As a Rams fan.....

(As we’re in the middle of an amazing World Cup and this is aimed at the forums older members)

...in previous World Cups when Forest/Leeds etc players have played for England - have you managed to park your club based resentments and get behind them as they wear the 3 Lions on their shirt?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah seemed less tribal back then (late 80's and early 90's) which was weird as the off field stuff was at it's peak now.

But personally I had no problem getting behind Pearce, Webb, walker etc when playing for England, in fact Pearce was one of my favourite players and as @rynny says that Spain match was brilliant.

That's why I'm, liking the current run we're on, people seem to be putting club loyalties aside and just enjoying and getting behind the side.

35 minutes ago, Stripperg-ram said:

(As we’re in the middle of an amazing World Cup and this is aimed at the forums older members)

...in previous World Cups when Forest/Leeds etc players have played for England - have you managed to park your club based resentments and get behind them as they wear the 3 Lions on their shirt?

100% yes but then I don't remember any players I particularly dislike playing for England. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much irrelevant which club they happen to be playing for at the time. Our rivalry (not resentment) is with other clubs not necessarily their players.

2 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Absolutely. Even Physco.

I never minded Des Walker. He seems a very quiet guy. Never kissing the badge or winding up the fans.

but if someone had to miss.....oh dear its Stuart Pearce ?????

Shameful pleasure.....

i even remember Brian Moore's commentary when he observed that Pearce was in tears...."  i thought he was supposed to be a hard man". 

?

The 1990 England team had 2 Derby players & 2 forest. I remember that when we were winning I was fine with Pearce & Walker but when they came home it was "Pearce lost the world cup" songs & then when he gave away the lead to Sam Marino in 1993 the song evolved to "Pearce lost the world cup twice" 

Sith Happens

Pearce is very hard to dislike. Always comes across as a decent bloke to me, doesnt get caught up in slagging off in the media like fat kenny or collymore.

4 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Pearce is very hard to dislike. Always comes across as a decent bloke to me, doesnt get caught up in slagging off in the media like fat kenny or collymore.

Maybe it was the deliberate attempt to injure ted mcminn that put me off.

Always liked Pearce and Walker - thought Francis, Woodcock and Anderson were overrated though.

Have Leeds had any internationals since the disastrous Don Revie days - And I count Rio as a Man U player not Leeds

Archived