FFP going into next season

Kernow

There are many people who know lots about FFP, I don’t profess to but here is my take.

Fulham have been in the Prem far more recently so likely to have a bigger pot than us before they’re compromised by FFP. Villa and Boro definitely helped by parachute payments. Wolves just flouting the rules! 

Derby and Forest have been in this league 10 seasons (more in their case). They are the right comparison. They went for it without parachute payments, broke the rules and it cost them with an embargo. They’ve had 3-4 seasons of mediocrity since and were nearly relegated.  We’ve managed to stay inside the rules by being more frugal past 2 seasons. But that means it’s difficult to compete spending wise against those at the top of the division. But we really don’t want to be in a Forest situation.

The irony is Forest are now reckoning they’re in a position to spend big again!! Could be interesting next season.

That spending spree in 15/16 has really cost us.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Papahet said:

Morris has had a shocker in his tenure so far, an absolute shocker

For a while it was like putting Viv Nicholson in charge of transfers. The chairman showed a lack of fiduciary whatsit. 

When we talk about being within FFP limits we seem to be ignoring the fact that this limit is a £39 million loss over 3 years and this is being covered by somebody who is getting a lot of stick because the team isn't winning. The vast majority of clubs are either bankrolled by a group or individual, or accumulate debt - sometimes both. We need somebody to put their hand in their pocket to cover this and help us compete and these people don't grow on trees. Those who want him out should think about who would replace him. Anonymous Asian/Middle-Eastern/American "investors" is not specific enough either. 

47 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

When we talk about being within FFP limits we seem to be ignoring the fact that this limit is a £39 million loss over 3 years and this is being covered by somebody who is getting a lot of stick because the team isn't winning. The vast majority of clubs are either bankrolled by a group or individual, or accumulate debt - sometimes both. We need somebody to put their hand in their pocket to cover this and help us compete and these people don't grow on trees. Those who want him out should think about who would replace him. Anonymous Asian/Middle-Eastern/American "investors" is not specific enough either. 

Yes great post some on hear have quickly forgotten the three amigos and Murdho McKay 

On 18/03/2018 at 07:41, BramcoteRam84 said:

There are many people who know lots about FFP, I don’t profess to but here is my take.

Fulham have been in the Prem far more recently so likely to have a bigger pot than us before they’re compromised by FFP. Villa and Boro definitely helped by parachute payments. Wolves just flouting the rules! 

Which rules exactly have Wolves been flouting, all I hear is a lot of sour grapes but nothing to back it up

17 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Which rules exactly have Wolves been flouting, all I hear is a lot of sour grapes but nothing to back it up

That may be but why are the Football League running a check on them  Its not just FFP they are looking at its is Mendes as the biggest agent in Europe and his position at Wolves broken any rules There are quite a lot of Championship owners think they have 

1 hour ago, Mistaram said:

That may be but why are the Football League running a check on them  Its not just FFP they are looking at its is Mendes as the biggest agent in Europe and his position at Wolves broken any rules There are quite a lot of Championship owners think they have 

Mysteriously the set up at Wolves wasn't a problem last season when they finished 14th but became an issue when they ran away with the league. Funny that.

4 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Nice Avatar, don't have enough Viz on here.

I haven't seen many posts, if any, calling for the owner to go, so I don't get your point?

On the debt point, it's a maximum of £5m per year allowed, which makes having a wealthy benefactor even more important.

Luckily we have one, I suspect that he's no longer funding it to the maximum allowed, but that's not a problem in my eyes, he's done more than enough dough already to warrant a more frugal approach.

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Nice Avatar, don't have enough Viz on here.

I haven't seen many posts, if any, calling for the owner to go, so I don't get your point?

On the debt point, it's a maximum of £5m per year allowed, which makes having a wealthy benefactor even more important.

Luckily we have one, I suspect that he's no longer funding it to the maximum allowed, but that's not a problem in my eyes, he's done more than enough dough already to warrant a more frugal approach.

With the rider that I'm going purely from memory here, I seem to remember that if you post an FFP result below a £5m loss, then you can fund such loss by debt if you wish. However,,if you go over this limit, it has to be funded by equity ( I don't think you can fund the first £5m by debt,with the balance equity. I think it has to be all equity.)

This probably reinforces your point. I've already seen Mel put in close to £100m since taking over, and you can add the amount to finance his initial holding + the amount to buy out previous owners. I'd be quite happy if we pulled back from the heavy spending if we don't get promoted.

7 minutes ago, ramblur said:

With the rider that I'm going purely from memory here, I seem to remember that if you post an FFP result below a £5m loss, then you can fund such loss by debt if you wish. However,,if you go over this limit, it has to be funded by equity ( I don't think you can fund the first £5m by debt,with the balance equity. I think it has to be all equity.)

This probably reinforces your point. I've already seen Mel put in close to £100m since taking over, and you can add the amount to finance his initial holding + the amount to buy out previous owners. I'd be quite happy if we pulled back from the heavy spending if we don't get promoted.

It's one of the problems with FFP in my opinion.

It creates an expectation that your backer/s will fund you upto the max, all the time.

Should an owner only feel able to lose £8m a year, for example, you will inevitably get people bemoaning the lack of backing, when that's not the case at all.

4 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It creates an expectation that your backer/s will fund you upto the max, all the time.

Should an owner only feel able to lose £8m a year, for example, you will inevitably get people bemoaning the lack of backing, when that's not the case at all.

Always is easier to spend others money, my missus tries all the time. 

1 minute ago, David said:

Always is easier to spend others money, my missus tries all the time. 

Most of your cash is in offshore cypto-currency accounts surely, safe enough there.

I bet you tell her you don't fly, and as soon as her backs turned it's off to Monaco to spend more time with your money!

2 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

The previous owners' reign coincided with the initial FFP restrictions, which featured a falling amount year by year ( with the hope that it might eventually be driven down to break even) . Naturally, I think they were pretty happy with this, for obvious reasons. Just imagine the pressure they'd have been under if the new arrangements had come in a few years earlier.

It's the clubs, by their voting, that rubber stamp these arrangements. I got a bit concerned when I read these reports that other clubs were forming focus groups (presumably to seek amendments, and it wouldn't surprise me if they want the limits upped....horror).

3 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Most of your cash is in offshore cypto-currency accounts surely, safe enough there.

I bet you tell her you don't fly, and as soon as her backs turned it's off to Monaco to spend more time with your money!

Avoided all the crypto currency, if you can't buy a pint of milk with it it's not money, might be missing out but I'm staying well clear

Some members remind me a bit of that famous Tommy Cooper sketch,where he dips into a sack to pull out different hats to tell his story.

When PC was appointed and backed to the hilt ,I  didn't see too many dissenting posts. Sure, some (including me) wondered if the ability to coach top class players would translate into the EFL Championship. As far as the signings go, there were the embarrassing  boasts by some that we were going to romp the League (especially after the signings of Johnno and Butters).

Fast forward and the 'hindsight' hat is pulled out of the bag to enable attacks on the owner (mainly)

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

Mysteriously the set up at Wolves wasn't a problem last season when they finished 14th but became an issue when they ran away with the league. Funny that.

Don't shoot the messenger just posting what's on the FL web site ?

Archived