Barnsley Takeover

CaverRam

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, it'll be interesting to see how Brad Pitt gets on in South Yorkshire too.

The 2 'moneyball' experiments I've seen in football were Liverpool (Stewart Downing 'most crosses' +  Andy Carroll 'most crosses converted') in the year before they signed seemed like an obvious numbers based strategy...but failed dismally.

The other being Matthew Benham's clubs (he of online gaming megawealth) Brentford and Midtjylland. Interesting but slightly dated story here https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/05/15/soccer-analytics-brentford-midtjylland-matthew-benham but it seems to work for them..Midtjylland even beating Man Utd.

3 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Barnsley are a perfect sized club to try it with.

Always skeptical re. football though as it is baseball is much more about what an individual does in isolation. In football, your stats can be massively skewed by who you play alongside.  A much more complex analysis IMO.

Statistically Shackell has an 80% passing accuracy and WhoScored has his down as a calculated strength! 

I don’t think you’ll find a Derby fan that agrees!

Unless they are being taken over by some filthy rich people who can put more money into the club, they cannot be bigger. 
Barnsley have through their history been between Championship and League 2, except for that 1 season in premiership. I have no belief that Barnsley can ever establish them selves in the top of Championship and be a favorite to promote to Premier League. They are just a regular side.

On 20/12/2017 at 21:50, Hermanshire said:

Unless they are being taken over by some filthy rich people who can put more money into the club, they cannot be bigger. 
Barnsley have through their history been between Championship and League 2, except for that 1 season in premiership. I have no belief that Barnsley can ever establish them selves in the top of Championship and be a favorite to promote to Premier League. They are just a regular side.

Tell that to fans of Burnley, Brighton, Stoke, Huddersfield, Swansea, Bournemouth, Watford, Leicester etc...

Archived