Second best kit in the championship

Tamworthram

The really interesting thing I took from the article is that this year the Villa kit was designed by a fan, and owner of a local design company, with result that kit sales are up 700%

Given the great mockups that often get posted on social media, Derby might learn a thing or two from that initiative. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Do get any extra points for having a 'nice' kit ? No .

Oh so its not that important then is it?

I'd disagree. It is one of the more trivial aspects of football but it matters as a fan. In fact as a fan (a FANatic) lots of little things matter as it's a big part of your life. 

Also if you're spending 23 games at home staring at it and some away games it would be great to look at a kit you love. 

It can also help with money in terms of sales 

5 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Thanks @Coconut - and you've totally proved my point. Much better.

Now why don't Derby have real wool?

I agree entirely. I've always said it, there's nothing worse than an completely unremarkable football shirt. Some people say smart and simple, I say plain, unimaginative, boring and without reason to purchase.

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

The really interesting thing I took from the article is that this year the Villa kit was designed by a fan, and owner of a local design company, with result that kit sales are up 700%

Given the great mockups that often get posted on social media, Derby might learn a thing or two from that initiative. 

I seriously doubt that number or, at least, the reason given for the increase. I simply cannot comprehend sales going up by seven times for any reason, short of it being delivered to your door with Natalie Portman inside it.

No football shirt, and I mean no, is more than an over marketed piece of polyester tut that wearer's should be physically imprisoned for being in possession of (suspended sentence for wearing on match day). It doesn't make me more of a fan to spend stupid money on some piece of lycra manufactured in a Malaysian sweatshop and to get all gooey eyed because this year's version has an extra thin collar or thinner stripes than the last one so I have to wear this one or people might think I don't love the club enough to be so stupid as to have to have this season's fourth kit, thirty eight year anniversary since they last cut the grass in a diamond formation celebration edition.

Football is about watching people play, it's not about being whipped up on the marketing band wagon.

P.S. that Reading kit is utter gash....

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

No football shirt, and I mean no, is more than an over marketed piece of polyester tut that wearer's should be physically imprisoned for being in possession of (suspended sentence for wearing on match day). It doesn't make me more of a fan to spend stupid money on some piece of lycra manufactured in a Malaysian sweatshop and to get all gooey eyed because this year's version has an extra thin collar or thinner stripes than the last one so I have to wear this one or people might think I don't love the club enough to be so stupid as to have to have this season's fourth kit, thirty eight year anniversary since they last cut the grass in a diamond formation celebration edition.

Football is about watching people play, it's not about being whipped up on the marketing band wagon.

Grow up 

For the record, I've not bought or worn a football shirt since I was about 11 (and I'm 34 now).  The worst type of football fan is someone like you, who tells people HOW they should be enjoying football.

I've seen people like you comment on how you're not a proper fan if you:

- Don't stand at games

- Don't to away games

- Don't sing/chant or make noise

- Wear a shirt

If all you are interested in is the action on the pitch then fine.  But don't go criticising other fans that are also intrigued and interested to see this years kits, the state of the pitch, who the latest board member is, the new marketing schemes, new community initiatives, etc... 

Some have an interest outside the 90 minutes of football 

12 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Brilliant! Now imagine Derby's- pure white wool and a little sheep's tail on the back of the shorts. Who wouldn't buy that?!

I know we want to trim the squad, but our entire team would die in the 1st game when we're on fire.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

OK Victor Meldrew, you've made your point. Also, it's not just about supporters buying replics shirts it's also about how good the team does or doesn't look (in terms of appearance). 

As Rab a dab a doo highlights, you don't get any extra points for having a nice looking kit (if you restricted threads on this forum to just important topics I think it would soon close down - no more debates about how good the food/service is, what number each player happens to have on their back, why new season tickets haven't arrived yet etc) but I think we'd all be up in arms if the shirt was hideous. 

I just saw a kid in town with the new Derby top on without the sponsor - is that because they can't put gambling sponsors on kids tops?? 

Anyway it looks brilliant without the sponsor - I reckon I'd buy one if I could get that 32red off.

Actually! With it being a gambling sponsor surely they can't expect their religious fans to wear a shirt promoting something that is against their religeon? So would they offer a version of the shirt without the sponsor? I'll happily convert to whichever religeon forbids gambling (pobably all of them?) for long enough to get a clean shirt.

21 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I just saw a kid in town with the new Derby top on without the sponsor - is that because they can't put gambling sponsors on kids tops?? 

Anyway it looks brilliant without the sponsor - I reckon I'd buy one if I could get that 32red off.

For child shirts they can't fit the sponsor on I think

At least that's my guess as Reading don't have any sponsors on child tops and we have an energy drink sponsoring us 

Archived