EFL highlights move to Quest

ThePrisoner

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Grimbeard said:

I've tried to see the difference, I really have, but it looks exactly the same to me.

HD/Ultra HD, the Emperor's new clothes?

You need your eyes tested. I was the same, couldn’t figure out what the fuss was about. Got given some spectacles by the nice lady at Vision Express and ooooh, is this HD, went home, now I refuse to acknowledge any channels existence that only offers their programmes in SD

14 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

I've tried to see the difference, I really have, but it looks exactly the same to me.

I used to agree with you, but I swear non-HD channels must have lowered their quality as part of a conspiracy to make everyone buy new HD TV's over the last couple of years because now the quality is night and day to me.

5 hours ago, David said:

You need your eyes tested. I was the same, couldn’t figure out what the fuss was about. Got given some spectacles by the nice lady at Vision Express and ooooh, is this HD, went home, now I refuse to acknowledge any channels existence that only offers their programmes in SD

It annoys me that sd channels even exist. Here I am wanting to watch march of the day in hd, bbc 1 sd is at the top of my epg. BBC 1 hd is about 6 pages down. By the time I’ve worked out where it is, I’ve missed my programme, so I normally just give up and watch the hd channel. 

Why can’t it be clever enough to have setting where you say ‘I have an hd tv, replace any sd channels in my epg with the hd equivalent’. 

In a world of sky q, and self driving cars, you’d think that would be possible. 

And the hd tab on the epg doesn’t count. Everything’s out of order, why do I find more4 hd before channel 4 hd?!

rant over 

Sith Happens
16 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

A lot depends on the size, and quality of your TV.

If you are viewing on anything less than 40" then SD/HD difference is going to be negligible, if your 50" set cost £150 from asda then also won't see the difference you would see on a good quality TV set.

I haven't really looked into 4k but suspect something similar applies and you probably need to go to 55" or something like that.

Sith Happens
16 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

I used to agree with you, but I swear non-HD channels must have lowered their quality as part of a conspiracy to make everyone buy new HD TV's over the last couple of years because now the quality is night and day to me.

I agree some of the 'lesser' channels do seem very poor quality, the Sony Channel, or Horror Channel etc.

Sith Happens
11 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

It annoys me that sd channels even exist. Here I am wanting to watch march of the day in hd, bbc 1 sd is at the top of my epg. BBC 1 hd is about 6 pages down. By the time I’ve worked out where it is, I’ve missed my programme, so I normally just give up and watch the hd channel. 

Yeah I dont know why they can't have the HD showing, although you can of course filter by HD etc.

My dad had his brand new TV and was saying couldn't really tell much difference, then I pointed out to him he needed to watch the HD channels to notice a difference ?

Size of TV, quality of TV, and viewing distance are all key factors in how much of an improvement you're going to see.

Whereas the old CRTs were optimised for distance viewing, modern HD sets are best viewed much closer. 

Anything less than 60" viewed at more than 7/8 feet, and you're not going to see much difference.

On 07/05/2018 at 14:06, Grimbeard said:

3-year-old  48" LG, viewed from about 8', wearing me glasses, flicking between BBC1 HD and BBC1 SD. The difference? Nowt, zip, zilch, bugger all.

Is your Sky/Virgin box outputting a HD signal or an SD signal to the television?

• 1 month later...

Archived