Football Forums

DarkFruitsRam7

I saw @David shared this article on Twitter and thought it deserved its own thread. I think it does a good job in portraying the diverse range of topics that can be introduced on a football forum, often far from the football club itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/when-saturday-comes-blog/2018/jul/27/football-fans-internet-club-forums-twitter-youtube-facebook?CM

For example, we currently have a thread on Frank Lampard, alongside a thread on dunking biscuits, alongside a thread on @coneheadjohn‘s lads fight with illness.

With the somewhat tense mood on this forum at the moment, I think the article can remind us that this site can still be a bloody brilliant place to discuss Derby,  sport and life, even with the restrictions currently in place.

This place can feel like, as the article says, a haven for many. Just look at @Moist One‘s thread on mental health issues which has helped so many. Even discussing Derby’s next game with some familiar users can act as an escape for those who are suffering from life’s problems. Sometimes I think we forget that.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was sent the link this morning with a quick thank you, thought it was a nice little reminder of what forums can be. 

"Club forums are a haven for football fans in an ever angrier online world"

The reason I then shared it on Twitter was it's World Suicide Prevention Day. You really don't know what is going in peoples lives behind the username, having spoken with many members over the years who have told me stories of how this forum has helped them and their families, it's a great day to remind people that these places do exist in what is an angry online world out there.

Whilst topics on dunking custard creams might not be mentally stimulating for one, it could be a topic that puts a smile on another persons face who really needed that today. 

I might be biased but I think forums are great.

4 minutes ago, Bigfella said:

Can we have a thread on pedantry so I can say it should be fora not forums 

I like pedantry. I love the old Charlton Heston films like El Cid, or the Ivanhoe films. Modern films are better though, for me, because they are more realistic in the battle scenes.

17 minutes ago, Bigfella said:

Can we have a thread on pedantry so I can say it should be fora not forums 

If we did, I'd be compelled to point out that 'forums' is in fact correct in this context.   As is fora.   If you were talking about a public square then maybe fora is the only correct form.  I don't know really. 

8 minutes ago, Highgate said:

If we did, I'd be compelled to point out that 'forums' is in fact correct in this context.   As is fora.   If you were talking about a public square then maybe fora is the only correct form.  I don't know really. 

That’s a didactic point

5 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

I wasn't replying to any post in particular. So not sure how a joke has gone over my head.

In fact i am deeply offended and now hate you, whoever you are.

I’m fine with you hating me, it doesn’t bother me. I’ve been hated by intelligent people.

Archived