England Squad for September games

Andicis

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel a bit disappointed with that squad after actually starting to feel good about England over the summer. Perfect time to get a few youths in the squad ready for the next tournament. What have the likes of lallana done to be called up? That said I’m glad to see Luke shaw return, it’s a shame how his career at United went but I still really rate him. Get him going again and he’s our best left back.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Feel a bit disappointed with that squad after actually starting to feel good about England over the summer. Perfect time to get a few youths in the squad ready for the next tournament. What have the likes of lallana done to be called up? That said I’m glad to see Luke shaw return, it’s a shame how his career at United went but I still really rate him. Get him going again and he’s our best left back.

Lallana, Welbeck, Rashford, those 3 haven't deserved a call up at all. Why do England keep picking mediocre players for the squad?

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Lallana, Welbeck, Rashford, those 3 haven't deserved a call up at all. Why do England keep picking mediocre players for the squad?

with Vardy retired effectively after Kane the striking options are almost non existent so Rashford was always going to be in

1 minute ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

with Vardy retired effectively after Kane the striking options are almost non existent so Rashford was always going to be in

Rashford has been crap this season, and wasn't good at the World Cup either, surely we could have made do with Sterling up to like the World Cup, to free up space to try integrate some new players?

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Rashford has been crap this season, and wasn't good at the World Cup either, surely we could have made do with Sterling up to like the World Cup, to free up space to try integrate some new players?

did you see how useless Sterling was at the world cup, it's an insult to league 2 strikers to play Sterling as a striker

Just now, Jimmy Skitz said:

did you see how useless Sterling was at the world cup, it's an insult to league 2 strikers to play Sterling as a striker

Daniel Sturridge has had a better start to the season than both Welbeck and Rashford.

Sterling was our best player vs Croatia in the world cup semis.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Daniel Sturridge has had a better start to the season than both Welbeck and Rashford.

Sterling was our best player vs Croatia in the world cup semis.

I would be all for Sturridge being recalled or Callum Wilson but Rashford is in when fit, Welbeck is the more surprising of the 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy Skitz said:

I would be all for Sturridge being recalled or Callum Wilson but Rashford is in when fit, Welbeck is the more surprising of the 2

Why should Rashford be in when fit? He's a show pony, he scored 6 Premier League goals last season, is that England standard? I honestly think the best way to ensure being in the team is a squad player in a top side, rather than a vital player in a smaller one. Lallana hasn't even started in about 6 months...

Sterling’s like an elite version of Weimann. Technically for that level he is woeful. But he has great movement, and regularly finds himself in positions to score goals.

He’s not a player you want dropping deep and instigating an attack. That’s not his game at all.

I think LB was a major problem area. Young offered nothing going forward. Rose hadn’t played much. Shaw has the talent, he needs a regular run of games.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why should Rashford be in when fit? He's a show pony, he scored 6 Premier League goals last season, is that England standard? I honestly think the best way to ensure being in the team is a squad player in a top side, rather than a vital player in a smaller one. Lallana hasn't even started in about 6 months...

I didn't say its right I'm just saying what the situation is. Lallana hasn't started because he was injured he was a key player for England and Liverpool before that

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sterling’s like an elite version of Weimann. Technically for that level he is woeful. But he has great movement, and regularly finds himself in positions to score goals.

He’s not a player you want dropping deep and instigating an attack. That’s not his game at all.

I think LB was a major problem area. Young offered nothing going forward. Rose hadn’t played much. Shaw has the talent, he needs a regular run of games.

Sterling hasn't scored for England in 3 years you don't want him in the positions to score because he wastes them time and time again.

I was hopeful Chilwell would get the call up but with Shaw playing for United and Rose back in the Spurs team that wasn't going to happen.

Southgate was always going to bring Lallana back asap as he seems to rate him. Maybe he can be a better linking midfielder between henderson and either Dele or Lingard. Gomez also would have gone to WC had he not been injured.

The rest are basically the tried and failed.

The single CDM pivot and CF are the key risk areas wit no obvious cover. Dier was rubbish when he played instead of henderson at the WC

There's got to be continuity and a it of loyalty as well though lads.

We've just had our best World Cup for a generation it wouldn't be right or fair to dismantle that.

I think he's done ok, I'd habeike to have seen Will in for Ruben Loftus Cheek who isn't getting a game while Will is starting and influencing games in the premier league on a regular basis. I may be biased towards Will though.

Interesting to hear Gareth's comment about English talent coming through but not getting game time then he picks players who aren't playing ahead of those who are regulars.

Strange contradiction.

5 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

We've just had our best World Cup for a generation it wouldn't be right or fair to dismantle that.

I think he's done ok, I'd habeike to have seen Will in for Ruben Loftus Cheek who isn't getting a game while Will is starting and influencing games in the premier league on a regular basis. I may be biased towards Will though.

Interesting to hear Gareth's comment about English talent coming through but not getting game time then he picks players who aren't playing ahead of those who are regulars.

Strange contradiction.

Don’t think anyone is advocating dismantling that team, however there were obvious flaws in it and they do need addressing.

Others have mentioned good additions not to this squad.. Maddison etal.. I won’t ask anyone to explain Welbeck, real head shake there.

8 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Strange contradiction.

The contradiction I see is that "lack of playing time" can be used as justification for not including a promising youngster, whilst it is conveniently forgotten to justify selection of older players eg Delph who, whilst maybe having been "useful" in the past are neither getting regular playing time now nor being particularly good when put in the team.

I still think GS's only flaw is the length of loyalty he shows to past squad players. to my simple mind, there ought to be 2 routes for selection into the seniors. Either you've come up through the England junior ranks - whatever your club situation - as we have an increasing number of tournament winners in the junior teams......or.........should be current regular players who are "catching the eye" with their current form AND fit the system.

On that set of criteria, I think you could make a case for a few changes to the squad. But its all about opinion and I have to accept that @Angry Ram is right in any event, whatever analysis I propose....?

20 hours ago, Andicis said:

Rashford has been crap this season

"This season" is 3 games old and not even got started yet, a lot of players who were in the World Cup were rested for the first game and found themselves on the bench or not in the squad. 

Rashford has played 70 minutes v Leicester and 45 minutes v Brighton.

I'm personally glad that players haven't forced themselves into the England squad based on the first 3 games of the season.

2 hours ago, David said:

"This season" is 3 games old and not even got started yet, a lot of players who were in the World Cup were rested for the first game and found themselves on the bench or not in the squad. 

Rashford has played 70 minutes v Leicester and 45 minutes v Brighton.

I'm personally glad that players haven't forced themselves into the England squad based on the first 3 games of the season.

I can judge on the world cup too, where I also thought he was pretty poor. I've not really been impressed with Rashford since he break through season, since then he's been extremely wasteful, and not scored very many goals.

Archived