A bit of mild weather on the way...

Parsnip

3 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Wouldn’t you say this is pretty much the case, looking at the history of slavery, the empire, the colonies? The US is still ******* over brown people’s countries for their resources to this day. 

Why not use the full quote? You're being selective by removing the most juicy parts. 

I don't recall taking part in her research of ALL white people, how does she know my thoughts and if I acknowledge the history?

"Your entire existence is drenched in racism. From micro-aggressions to terrorism, you guys built the blueprint for this ****."

My existence because I'm white so automatically a terrorist now as well?

DXGzpywXcAEcxtm.jpg

Oh really? Funny thing is sleeping (sweeping) statements which I believe is a typo is exactly what she's good at. 

If Labour feel they need advice from this woman then great, wouldn't give her the time of day to be honest and that's nothing to do with her skin colour either. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, David said:

how does she know my thoughts and if I acknowledge the history?

Did you read the interview?

“To understand my point, you have to take yourself out of the conversation – it’s not about you – and truly think about society, structurally, economically, as a whole.”

“Racism isn’t just calling someone something, it’s a whole system. If you think we live in an equal society, you’re living in a daydream. You need to recognise that there is such a thing as white privilege and you can be homeless and still have white privilege, because you can still have a better chance of getting out of homelessness than a person of colour in the same position.”

“Isn’t the problem that the language is outmoded? It’s hard to get people on board when “racist” is a loaded catch-all umbrella to describe everything from unconscious biases in the workplace to US neo-Nazis.”

“We do have the language,” she says, “but it needs to be out there: unlearning, microaggressions, being complicit, unconscious bias, privilege – these need to be taught, we need to address why syllabuses only teach white history, we need to speak about slavery and the brutality of colonialism.”

2 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

“To understand my point, you have to take yourself out of the conversation – it’s not about you – and truly think about society, structurally, economically, as a whole.”

"Yes ALL white people."

You say I should remove myself from the conversation yet she's quite clear in that she is talking about ALL white people. Her words, not mine. ALL white people. I'm white. 

“Racism isn’t just calling someone something, it’s a whole system. If you think we live in an equal society, you’re living in a daydream. You need to recognise that there is such a thing as white privilege and you can be homeless and still have white privilege, because you can still have a better chance of getting out of homelessness than a person of colour in the same position.”

Show me where I have said we live in an equal society?

“Isn’t the problem that the language is outmoded? It’s hard to get people on board when “racist” is a loaded catch-all umbrella to describe everything from unconscious biases in the workplace to US neo-Nazis.”

To me, racism is discriminating people based on their race and that works both ways with white and BAME. One could argue that calling all white people terrorists is racist, or charging white people more for tickets is racist.

“We do have the language,” she says, “but it needs to be out there: unlearning, microaggressions, being complicit, unconscious bias, privilege – these need to be taught, we need to address why syllabuses only teach white history, we need to speak about slavery and the brutality of colonialism.”

I wouldn't argue against this. Problem is, this is lost with the other drivel she has spouted.

15 minutes ago, David said:

You say I should remove myself from the conversation yet she's quite clear in that she is talking about ALL white people. 

I think you’ve missed the point. The quote about removing yourself from the conversation is from her interview, where she’s trying to explain the difference between personal prejudice and systemic bias. Not ALL white people are personally prejudiced, but ALL white people benefit from the historical structures of racism. 

Anyway, if she’s getting people to talk about it on Derby County threads about the weather, then she’s probably doing a good job. 

21 minutes ago, David said:

To me, racism is discriminating people based on their race

Maybe, rather than insisting on defining what racism means to us as white people, we should actually be listening to what black people have to say about it. Again, from the interview:

“the dictionary definition of racism was written a very long time ago and not by a person of colour. It doesn’t allow us to have a conversation about modern-day racism. If you’re not aware of it, then make yourself aware of it. Racism isn’t just calling someone something, it’s a whole system.”

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I think you’ve missed the point. The quote about removing yourself from the conversation is from her interview, where she’s trying to explain the difference between personal prejudice and systemic bias. Not ALL white people are personally prejudiced, but ALL white people benefit from the historical structures of racism. 

Anyway, if she’s getting people to talk about it on Derby County threads about the weather, then she’s probably doing a good job. 

How many others missed her point? Looking at social media I'm not the only one, these are people with votes come the next election and that's the kicker here, Labour are bagging more own goals than Lewis Dunk. 

Politics is all about talking a good game, making the voters believe your ********, not exactly surrounding themselves with great public speakers....or thinkers for that matter.

Looks like we're heading for another Man City v Arsenal cup final again which will be a disaster for the NHS, part of the reason my vote went to Labour last time, which may have been misguided as we'd probably end up with a priority system based on skin colour the way things are going.

Anyhow, snows here, I'm off to play before I get called a righty or something worse for daring to criticise Labour. :) 

15 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Maybe, rather than insisting on defining what racism means to us as white people, we should actually be listening to what black people have to say about it. Again, from the interview:

“the dictionary definition of racism was written a very long time ago and not by a person of colour. It doesn’t allow us to have a conversation about modern-day racism. If you’re not aware of it, then make yourself aware of it. Racism isn’t just calling someone something, it’s a whole system.”

Just off to check my family tree, see how far back I need to go and apologise for, I will be utterly ashamed if I am closely linked to anyone involved in composing that racist dictionary. 

6 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Having squandered many pound notes on homeless people throughout the years and just last Saturday whilst my mighty rams were struggling to struggle against a struggling side I was distributing my all conquering jam filled wagon wheels (don't laugh) and sarnies throughout the squalid shithole of my own city, I didn't manage to notice any of those brown people huddled together like penguins, in fact I can safely say with hand over my collestral laden heart that 85% were either ex-forces or drug addicted that drove them to this action but alas no Syrian refugees, could they be hiding in wastelands somewhere?

2 hours ago, LesterRam said:

Having squandered many pound notes on homeless people throughout the years and just last Saturday whilst my mighty rams were struggling to struggle against a struggling side I was distributing my all conquering jam filled wagon wheels (don't laugh) and sarnies throughout the squalid shithole of my own city, I didn't manage to notice any of those brown people huddled together like penguins, in fact I can safely say with hand over my collestral laden heart that 85% were either ex-forces or drug addicted that drove them to this action but alas no Syrian refugees, could they be hiding in wastelands somewhere?

Don't give money directly to homeless people, so the adverts round our way go, they'll only spend it on smack or cider.

Frankly, in this weather, I don't give a toss what they spend it on, as long as it gets them through the night.

Poor buggers. 

Archived