Public Sector Pay Rise.

Coneheadjohn

42 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

This might just be me failing to understand your wording, but are you saying that because minimum wage goes up, everyone who isn't on minimum wage's pay also goes up?

Because if so, that's not how it works.

Not quite true, my missus works in a pre school. When the minimum wage goes up, she gets a pay rise,  it she's not on the minimum wage.

I was genuinely trying to find out if this is the norm, sounds like it’s not then.

Thanks for replying.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Also, classic example of Government divide and rule. Get people saying "look at them public sector workers getting an x% pay rise, I've not had one like that for three years", whilst ignoring the fact they too are being screwed by diabolical conditions, contracts, pension provisions etc.

Yup, the message is clear. You want a pay rise? Well then find someone to fire and split their salary among your friends. Ah well, at least it's not our hospitals, schools and social infrastructure we are talking about here. Hold on....

Public sector is already running on multiple years of pay freezes and cuts. There's little or no fat left to trim. I know those in senior management are overpaid but still less paid than those in the private sector. 

Why this question always boils down to "pay them less!" screaming arguments I don't know. 

Congratulations to the train drivers, who have a union that looks out for their interests. Maybe we all need a strong, working trade union to defend our rights. 

9 hours ago, Duracell said:

As a teacher, I’d rather they gave something directly to pupils, seeing as its coming out of the D for E’s budget and not from the Treasury.

School’s don’t have enough money. Giving teachers a pay rise out of the education money pot may help recruitment and retention, but there’s more going on than that.

This is exactly how the PR is designed to go... Greedy public sector workers taking resources away from pupils, patients etc. 

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

that's a nice lot of rhetoric Philip green would be proud of that  .  People in public sector jobs are paying twice what they were to get a pension seven years later bottom line  .   Please don't get me started on the every ones living longer poo.

On the legal and medical website it's states NHS pensions are still good value also a NHS worker on money-saving expert pension forum asked advice about opting out of her pension but was rebuked, sorry not got links too busy. Glad you mentioned Phillip Green a government pension means these pensions will not go bust unlike the private sector.

4 minutes ago, cstand said:

On the legal and medical website it's states NHS pensions are still good value also a NHS worker on money-saving expert pension forum asked advice about opting out of her pension but was rebuked, sorry not got links too busy. Glad you mentioned Phillip Green a government pension means these pensions will not go bust unlike the private sector.

Philip green was the government consultant on public sector pensions and was hailed as some kind of demi god when he decided everyone should pay more and get it later- at one point he wanted workers in the north to get less than those in the South .   Five years later when he turned out to be a del boy of the highest order the same MP'S were calling him a disgrace and demanding talks on whether he could be under scrutiny for criminal activity.   Didn't bother revisiting public sector pensions though.  Hmmm

Archived