False 5? First time I've heard of this!

irobinson

This a poor mans Total football?

Risk  / Reward strategy - which Mr Prutton told us about yesterday.

like to hear the views.....

on a sideline. - I thought the Blades were a good team - and well drilled - but not sure what happened to then in the 2nd half.

Good game though

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really think they were overrated in the first half. We were 1-0 up. Why go pressing too much against a team that good on the ball when 1 up and having openings on the counter. I understand if we weren't catching them on the break but we were! 

They played through the pitch beautifully but besides their goal being the best chance of the half I thought the best chances fell to us (Waghorn header and Bryson goal) 

We constantly crowded them out as soon as their was true danger. Their goal was the complete opposite of the other 44 minutes and 59 seconds. 

It was a tight first half and 1-1 was about right because we didn't deserve to be ahead based on THAT piece of defending. Before that I thought we were just as likely to catch them out. 

They break shape constantly and within a dozen meters of the ball they outnumber you. They make triangles all the way through the pitch and are willing to drag players from anywhere to do it. 

I felt that when we truly knuckled down to passing the ball that they couldn't keep the pace. Our team is super fit and fast now. Chasing us when we are switched on is dangerous with our pace. 

Our tempo won that. Helped actually by the slowest footballer in the world. Huddlestone is as mobile as my Nan but if you try and press him he knows 10 ways out and 1 of them is a through ball of almost Beckham standards. He was awesome in possession and probably turned the clock back 10 years in his movement. That makes him as mobile as Sam Allardyce 

Agree for the most part @Alpha, I commented at the tine that they were all over us first half, but I see your point of staying contained and letting them huff and puff as we were 1-0 up. 

All I will say is though, is they found themselves time and time again in crossing situations down the sides of our area, and we just couldn’t stop this from happening. If they had better delivery we’d have been punished. We afforded them far too much space as we tried to stay contained and stop late runners.  Their “false 5” style was really effective and entertaining to see.

The good news is, getting the ball out wide and crossing it seems to be the only thing they can do. Second half we figured them out and reduced them to only a couple of similar opportunities, while keeping our own style and dominating until the end. Think Keogh and Tomori and Huddz’ positioning and responsiveness were integral to how we nullified them. Our CBs were often out wide anticipating or helping his full back deal with being overloaded, while Huddz tucked in and filled the gap left behind. Was a great tactical game to witness. 

3 hours ago, irobinson said:

on a sideline. - I thought the Blades were a good team - and well drilled - but not sure what happened to then in the 2nd half.

Good game though

I heard that too, genuinely what the heck is a false number 5????

It was a close game, no doubt. They're a good side and they were always going to have sniff. I don't think any Championship side would expect a complete shut out against the top 6. Kept them to a minimum.

@cosmic , I'm not sure what else we could have done to stop those overlaps. We could have tucked the wingers back but would have limited our counters?

I think Lampard was brave and kind of had the mentality to score more than them. I guess he had faith that if we kept up the tempo but stopped trying to make every pass a killer pass that eventually we'd get control. They really couldn't keep up in the second half. Every player just getting that extra second.

Good team though. Two good teams and a match that must have been good for the neutrals.

4 hours ago, irobinson said:

Good game though

They are a good side and with 5 in midfield they generally overrun midfield but over the game we tired them out and despite all thier willingness to believe they should won the game in the first half they hardly tried to score unlike us and if we start taking all our chances someone is in for a pasting 

41 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

They are a good side and with 5 in midfield they generally overrun midfield but over the game we tired them out and despite all thier willingness to believe they should won the game in the first half they hardly tried to score unlike us and if we start taking all our chances someone is in for a pasting 

Hopefully the Gumps !!

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

I really think they were overrated in the first half. We were 1-0 up. Why go pressing too much against a team that good on the ball when 1 up and having openings on the counter. I understand if we weren't catching them on the break but we were! 

They played through the pitch beautifully but besides their goal being the best chance of the half I thought the best chances fell to us (Waghorn header and Bryson goal) 

We constantly crowded them out as soon as their was true danger. Their goal was the complete opposite of the other 44 minutes and 59 seconds. 

It was a tight first half and 1-1 was about right because we didn't deserve to be ahead based on THAT piece of defending. Before that I thought we were just as likely to catch them out. 

They break shape constantly and within a dozen meters of the ball they outnumber you. They make triangles all the way through the pitch and are willing to drag players from anywhere to do it. 

I felt that when we truly knuckled down to passing the ball that they couldn't keep the pace. Our team is super fit and fast now. Chasing us when we are switched on is dangerous with our pace. 

Our tempo won that. Helped actually by the slowest footballer in the world. Huddlestone is as mobile as my Nan but if you try and press him he knows 10 ways out and 1 of them is a through ball of almost Beckham standards. He was awesome in possession and probably turned the clock back 10 years in his movement. That makes him as mobile as Sam Allardyce 

Interesting Lampard said in his interview that Huddlestone was a big reason for the turnaround second half and credited him as playing the key role in our victory. Have to agree, he absolutely bossed it second half.

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Interesting Lampard said in his interview that Huddlestone was a big reason for the turnaround second half and credited him as playing the key role in our victory. Have to agree, he absolutely bossed it second half.

His passing is above this level. People don't even have to break stride to take them under control. 

Archived