On course for 80+ points

Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

The original question is still valid.

Why play two holding midfielders, and a single striker.

In fairness do we have much choice in that regard without the team being really lopsided ? We've kinda backed ourselves into a corner in that regard by getting rid of every midfielder who isn't a holding midfielder. 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Overly simplistic to extrapolate where we are now to our final league position. I've not seen a lot of evidence performance wise to justify that hypothesis. Quick question - what are we actually transitioning to?

Inglorious I'm not sure what we are transitioning to but maybe we need to transmogrify completely who knows what may transmute But maybe if we transverse from either wing something may transpire failing that it may require a transfer or two

53 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Because its seen us to a record of 2 defeats in 12 !

If we keep that up for the remainder of the season we will definitely make the play offs

The end justifies the means!

And both of those defeats were at home in games were our attack was outnumbered by a 5 or 6 man defence, etc etc see previous posts

8 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Overly simplistic to extrapolate where we are now to our final league position. I've not seen a lot of evidence performance wise to justify that hypothesis. Quick question - what are we actually transitioning to?

8 hours ago, Paul71 said:

True, but you could argue considering our start to the season that we are actually on for more points than our current position demonstrates.

8 hours ago, Inglorius said:

It's like saying you can draw a straight line using 2 plotted points you can't; you need at least 3 points to verify that one or both of the first 2 data points weren't spurious. 

I agree you couldn't extrapolate our final points total from the first two matches of the season, but we've now played 20 league games so the graph we draw now has 20 points on it, a few more than the "at least 3" you ask for.

Ever the optimist I get the feeling that this squad which has seen some inconsistency, does at least have some guts and character. They seem more together than previously. I also think the January window might see us cross some T's and dot I's 

happy clappy I may be but even I think autos are only an outside bet. All the same I think we will avoid slumps, get better and more fluid as a unit. I see us as honest top 6 but dreaming of a late run. Work in progress with a serious shot next season. 

The squad Rowett has assembled is one designed to be purely functional, purely focused on results. It seems clear to me performance is irrelevant- it's solely down to how many points we have at the end of a game/the season.

When you have built a squad like that, you need to get 80+, you need to be in the playoffs because otherwise there are no other positives. 

I suspect we'll probably do it. Rowett is good at what he does. Will I enjoy it? No. I had the opportunity of a free ticket yesterday but didn't even consider taking it. This season has given me no excitement, no interest, no entertainment. 

5 hours ago, brady1993 said:

In fairness do we have much choice in that regard without the team being really lopsided ? We've kinda backed ourselves into a corner in that regard by getting rid of every midfielder who isn't a holding midfielder. 

You're right that our options are very limited.

but we could play an extra striker- nugent and martin with lawrence, vydra, and weimann

or an extra attacking midfielder

martin or nugent + 4 of 5 : lawrence, johnson vydra, russell, weimann

i was impressed with the way hoffenheim played, with one 'libero' kevin vogt, and four attacking midfielders piling on to our back four. We could do that with huddlestone or thorne plus four of five as noted above.

51 minutes ago, ITSD said:

The squad Rowett has assembled is one designed to be purely functional, purely focused on results. It seems clear to me performance is irrelevant- it's solely down to how many points we have at the end of a game/the season.

When you have built a squad like that, you need to get 80+, you need to be in the playoffs because otherwise there are no other positives. 

I suspect we'll probably do it. Rowett is good at what he does. Will I enjoy it? No. I had the opportunity of a free ticket yesterday but didn't even consider taking it. This season has given me no excitement, no interest, no entertainment. 

Did you notice the starting eleven yesterday only two Rowetts signings 

5 hours ago, RamNut said:

And both of those defeats were at home in games were our attack was outnumbered by a 5 or 6 man defence, etc etc see previous posts

Put it in perspective - unless you are Man City you don’t win every game 

Right now the position in the top 6 & 2 defeats in 12 justifies the approach

There were enough chances in both games to have won if we had taken them

It was nothing to do with the formation it was failure to take those chances we did have 

6 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Did you notice the starting eleven yesterday only two Rowetts signings 

So? Look at the players he's let go, look at the players he hasn't been using, look at the type of player we've been linked with under his management.

8 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

Right now the position in the top 6 & 2 defeats in 12 justifies the approach

There were enough chances in both games to have won if we had taken them

It was nothing to do with the formation it was failure to take those chances we did have 

V burton, 65% of our 'chances' were shots from outside the box, 20% were from the very edge of the box

only 3 efforts were within 12 yards range (including the goal and the blocked shot that lead to the goal on 80 minutes) 

for the rest of the game we only had 1 effort on goal from within 12 yards

which indicates that we were not really breaking them down very effectively

where are all the 'missed' chances?

similarly v ipswich we only had three efforts from within 12 yards range; a wild effort from curtis davies on 35 mins from a corner which nearly went out for a throw in apparently and then nothing until a blocked shot from martin on 65 mins and Ledley blazing over on 87 minutes.

( p.s.. Man city do win every game - currently 13 in a row :lol: )

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

V burton, 65% of our 'chances' were shots from outside the box, 20% were from the very edge of the box

only 3 efforts were within 12 yards range (including the goal and the blocked shot that lead to the goal on 80 minutes) 

similarly v ipswich we only had three efforts from within 12 yards range; a wild effort from curtis davies on 35 mins from a corner which nearly went out for a throw in apparently and then nothing until a blocked shot from martin on 65 mins and Ledley blazing over on 87 minutes.

( p.s.. Man city do win every game - currently 13 in a row :lol: )

If you read what I said in my post you wouldn’t look so foolish on your final line!! 

UNLESS you are Man City you don’t win every game :lol::lol::lol:

9 hours ago, Cool As Custard said:

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

V burton, 

The Question still stands

Archived