FFP going into next season

Kernow

Mickey Lewis, courtesy of a member's 'handle' I've just seen. I may even have missed quite a few others. Blades was the fair haired lad.

........ and I forgot to mention the possibility of agents' fees in respect of contract extensions in the 15/16 figures (and I think there were one or two of those).

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ramblur said:

Almost totally agree with your last point and almost think it would be a good idea if some U23 promotion was actually forced. I made this biblical analogy some time ago ('No man may serve 2 masters etc') . It seems to me that we can't (or don't want to) serve the 'master' of trying to be promoted, whilst also trying to serve the other 'master' of introducing youth. As has been mentioned before, I thoroughly agree that it's highly unlikely that Will or Jeff would have been introduced in the current climate, so how many more Wills and Jeffs are there that aren't getting a chance? If all these high spending periods all fail, I think it might be a time for a rethink.

I've been very lucky (and I think you have too) to have seen the good times, but over my period of support I've seen very little youth introduced, and perhaps I'm being selfish in wanting to complete my 'portfolio' before I snuff it. However, I'm not just suggesting youth for the sake of it, as I genuinely feel we've got some who deserve a chance. Maybe the injection of a bit of enthusiasm and great desire to succeed (to further their careers and earn enhanced wages) is what we need, mixed in with the rest.

Although I can think of relatively few from the past, the thing that struck me was how big a success rate we had with those few. I apologise for any I miss out (and ignoring the Storer/Ward days that produced a few), I came up with this list:-

Steve Powell, Colin Boulton, Jeff Bourne, Dave Langan, Pete Daniel (given a chance at CH),Craig Ramage, Chris Rigott, Malcolm Christie, Will and Jeff. Not really that many in about 50 years! Of course Phil Boyer wasn't given a chance, but did very well elsewhere. The other thing that struck me was that all of the above were given good runs in the side ( and I don't remember us losing many/any games because of their introductions. Apologies to big Rog, because I've missed him out (by accident).

Jamie and Mason haven't had good runs in the side, although Mason was very unlucky to get injured just as he was beginning to show signs.

Heavens, we might have introduced more in the Storer/ Ward days.

Going back to 15/16, the actual figures from the accounts (which I trust more than the 'thought to be/believed to be' stuff) were:-

Fees £26.647m,  Transfer levies/agents' fees (don't think there was compensation paid to other clubs to engage manager/coach, though  I might be wrong there)  £3.308m       Total £29.955m. I think you may have missed the middle element from your analysis. Looking back through your post and seeing everything set out, I'd admit it does seem a bit of a mess. Don't want to single a manager out, but just to add a rider to what you said about the young players Mac signed, they may not have cost much in fees, but the wages add up. None of them made it (bit unfair on Mitchell,by me) and they took up places in the Academy that could have gone to others.

Just realized I've missed out that beefy midfielder, whose name eludes me, Giles Barnes, 2 Clough era CBs, and that fair haired defender from years ago that's on the tip of my tongue (decent player).

Sorry ramblur got to rob you of one of the above , Malcolm Christie was not one of our products but more a lower division find 

2 hours ago, rynny said:

Addison for midfielder. Could be Mark O'Brien for one of the cbs. 

Nyatanga was the other one I thought of, but NC actually sold him, so I got wrong manager.

1 hour ago, archied said:

Sorry ramblur got to rob you of one of the above , Malcolm Christie was not one of our products but more a lower division find 

Yeah, did think of that but somehow still put him in. Same applies to Big Rog (Worcester City?)

2 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

We bought Mickey Lewis from West Brom.

Spot on, I was wrong. Still didn't do too badly overall with a list straight off the top of my head.

We also let that Derby Boys captain (CH ) whose name eludes me ,though I seem to remember he didn't want to sign for us for some reason (Toddy/RoyMac ? ) Think he signed for Everton, at least I know he played for them at some stage. Another one on the tip of my tongue.

Trying to think of another one that NC got (not Vernam), Think it was from non league, but got to the stage where I'm probably imagining things. Seems this is a lot more interesting than FFP ,lol.

Higgins was the Derby Boys guy.

That other Clough one's bugging me. I'm thinking midfielder from N East non league for some reason.

2 hours ago, ramblur said:
4 hours ago, Shipley Ram said:

We bought Mickey Lewis from West Brom.

Spot on, I was wrong. Still didn't do too badly overall with a list straight off the top of my head.

You did well. You could examine this list and see what trainees names jump out, you might also find some nightmares hiding there. http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/derby-county/10/

19 minutes ago, Shipley Ram said:

You did well. You could examine this list and see what trainees names jump out, you might also find some nightmares hiding there. http://www.worldfootball.net/teams/derby-county/10/

You just wanted me to input them all, and I rose to the bait:D

So sorry ,TomH , how on earth did I manage to miss such class? Sorted that Clough midfielder, as twas Ben Pringle. Came from Ilkeston, which isn't far from the NE. Tbf he was born there,so that's where I got it from.

Now for the list, though some of these were bought in,some did better (or half better) elsewhere and some weren't much good :-

Adam Bolder,Jeff king, Steve Cherry, Ian Evatt, Alan Cork, Martin Taylor ,John Robson , Ben Pringle, Tom H, Richard Jackson , Barry Butlin , Steve Elliot, Andy Garner, Kevin Francis, Phil Gee, Jason Beardsley, Jonathan Hunt, Lee Camp, Lee Grant, Izale McLeod, Matt Carbon, Martin Chalk, Rob Kozluk, Tony Macken (seem to remember he came over with Dave Langan) , Pablo Mills,Adam Murray, Lee Holmes, Don O'Riordan, Paul Williams, David Penney, John Sims ,Gary Twigg . May have missed a few more, as I only had a quick glance.

How the hell did I manage to forget Steve Bloomer?

15 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Have a coffee and a nap then it will come to you ?

Good old Shippers pointed me in the right direction. Pity,as I would have got there. Was starting to picture him playing? against Crawley.

19 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Have a coffee and a nap then it will come to you ?

No, I'm on a roll - taking the p here and there and running for cover.

1 hour ago, ramblur said:

Higgins was the Derby Boys guy.

That other Clough one's bugging me. I'm thinking midfielder from N East non league for some reason.

Somehow Russell Osman escaped.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Somehow Russell Osman escaped.

Last seen in Prisoner Cell Block H , along with one of our members :lol:

Archived