The dilemma for Derby County.

Curtains

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, EssendonRam said:

There’s a middle road and I’d argue that it’s the difference in the perception of this year’s squad and that of the 2012 squad.

Build a core around Derby academy youth and supplement them as required.

That, to me, is the question: why is our academy not producing the players that other academies seem to be?

Not only do they give fans players like Will Hughes to “grow up with”, but they ultimately provide a return to the club too (precisely why so many query the deal to sell Will Hughes).

There is a middle road if that’s what the fans want. 

The middle road I would argue is mid table Championship or lower. 

10 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

There’s a middle road and I’d argue that it’s the difference in the perception of this year’s squad and that of the 2012 squad.

Build a core around Derby academy youth and supplement them as required.

That, to me, is the question: why is our academy not producing the players that other academies seem to be?

Not only do they give fans players like Will Hughes to “grow up with”, but they ultimately provide a return to the club too (precisely why so many query the deal to sell Will Hughes).

Genuine question to you any others who follow academy outputs.  Are we really that bad when compared with similar sized clubs?  I don't know and it would be disappointing if we were poor

15 minutes ago, curtains said:

There is a middle road if that’s what the fans want. 

The middle road I would argue is mid table Championship or lower. 

When we reached Wembley we had the 6th lowest wage bill in the division and the squad cost £5-6,000,000

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

Go too far down the economy line and you might be a Sunderland .

Or maybe a Huddersfield, £5m spent over 16/17, 15/16, 14/15.

Again, it’s not how much you spend, it’s how you spend it. 

As already mentioned its about what we are buying not what we are spending, also the agents involved, there are to many deals done that benefit the agents and the players and not the club, we have signed some dross over the years, Nigel had the right idea, at that time we were bringing in younger hungry players who wanted success, the only problem was that being hungry doesn't make you successful, you need the right attributes to go with the passion.

Saying that I would rather see that type of player all day long playing in our shirt than the mercenaries who are past there sell buy date such as Bent and Jerome who just turn up for the money, our first team at the moment is full of players at the end of their careers, journey men, none of whom really made it, they may have played in the premier league but they were not stand outs and they are forming our first team, ledley, davies, huddlestone, baird, nugent, olsson, Johnson, weimann, Anya, keough, shackell pearce, add to that list the rest of the squad , Lawrence, martin, forsyth, wisdom, butterfield, Thorne and its plain to see why we are going nowhere.

we are back almost at square one, in need of a total rebuild, Carson is about the only player who you could see playing in the premier league and a fixture even in this league for years to come, Vydra has shown us flashes this season of the player that he could be with the right team around him other than that it doesn't look great.

so whose to blame ? Mel ? Rush ? they certainly need to shoulder some of the blame, who influenced the spending of the cash ?

agents ?

previous managers ?

we have bought a 10p lucky mix and ended up with a bag full of parma violets and mojos ! but the only problem is we have spent all of our pocket money and mum wants the change back !!

1 minute ago, David said:

Or maybe a Huddersfield, £5m spent over 16/17, 15/16, 14/15.

Again, it’s not how much you spend, it’s how you spend it. 

Totally agree. 

So who has spent unwisely at DCFC 

Easy in hindsight  

Sith Happens
Just now, curtains said:

So was that down to NC or Steve McClaren or the Americans. 

Cant it be down to all 3?

3 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

If my memory serves me well the season they went up the net spend was £2.2m ,amazing .

Transfermarkt figures say £4.01m spent, £1.31m received.

Doesn’t cover loan fees though with Mooy, Brown and Palmer.

Either way, shows you don’t need a summer of £30m to go up.

Just now, David said:

Transfermarkt figures say £4.01m spent, £1.31m received.

Doesn’t cover loan fees though with Mooy, Brown and Palmer.

Either way, shows you don’t need a summer of £30m to go up.

Have transfer values and fees gone up or is that a figment of imagination. 

I mean that Liverpool Centre Back was 75 Million lol. 

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Bet they get relegated. 

They might but at least they are making a fist of it.

2 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Crass statement. If they do they will still have achieved more than ourselves and will come down with millions upon millions in parachute payments.

I’ve been told by many  the parachute payments don’t really outway the money spent on the likes of Ince etc 

Archived