World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, HantsRam said:

Germany really didn't look all that did they.

I haven't seen any really scarily good teams at this wc yet.

England have as good of a chance as any. There is no reason at all we can't go far this world cup. No team is fully firing, and we are capable of beating everyone from what I've seen. Also seems like our squad has a lot of togetherness and a world class striker in Kane. I'm extremely optimistic.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Swedes will attack and you will pick them off on the counter. Perfect for you guys

I hope so. A draw would be enough to top the group and see Germany most likely face Brazil in the last 16.

Sweden will be a massive threat at set-pieces though. They have a clear height advantage there, but I’m hoping their lack of pace will be their downfall.

9 minutes ago, irobinson said:

Timid Sweden - that’s why they haven’t beaten them since 1978

your poo  - but your women are fit !!!

germany are well beatable 

Remarkable where these football fans come from. When I used to visit our Stockholm head office I only ever saw a load of right old boilers! 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

England have as good of a chance as any. There is no reason at all we can't go far this world cup. No team is fully firing, and we are capable of beating everyone from what I've seen. Also seems like our squad has a lot of togetherness and a world class striker in Kane. I'm extremely optimistic.

I think a reason why no team appears to be fully firing is because a lot of the smaller nations are just so much better defensively and tactically than before.

The great thing about this World Cup so far is the bigger teams not winning their group gives the unlikely lot like Mexico and Croatia a great chance of going far.

Mexico, for instance, won’t have a better chance of reaching the quarter-finals. A draw against Sweden and they get top spot, where they will probably face Switzerland in the last 16. 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think a reason why no team appears to be fully firing is because a lot of the smaller nations are just so much better defensively and tactically than before.

The great thing about this World Cup so far is the bigger teams not winning their group gives the unlikely lot like Mexico and Croatia a great chance of going far.

Mexico, for instance, won’t have a better chance of reaching the quarter-finals. A draw against Sweden and they get top spot, where they will probably face Switzerland in the last 16. 

I completely agree. It just makes this world cup a really open and entertaining one, because it is so unpredictable. I expected Argentina and Germany to breeze through their groups. I was completely wrong. It is nice to have it mixed up with different teams getting further this year.

9 minutes ago, Andicis said:

That's what champions are made of. Sweden got exactly what they deserved. Nothing. Played shithouse football vs 10 men. Football wins that game.

I would usually agree but when teams become so in love with their own football that they play midfield players at CB then I think their arrogance deserves a shock.

I mean Boateng and the full backs abandoned Rudiger and the defensive midfield position was non existent. You can admire their pursuit of total football but I see it more as disrespect to proper defensive structure and the opposition so I was quite glad to see them keep struggling on the counter over the two games. 

I hate negative teams and a hoofing center back but seeing a center back go charging off into the sunset would make me furious. Still like to see a clever CB reading the game well. 

Boateng, the full backs and whoever was supposed to be sitting protecting thought Sweden would crumble at the sight of their beautiful passing. It surprises me that they are surprised that they might need proper defenders. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

I mean Boateng and the full backs abandoned Rudiger and the defensive midfield position was non existent. You can admire their pursuit of total football but I see it more as disrespect to proper defensive structure and the opposition so I was quite glad to see them keep struggling on the counter over the two games. 

Boateng was absolutely shocking tonight that's for sure. I would say Germany had to set out to counter how they knew Sweden would play, which is 10 men behind the ball but like you said, they got it wrong defensively and got punished for it. That being said, Sweden were pretty cynical. They hacked down Germany whenever they could and even vs 10 men they didn't show any more ambition to actually win the game. So whilst Germany's defending was quite shambolic, I still can't stomach Sweden's football even more. So for me, I was happy to see the team with desire actually win the game.

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Really that bad huh?

South Korea were terrible, could have had 3 red cards in that game. Proper hack jobs.

I thought they taught discipline over that way?

Think you might be confusing the South with the North Bris 

Germany vs Brazil in the last 16 would be great. Either Neymar goes home early, or Germany do. Can’t lose.

Still a lot of football to be played between now and then.

Also, as for Martinez saying Belgium will be making loads of changes against England, I call bullsheet. If that’s the case, why take of both Hazard and Lukaku when they were on hattricks if you’re only going to rest them anyway? He probably said that hoping England would play a weakened team, giving them a better chance of topping the group.

If I was a Belgium fan I’d be relishing the propsect of topping the group and setting up a potential last 16 with Japan and a quarter-final with Switzerland or Mexico. Surely that’s better than Brazil or Germany?

3 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Germany vs Brazil in the last 16 would be great. Either Neymar goes home early, or Germany do. Can’t lose.

Still a lot of football to be played between now and then.

Also, as for Martinez saying Belgium will be making loads of changes against England, I call bullsheet. If that’s the case, why take of both Hazard and Lukaku when they were on hattricks if you’re only going to rest them anyway? He probably said that hoping England would play a weakened team, giving them a better chance of topping the group.

If I was a Belgium fan I’d be relishing the propsect of topping the group and setting up a potential last 16 with Japan and a quarter-final with Switzerland or Mexico. Surely that’s better than Brazil or Germany?

Did cross my mind that Martinez was bluffing, guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Lukaku, Hazard and Mertens are all injury doubts though.

59 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Boateng was absolutely shocking tonight that's for sure. I would say Germany had to set out to counter how they knew Sweden would play, which is 10 men behind the ball but like you said, they got it wrong defensively and got punished for it. That being said, Sweden were pretty cynical. They hacked down Germany whenever they could and even vs 10 men they didn't show any more ambition to actually win the game. So whilst Germany's defending was quite shambolic, I still can't stomach Sweden's football even more. So for me, I was happy to see the team with desire actually win the game.

To me, saying I'm happy Germany won because Sweden were cynical is like saying I'm happy I have rooster cancer because my scrotum has an itch.

Just now, Bob The Badger said:

To me, saying I'm happy Germany won because Sweden were cynical is like saying I'm happy I have rooster cancer because my scrotum has an itch.

PMSL, gotta love the forums ability to change language. I didn't really say rooster - although I wish I had.

Archived