World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s widespread. Arjen Robben was horrific with his diving at the last world cup, and let’s not make out England haven’t benefitted from a Michael Owen or Steven Gerrard swandive either.

But it’s part and parcel of the game unfortunately. 

You get comments like ‘Rugby players going down like that would be laughed at’ but Rugby players gain no advantage from going down clutching their face after a slight brush.

Until they really clamp down and hand out large punishments for doing it, it will always be a part of the game because your team can benefit greatly from it. The rewards of a penalty, or getting the opposition sent off, far outweighs the risk of at the very most seemingly picking up a yellow card and getting fans/pundits lamenting you for it. In Neymar’s case, do you think he gives a crap that Chris Waddle is berating him on the BBC - I bet he’s never even heard of him.

They do, but it’s more rampant with Spanish/Portuguese speaking players. Whilst trying to con the ref is part of the game, it’s not a part of the game I like to see.

24 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It’s widespread. Arjen Robben was horrific with his diving at the last world cup, and let’s not make out England haven’t benefitted from a Michael Owen or Steven Gerrard swandive either.

But it’s part and parcel of the game unfortunately. 

You get comments like ‘Rugby players going down like that would be laughed at’ but Rugby players gain no advantage from going down clutching their face after a slight brush.

Until they really clamp down and hand out large punishments for doing it, it will always be a part of the game because your team can benefit greatly from it. The rewards of a penalty, or getting the opposition sent off, far outweighs the risk of at the very most seemingly picking up a yellow card and getting fans/pundits lamenting you for it. In Neymar’s case, do you think he gives a crap that Chris Waddle is berating him on the BBC - I bet he’s never even heard of him.

Dele Alli and Ashley Young are pretty good at it too.

Nigeria's no.6 looks so much like Nick Blackman it really threw me for a loop when I glanced up to see his face for a split second.

8 minutes ago, David said:

Haha not having that!

image.thumb.png.400eb1d31a4de89aec6926da62dc2f51.png

image.png.1b4dd6f058f2846152200f4ea4822e2e.png

Although on closer inspection it's not as close as that cursory glance suggested it. Those noses, facial hair and hairstyle just made the initial connection I think. 

11 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Haha not having that!

Although on closer inspection it's not as close as that cursory glance suggested it. Those noses, facial hair and hairstyle just made the initial connection I think. 

The-Apprentice--Sir-Alan-Sugar.jpg

Iceland manager must take the blame for this result, playing 442 in that heat against a 5 man Nigeria midfield was suicidal and he didn't change anything when it was clear what the problem was.  Well played Nigeria, they did their part well.  Our only hope now is a fleeting one, Nigeria and Argentina to draw 0-0 and while we beat Croatia 2-0

34 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Haha not having that!

Back peddle, back peddle, back peddle. 

Just now, TigerTedd said:

Back peddle, back peddle, back peddle. 

That's as far back as I'm going! I stand by their likeness.

36 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Haha not having that!

Sureeeee, the noses and facial hair is what you saw first.... I believe you...

31 minutes ago, ramit said:

Iceland manager must take the blame for this result, playing 442 in that heat against a 5 man Nigeria midfield was suicidal and he didn't change anything when it was clear what the problem was.  Well played Nigeria, they did their part well.  Our only hope now is a fleeting one, Nigeria and Argentina to draw 0-0 and while we beat Croatia 2-0

Iceland looked the better team up until the first goal.

The first goal at this tournament means so much. It really dictates how the game plays out, and certainly favours counterattacking teams. There have been a few occasions where a team has largely been second best, managed to grab the first goal and then go on to look so much better afterwards. Confidence also plays a big part too I guess.

I don't think anybody has come from behind to win a game yet have they?

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Sureeeee, the noses and facial hair is what you saw first.... I believe you...

haha

A few games aside, is this also the lowest scoring World Cup ever to have taken place in Europe?

I remember in France and Germany there were tonnes of goals in the group stage. 10 of 25 games so far have finished 1-0, while only three games have had more than three goals in it.

Only 9 in 25 have seen both teams score too. That means there have been 16 clean sheets in 25 games.

Are defences just much better these days? Or teams much better defensively set up?

Archived