new telly though to be safe ..,and some glasses.

Funny how Sky have tried to make out that United have dominated this game and played well but haven’t they only really created the penalty they should have scored? In fairness to Wednesday, although some of the defending has been a bit desperate, they’ve kept them out pretty well. 

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Funny how Sky have tried to make out that United have dominated this game and played well but haven’t they only really created the penalty they should have scored?

A bit like they "dominated" the 1st half against us despite only creating the one chance which resulted in the goal.

5 minutes ago, Carnero said:

A bit like they "dominated" the 1st half against us despite only creating the one chance which resulted in the goal.

Pretty much, I really dont see the hype around them. A very average Sheff Wed team have been able to cope with them. Local Derby or not it’s a game they should be creating chances and winning.

...and there’s ANOTHER terrible speculative effort ?

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Pretty much, I really dont see the hype around them. A very average Sheff Wed team have been able to cope with them. Local Derby or not it’s a game they should be creating chances and winning.

...and there’s ANOTHER terrible speculative effort ?

yeah, but @angieram posted a Sheff U bloggers statistical analysis which said SheffU should've scored three from the chances they didn't create but might have done, so really the blades on the game on merit. It was quite amusing.

<i'm digging the blogger not Angieram for sharing it>

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

yeah, but @angieram posted a Sheff U bloggers statistical analysis which said SheffU should've scored three from the chances they didn't create but might have done, so really the blades on the game on merit. It was quite amusing.

<i'm digging the blogger not Angieram for sharing it>

Christ they are the worst in making out they are the plucky underdog where everyone is against them. “Yeah but we were robbed right. We hit the post three times, should have had a penalty and their right back should have been sent off”. Oh shut up it’s football. Them, Leeds and Forest are all the same. A faux working class identity yet think they are owed something rather than having to earn it.

And yes I’ve been drinking!

36 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I prefer Wednesday because I don't like teams called United when there's more than one team in the city. It doesn't make any sense.

Come on....doesn't make sense? And wednesday does??

thats like being called Newcastle February or Colchester mid morning or F.C. Bank Holiday of Manchester

It’s the full backs that make Sheffield United look good those 2 bombing down gives them so many options going forward it’s hard to defend against, Wednesday defended well but over the last 2/3 years the money they’ve spent you’d be pretty annoyed having to go defend like that against your local rivals. 

Archived