World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Germany are going nowhere in the tournament if they continue with this midfield two. Khedira and Kroos are too slow and are getting turned over on the counter attack every Mexico attack.

They have to switch to a midfield three to get more balance. Take Draxler off and bring Rudy or Gundogan on.

I don’t know why Loew hasn’t learnt his lesson as the same thing happened in the last World Cup before they eventually switched to a 4-3-3.

I take it he didn't ring you then.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a performance by Mexico!

I think Germany will take stock and bounce back. They are too good not to. But they paid for their arrogance. You get the feeling they took Mexico lightly.

Fortunately for them, Sweden and South Korea won’t pose as many problems as Mexico did with the pace and trickery of Lozano, Hernandez and Vela.

Mexico were perfectly set up to cause Germany problems - organised at the back and quick on the counter.

I am not sure why Germany didn’t readjust. They were committing too many men forward and leaving gaps everywhere.

It’ll be interesting to see if Mexico can play as well against teams who are less aggressive than Germany.

This tournament is absolutely wide open. All bets are off.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Ouch! ?

AD35EF5C-BFF9-403B-9B68-13CDB8DD1F84.jpeg

I don't mind having less possession if you look good with what you have. Mexico, technically, are lightyears ahead of what Derby served up under Rowett last season.

Mexico barely put their foot through it aimlessly. In fact, a lot of their attacks were constructed by pinging the ball into Chicharito, who then turned and laid it on to a midfield runner. Very McClaren-esque with Chris Martin.

4 minutes ago, needles said:

Germany losing raises the prospect of them finishing second. If we can win our group, it gives us a run to the SF without playing a traditionally major nation. It's our year. We're going to win it. Wibble. ???????

Actually, I think we'll need to finish 2nd so we miss the winner of a Brazil vs Germany 2nd round match. I think.

If so, could be a great battle to lose vs Belgium.

11 minutes ago, sage said:

I take it he didn't ring you then.

I am loving Loew being brought down by a peg or two. His lack of respect for Mexico by only playing two in midfield is a reason why they didn’t win today. 

Lahm, Klose, Mertesacker and Schweinsteiger are huge losses on and off the pitch for Germany. Loew needs to put his pride to one side and play with a midfield three again, whenever they play a two in midfield they never look convincing. 

17 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I am loving Loew being brought down by a peg or two. His lack of respect for Mexico by only playing two in midfield is a reason why they didn’t win today. 

Lahm, Klose, Mertesacker and Schweinsteiger are huge losses on and off the pitch for Germany. Loew needs to put his pride to one side and play with a midfield three again, whenever they play a two in midfield they never look convincing. 

Is it the fact that they play a midfield two or is it the fact that the centre backs play high up and their full backs play as extra midfielders with no defensive discipline?

They didn’t do their homework on Mexico, who got in behind time and time again.

The thing is that they will probably get away with it against lesser, not so adventurous sides like Sweden and South Korea.

It all comes back to the omission of Sane though - would they need to commit so many men forward if they had a player with express pace who could stretch defences in the way Sane does?

It looks even more baffling than before.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

Is it the fact that they play a midfield two or is it the fact that the centre backs play high up and their full backs play as extra midfielders with no defensive discipline?

They didn’t do their homework on Mexico, who got in behind time and time again.

The thing is that they will probably get away with it against lesser, not so adventurous sides like Sweden and South Korea.

It all comes back to the omission of Sane though - would they need to commit so many men forward if they had a player with express pace who could stretch defences in the way Sane does?

It looks even more baffling than before.

Spot on with Sane. A really bizarre choice to leave him behind. He's probably the only ball-carrier Germany had capable of driving from deep. Kroos, Ozil, Draxler, Muller and Khedira were all passers, seemingly looking to play Werner in.

Germany's team in 2014 was pretty much perfect, and so full of energy. Gotze was better back then, but even in Schurrle they had a player who could penetrate and drive beyond the defence. They really lacked that today.

Mexico's pressing and directness killed Germany's midfield. They were so slow and pushed so far up, as you say it forced the CB's to push right up, meaning they could just play the ball in behind with oceans of space to to into.

Kimmich, at right-back, barely played as a right-back all game. Lozano got in behind him so many times and found himself one vs one with one of the CBs.

Khedira, Kroos and Ozil were painfully slow out of possession too. Better teams than Mexico will look to exploit that as well. Brazil could rip that apart with Neymar, Willian, Gabriel Jesus, Coutinho or Firmino driving at them.

29 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Going to have to extend these studios to fit all these pundits on. 

But then you need a 5 man team to tell you what a good pass looks like. 

Not exactly sure why the BBC and ITV have shipped a load of pundits over to Russia to sit in a studio miles away from the stadium. Why not a studio in London with screens behind them. Waste of bloody money. 

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, David said:

Not exactly sure why the BBC and ITV have shipped a load of pundits over to Russia to sit in a studio miles away from the stadium. Why not a studio in London with screens behind them. Waste of bloody money. 

I was wondering if they were here or there. Just a big jolly then, no doubt golf during off time is classed as expenses. No point whatsoever.

Dont mind if Itv do it to fair but bbc are spending our money on it.

38 minutes ago, David said:

It's a clique. 

But we are learning here. This halftime chat has been an education.

Archived