Which Derby players should Stoke sign? Stoke Newspaper Poll

TobyWanKenobi

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Can they not? They have hundreds of millions to spend and we are desperate to sell - if they want someone in our squad they are going to sign him.

Not if the new manager wants to keep them!

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Not if the new manager wants to keep them!

Doesn't matter who the new manager is - we are cutting the wage bill, which means players like Vydra, etc will be leaving. It might not be to Stoke, but they will be going - doesn't matter what the manager says.

Just now, GenBr said:

Doesn't matter who the new manager is - we are cutting the wage bill, which means players like Vydra, etc will be leaving. It might not be to Stoke, but they will be going - doesn't matter what the manager says.

Mel backs his managers.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Mel backs his managers.

Sorry. Have you not been following anything coming out of the club or Mel's mouth for the past 6 months? You can say he backs his managers, but it doesn't change the reality. I guarantee you players like Vydra or anyone else on high wages will be gone as soon as a bid comes in.

Who would actually choose Stoke if they had a choice?

Sorry. Have you not been following anything coming out of the club or Mel's mouth for the past 6 months? You can say he backs his managers, but it doesn't change the reality. I guarantee you players like Vydra or anyone else on high wages will be gone as soon as a bid comes in.

He's not said that has he? He's suggested there isn't as much money to throw around. @ramblur has said (I think) that we'll be inside FFP, so what's the problem? Just no big new signings is what I took it to mean.

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's not said that has he? He's suggested there isn't as much money to throw around. @ramblur has said (I think) that we'll be inside FFP, so what's the problem? Just no big new signings is what I took it to mean.

As knowledgeable as Ramblur is, and he is very knowledgeable, he doesn't know the entirety of our finances. He, like the rest of us, is working essentially a year behind where we are now and a lot can change in a year.

The fact there are articles by reputable journalists, who more than likely have sources that are in the know, suggesting we have to sell the likes of Vydra is worrying in my opinion and shouldn't be taken with a pinch of salt.

Just now, PodgeyRam said:

The fact there are articles by reputable journalists, who more than likely have sources that are in the know, suggesting we have to sell the likes of Vydra is worrying in my opinion and shouldn't be taken with a pinch of salt.

They're basing it on Mel saying 'no more big spending' - what else could they go on if there are no more up to date accounts?!

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mel wants to drastically reduce the wage budget according to news reports. Virtually everyone who plays for us other than youth players are on ludicrous wages. The only way the wage bill will come down significantly even with the players already leaving is to sell more players. I suppose we will have to wait and see what happens, but at the very least I expect Vydra, Bryson, Martin and Carson to leave - perhaps it will allow some transfer funds to be freed up, but all just speculation at this point.

Also in regards to FFP we may be within it, but Mel might be wanting to stop pouring so much of his own money into the club. He has stated before that their are a lot of things outside football that he wants to do with his money.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I did say that,Roy, but there are 2 aspects to this. As I expect the 16/17 FFP result was c£2m, it would be quite hard to fall foul of FFP in the 16/17, 17/18, 18/19 cycle, but unfortunately it's not quite as simple as that. If we were to go over £13m in this year and next, then it makes our 19/20 allowance smaller. Even if we went, say, £14m in both years (staying comfortably within the retrospective cycle) , that would only leave £11m for 19/20, and it's not easy to pare off £3m when you've already been shedding costs. Just imagine if it were higher than £14m in any of the 2 years.

I see staying within £13m this year a challenge as things stand, and next year could be nasty if certain things don't fall into place. However I can't predict the scale of any increases in turnover,  though I'd be very surprised if it hasn't increased since 16/17 ( The Yard / Rams TV).

Also, there's no way I can predict the scale or nature of any potential add-ons re Hendrick, Hughes and Ince.

With the club having released the FFP results for both 14/15 and 15/16, I was a bit surprised that it didn't release 16/17. However, thinking about it, if a low figure had been released, the general fan might just have thought it was all plain sailing for this year and next.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

They're basing it on Mel saying 'no more big spending' - what else could they go on if there are no more up to date accounts?!

In part they are basing it on that. But they will alsoo be basing it on things such as what players have told their agents, what players have told their colleagues etc. There's a whole ecosystem within football that we, as members of the general public, do not get to tap into to form our opinions. 

Journalists such as John Percy and Alan Nixon (to a lesser extent) do. Hence why we all go them for information.

3 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Journalists such as John Percy and Alan Nixon (to a lesser extent) do. Hence why we all go them for information.

About obvious things such as who's been tapped up and seen where, but financial insiders details...not convinced.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who doesn't really want to play for our club can feck off, but that's the stance I've always held.

has it occured to them that some of the players stoke want to 'poach' might be glad Rowetts going. I cant think why would Vydra want to join him to sit on the bench or start play brilliantly & be subbed for Jamie Hanson. He'll be off to the prem

1 hour ago, GenBr said:

Can they not? They have hundreds of millions to spend and we are desperate to sell - if they want someone in our squad they are going to sign him.

Yes, you have hit the nail on the head. 

Archived