The dilemma for Derby County.

Curtains

As I see it  

Carry on reducing the squad size and spending less and not getting promoted in future seasons if we miss out this time and losing gate numbers and gate receipts and fan interest and hope  the academy can produce the players for the future and losing gate numbers and gate receipts if they don’t  

——————-

Interesting article by Mel Morris on difficulties for Championship clubs 

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-news-mel-morris-1391981

PS Other option spend your way out of the Championship and reap the Premier League Millions  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having not read it yet, but having heard Mel talk about this before :
You can get promoted by living within your means, by getting a good team together which buys into, an suits the system.
Likewise you could over spend like Wolves or QPR in the past, thern not get promoted and be in serious do-do.

You have to live within your means, and you cannot go down a path where financially it is unsustainable.

1 minute ago, jagerbob said:

Having not read it yet, but having heard Mel talk about this before :
You can get promoted by living within your means, by getting a good team together which buys into, an suits the system.
Likewise you could over spend like Wolves or QPR in the past, thern not get promoted and be in serious do-do.

You have to live within your means, and you cannot go down a path where financially it is unsustainable.

I don’t think Wolves are in trouble are they ! 

They are about to reap the many rewards of the Premier League 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

We tried that and failed so why is it another option.

It could be said we lost our bottle. 

Speculate to accumulate is the phrase that comes to mind but it has risks .

Is it a risk worth taking well Wolves thought it was and so have other teams. 

I like the idea of building a team rather than trying to manufacture one , although I love Derby and always will I don't particularly like our team too much at the moment. Not many fans favourites or hero's for kiddies . Too many came for the money , you think players like Johnson , Butterfield , Anya too name but a few are here because they really want to be ? I can honestly say I'm not fussed about getting to the premier league by any means , it wouldn't bother me if we were in this division for another 5 years as long as I can see progress and us doing things the right way. The year we over achieved under McClaren and made the play off final has created a diasulion too to many fans. Did anyone honestly think that season we were good enough to go up ? I didn't at the start of it under Clough and the same happened again this season when we were 2nd everyone thought we were up , boom done it ! We still light do and I'll be celebrating as much as every other fan if we go up of course I will. I just won't be too disappointed if we don't go up. 

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

How many seasons do you keep speculating for if it doesn’t pay off?

We spent more in transfer fees than Wolves have this season back in 15/16, we didn’t have a Mendes though.

Another West Midlands side Villa, £80m isn’t it now over 2 seasons, one place above us in the table.

It’s not how much you spend, it’s how you spend it.

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I like the idea of building a team rather than trying to manufacture one , although I love Derby and always will I don't particularly like our team too much at the moment. Not many fans favourites or hero's for kiddies . Too many came for the money , you think players like Johnson , Butterfield , Anya too name but a few are here because they really want to be ? I can honestly say I'm not fussed about getting to the premier league by any means , it wouldn't bother me if we were in this division for another 5 years as long as I can see progress and us doing things the right way. The year we over achieved under McClaren and made the play off final has created a diasulion too to many fans. Did anyone honestly think that season we were good enough to go up ? I didn't at the start of it under Clough and the same happened again this season when we were 2nd everyone thought we were up , boom done it ! We still light do and I'll be celebrating as much as every other fan if we go up of course I will. I just won't be too disappointed if we don't go up. 

Are you a sentimentalist mate. 

Maybe only players born in Derby should play for Derby. 

Failed transfers happen at every club but the trick is to get more right than wrong. 

1 minute ago, David said:

How many seasons do you keep speculating for if it doesn’t pay off?

We spent more in transfer fees than Wolves this season back in 15/16, we didn’t have a Mendes though.

Another West Midlands side Villa, £80m isn’t it now over 2 seasons, one place above us in the table.

It’s not how much you spend, it’s how you spend it.

Totally agree but if you fail one time does that mean you just give up and hope .

Just now, curtains said:

Totally agree but if you fail one time does that mean you just give up and hope .

So how many seasons do you expect us to speculate before you take a step back and say this isn’t working? 1 season, 2, 3, 4?

20 minutes ago, curtains said:

I can never tell whether you're being wilfully obtuse or not.

We've tried that tact and failed, what makes you think we will now rush in no pun intended to compound our error.

Just now, David said:

So how many seasons do you expect us to speculate before you take a step back and say this isn’t working? 1 season, 2, 3, 4?

That’s the point mate we have been burnt and the once bitten twice shy scenario seems to want to be run at DCFC except it isn’t because Mel and Gary  have still spent despite many fans saying play the U23s all the time .

That might sound contradictory which it is but in truth we haven’t spent enough on what I would call Premier League quality players even though Davies and Huddlestone have been great for us. 

In January we could have gone for it when we were in 2nd spot but we chose note to buy the quality we needed even though Jerome and Palmer may yet see us promoted. 

Bringing the academy players in the first team has to be done correctly by the management team but only if they will drive us to promotion. 

1 minute ago, Inglorius said:

I can never tell whether you're being wilfully obtuse or not.

We've tried that tact and failed, what makes you think we will now rush in no pun intended to compound our error.

How can getting Premier League millions compound the error as the like of Barnsley and Bournemouth etc have proved. 

5 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd be happier with scale it back and build for a season or two. We had our throw money at it chance and didn't make it. The keeping trying is as likely to bring more greif as it is success.

And when that doesn’t work ! 

Just now, curtains said:

How can getting Premier League millions compound the error as the like of Barnsley and Bournemouth etc have proved. 

What works in one scenario doesn't always work for another; it's not a one size fits all silver bullet.

15 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Are you a sentimentalist mate. 

Maybe only players born in Derby should play for Derby. 

Failed transfers happen at every club but the trick is to get more right than wrong. 

There’s a middle road and I’d argue that it’s the difference in the perception of this year’s squad and that of the 2012 squad.

Build a core around Derby academy youth and supplement them as required.

That, to me, is the question: why is our academy not producing the players that other academies seem to be?

Not only do they give fans players like Will Hughes to “grow up with”, but they ultimately provide a return to the club too (precisely why so many query the deal to sell Will Hughes).

Archived