A bit of mild weather on the way...

Parsnip

My amateur meteorologist mate has been banging on about this exciting drift of cold weather for a couple of weeks now. She reckons it's going to be like greenland this week - best snow since the 80's. 

Just thought I'd warn you all to get plenty of logs in.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it when it snows it's the only time my garden looks like everyone else's. 

Seriously though I heard one forcast that said we could have blizzards by the end of the week. I think the last time we had it really bad was back in the 80's. Fortunately I can work from home. Also the Fulham game may be in doubt if the blizzards do come.

In 1944, in the run up to D-Day, the high command and were, naturally. concerned about the weather. So they asked the chaps of the RAF what they thought. A Wing Commander. armed with only a magnificent mustache and a sharp pencil, told them to expect a suitable window in the weather around the 4th to the 6th of June. He was spot on.

Fast forward seventy odd years, and we have an army of meteorologists equipped with orbiting satellites, numerous data gathering stations and super-computers running unbelievably sophisticated software and what happens? "EEK!" they think, "Looks like it might be a bit nippy next week, better tell everyone to stay inside and batten down the hatches." Followed by..................Nowt.         

Sack the lot of 'em and we'll go back to using pine cones and seaweed.                         

Pathetic media hype.if we believed the Daily Express, there'll be woolly mammoths roaming the icefields by the end of the week! Train companies cancelling just in case. TV reporters being sent to places where there is supposed to be snowfall only to find a slightly overdressed bloke shuffling about in about a cm of snow, hastily shovelled in by his embarrassed camera crew. Suzanne Kirkwood now showing for 58 minutes out of every hour on BBC Breakfast.

My God! Haven't we come on since I used to have to clear a foot of snow from in front of my old garage and put ashes down to get it up the bank. No!!!

PS if some southern softy referee decides to postpone the Fulham match or some health and safety council bloke decides we cannot be trusted to walk through a sharp frost to the game, will someone 1) please tell me before 9am on Saturday and 2) send me the contact details of these two and I'll put a bat up their respective night dresses!

Archived