The FA adopt the Rooney Rule for all future appointments

R@M

Not sure we're in the manifesto it states how it will be all funded? More importantly for me we're all this housing, amenities & infrastructure is to be built. Just goes on about shortages etc.

So I repeat the question that I originally asked....& it's to much like a politician to avoid the answer lol, so just be honest...what do you as an individual think labour will do to achieve the above.

On education I probably didn't explain my point on "is what we are teaching in schools the right kind of education to make the world a better place" properly. 

If it's not being a pain could you list what for you would be the top 8 most important subjects or things taught in schools today....what would they be?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Lambchop said:

You either see the inherent justice of being anti racist or you don’t. 

Ultimately it’s a moral choice, not a statistical one. 

So now everyone that doesn’t agree is automatically racist. Classic line from apologisers and enablers. 

Why is it not possible to agree that there are areas of society in which racism exists, as backed up by personal experiences,  and with statistical analysis and evidence. But my main point to this thread is that there is no evidence to suggest BAME coaches are not getting a fair go en mass. Before implementing this, maybe the FA should have made it mandatory for all such applications in football to be registered with them, so the data could be gathered and then acted upon. 

There is a list of UEFA pro license gainers up to about 2007, with most of the current uk based  managers on it. Out of 100 or so I could only find about 5 black qualified coaches. 

49 minutes ago, R@M said:

Classic line from apologisers and enablers

Love a bit of enabling, me. 

To speak of racism in some areas but not others is, again, to see it as an individual rather than a systemic problem. I keep making this point and nobody seems to get it, which helpfully suggests it’s either bobbar or totally true. 

From personal experience, growing up in the 60s and 70s, everybody I knew was racist, my family, friends, everyone at school. We weren’t unpleasant about it, that’s just how the world was. It takes a conscious effort to be aware of, and avoid acting on, a whole set of cultural assumptions you just grow up with. 

1 hour ago, sheeponacid said:

Not sure we're in the manifesto it states how it will be all funded? More importantly for me we're all this housing, amenities & infrastructure is to be built. Just goes on about shortages etc.

So I repeat the question that I originally asked....& it's to much like a politician to avoid the answer lol, so just be honest...what do you as an individual think labour will do to achieve the above.

On education I probably didn't explain my point on "is what we are teaching in schools the right kind of education to make the world a better place" properly. 

If it's not being a pain could you list what for you would be the top 8 most important subjects or things taught in schools today....what would they be?

The Tories have already got a plan to deal with the shortfall in housing and the under-funding of the NHS.

All they need to do is to reduce the funding still further, then all us oldies will die off really quickly. Bonus - it'll save a fortune on pensions and bus passes.

1 hour ago, Lambchop said:

Love a bit of enabling, me. 

To speak of racism in some areas but not others is, again, to see it as an individual rather than a systemic problem. I keep making this point and nobody seems to get it, which helpfully suggests it’s either bobbar or totally true. 

Or maybe a lot of us get it but completely disagree with what you are saying? 

8 hours ago, sheeponacid said:

what do you as an individual think labour will do to achieve the above.

Things like building social housing will pay for themselves over the terms of a couple of parliaments.  The money comes from a national investment bank, which is a way to use quantitative easing to invest in infrastructure instead of corporate giveaways. You then save the public money you were paying into the pockets of private landlords through housing benefit and generate government income through rent and the increasing equity of the housing stock. Plus more people then have an affordable place to live. A similar process applies to renationalisation of utilities and essential services. Privatising these has proved extremely wasteful, with ***** like Branson leeching millions out of the public purse. Tax avoidance; if the Duke of Westminster alone paid his inheritance tax it would fund the NHS for years. The information is out there if you care to look it up. 

8 hours ago, sheeponacid said:

Beyond literacy and numeracy the most important skill is learning to learn for yourself. As I suggested before, learning to think independently, and question and evaluate information. This can be done via any subject matter, if taught with that intent. There’s a lot of evidence that the arts and creativity are vital for brain development and a well rounded outlook, but these have been cut to almost nothing. Science, which should be developing left brain thinking, has become largely content driven, particularly the godawful BTec courses. Above all, good manners, self respect and respect for others. 

2 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Given that the average age of the Tory membership is about 74, they may well be shooting themselves in the foot there. 

Yes, I'm looking at it positively too.

On 1/13/2018 at 14:21, Lambchop said:

One of the most destructive things is the way the white working class have been manipulated into blaming immigrants for their problems, 

Yep -but where's your proof?

On 1/13/2018 at 15:36, Norman said:

And I agree. But immigration to the levels they have been has meant the quality of life of all working class people has become worse

Whomp! There it is!

4 hours ago, Lambchop said:

It’s divide and rule and another example of thinking on an individual rather than a systemic level. 

Is it really anything to do with what the newspapers tell us though? 

I very rarely read a newspaper so I certainly dont take my views from there.

My views are based on what I see with my own eyes.

Unable to get a doctors appointment when I need one.

Class sizes at my children's schools going up and up.

Now I don't place all of the blame for these situations at the door of immigration but I fail to see how uncontrolled immigration can help get the situation back under control?

15 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Now I don't place all of the blame for these situations at the door of immigration but I fail to see how uncontrolled immigration can help get the situation back under control?

No one has actually advocated for ‘uncontrolled’ immigration, as far as I’m aware  

Do you not think immigration has been made the headline issue though, rather than austerity and the kleptocracy we live under, which are actually responsible for the conditions you describe?

3 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

No one has actually advocated for ‘uncontrolled’ immigration, as far as I’m aware  

Do you not think immigration has been made the headline issue though, rather than austerity and the kleptocracy we live under, which are actually responsible for the conditions you describe?

How can we have freedom of movement but not uncontrolled immigration?

Anyone who voted Remain (separate issue I know) was voting for continued uncontrolled immigration.

Austerity and the kleptocracy we live under are hugely responsible for the conditions I describe but not the only factors, in my opinion of course.

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Anyone who voted Remain (separate issue I know) was voting for continued uncontrolled immigration

I voted leave and am not in favour of freedom of movement. I just think it’s completely false to blame the immigrants themselves.

I do agree that the impact has been disproportionate in certain areas, and those concerns have never been adequately addressed. 

18 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How can we have freedom of movement but not uncontrolled immigration?

Anyone who voted Remain (separate issue I know) was voting for continued uncontrolled immigration.

Austerity and the kleptocracy we live under are hugely responsible for the conditions I describe but not the only factors, in my opinion of course.

Seems to have veered wildly off topic from the Rooney Rule, but I think the term "uncontrolled immigration" is emotive and at the same time pretty meaningless. Immigration is controlled in various ways, but the fact that people still prefer to use that term when expressing their discontent with certain things says it all really. They usually mean "more tightly controlled than it is currently"

I have no issue with immigration. I have an issue with the lack of investment to match the population growth (through all methods - not just immigration). I suspect when people think about it they have the same view - but have been conditioned to think "uncontrolled immigration" is the problem. Not so.

If you think that uncontrolled immigration is the really the problem, then would you also support a single-child limit on domestic families where neither parent is in fulltime employment?

13 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I voted leave and am not in favour of freedom of movement. I just think it’s completely false to blame the immigrants themselves.

I do agree that the impact has been disproportionate in certain areas, and those concerns have never been adequately addressed. 

I certainly don't blame the immigrants for wanting to better their lives, I blame the people who have let it reach this stage when it has been so obvious for so long that what was happening was unsustainable. 

What I would expect from the immigrants, once afforded the opportunity to better themselves is for them to try and make a valuable contribution to the society they are entering, making sure all dues are paid and maybe trying to integrate. I'm afraid in too many instances I see exactly the opposite of this.

Just now, Lambchop said:

Just like all British people do!

Precisley my point. We get told off for collectivising, but some people appear to be holding immigrants to different standards than individual British nationals who also contribute little, commit crime, put burden on public services etc.

Archived