Golden Oldies or The end of the line !

loweman2

Are we really building for the future ? Is age holding us back ? 

Are we the Championship equivalent of Dads army ?

eight of the normal starting 11 30 or over.

scot Carson 32

Bradley Johnson 30

David Nugent 32

Chris Baird 35

Richard Keough 31

tom Huddlestone 30

joe Ledley 30

Curtis Davies 32

tonight some of them looked like the should be tucked up in bed with a hot water bottle and a cup of cocoa ! 

Side ways and backwards 

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Are we really building for the future ?

I'd say we are. This is just v1 of Rowett's team. The team needed gutting and a stronger mentality was required to help address years of 'failure'. You can see the attitude shift in the team - we look resilient and organised. That comes from the old heads, in my opinion. Now we have that shift in culture Rowett can build on it for the future. The next couple of windows will see some younger heads come in to eventually replace the older players. I'm not worried.

For me this really isn’t an issue, the players listed are all worthy of their places for the following reasons  

1/ Ledley has been a revelation since his arrival. 

2/ Carson has been crucial in most of our wins. 

3/ Davies/Keogh partnership is as good as I’ve seen at PP in many a season

4/ Nugent has a work rate that many players should look to take as an example

5/ Tom Huddlestone is being played too deep IMO and when he gets space further forward has shown his worth

6/ Bradley is a great team player and can score goals from midfield. 

Last but not least 

7/ Baird is keeping Wisdom out the side currently because he is a cool calm influence on those around him and allows Wiemman to get forward. 

17 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

I don't think any of that list are holding us back. Some of our best players there.

exactly my point @Parsnip, some of our best players are old, or old by footballing standards, and the fact that they form 75% of our starting eleven would appear to be a bit top heavy in the age department, may be why we are not so mobile on the pitch ? now that would be fine if any of them were capable of pinging a long pass to the feet but they are not, even huddlestone is showing that he is not what he was, and we certainly dont have a Dave mackay figure at the back who can just stroll around and not break a sweat, i can only see age becoming more and more a factor as the season wears on.

Nugent i believe is our best footballer, he is intelligent and is always looking for space or making a run but even he can not keep it up for 90 minutes, our passing is not accurate enough to play the stationary game so as the players tire we are finding it being played more and more between the back four and carson, the midfield goes missing as its kanackered!

we have lost the youth and energy of ince and hughes and the younger player that are in the starting eleven are not stepping up, Forsyth is really struggling every game now, getting beaten time after time and being caught out of position, Tom Lawrence was full of energy but he is not now making the cross field runs he was initially, all he is interested in is taking the corners and free kicks most of which never find a team mate and as for Johnny Russell well he just does his thing, not sure what it is though.

We need to blood a few more of the youngsters get them in to do a bit of running for those tired old legs ! and we need to do it now ready for the annual post christmas collapse of heart and passion on the pitch.

55 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

youth and energy of ince and hughes

I'm assuming the idea is that we've brought in experienced quality players to get us out of the league and then invest in youth and energy and future. We are a Championship team and young players like Hughes are just too expensive. No club in their right minds would let a player like Hughes leave for anything less than £30m - that would be stupid!. And until we achieve premiership status we can't afford this quality/age of player - so for now Ledley/Hudds provide a good inexpensive solution. 

Hopefully the plan will work - i'm still confident :)

4 hours ago, Parsnip said:

No club in their right minds would let a player like Hughes leave for anything less than £30m - that would be stupid!.

:huh:

6 hours ago, loweman2 said:

exactly my point @Parsnip, some of our best players are old, or old by footballing standards, and the fact that they form 75% of our starting eleven would appear to be a bit top heavy in the age department, may be why we are not so mobile on the pitch ? now that would be fine if any of them were capable of pinging a long pass to the feet but they are not, even huddlestone is showing that he is not what he was, and we certainly dont have a Dave mackay figure at the back who can just stroll around and not break a sweat, i can only see age becoming more and more a factor as the season wears on.

Nugent i believe is our best footballer, he is intelligent and is always looking for space or making a run but even he can not keep it up for 90 minutes, our passing is not accurate enough to play the stationary game so as the players tire we are finding it being played more and more between the back four and carson, the midfield goes missing as its kanackered!

we have lost the youth and energy of ince and hughes and the younger player that are in the starting eleven are not stepping up, Forsyth is really struggling every game now, getting beaten time after time and being caught out of position, Tom Lawrence was full of energy but he is not now making the cross field runs he was initially, all he is interested in is taking the corners and free kicks most of which never find a team mate and as for Johnny Russell well he just does his thing, not sure what it is though.

We need to blood a few more of the youngsters get them in to do a bit of running for those tired old legs ! and we need to do it now ready for the annual post christmas collapse of heart and passion on the pitch.

32 for a keeper isn't old, 30-35 is a keepers prime.  28-32 for centre halves.  Similarly for central midfielders, especially holding ones.   Bar Baird, all the youthful exuberance/pace, is in forward positions where we want it.  Although I would prefer a Huddlestone type that's a few yards quicker, but you can't blame Tom for losing pace, cus he never had any at 18...

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It’s fine to have these mentally tough oldies as long as he starts seriously integrating youth rather than just talking the talk and sticking them on benches for random games. More will be revealed Jan when we see who leaves

And we wonder who you're referring to...

13 minutes ago, curtains said:

Done his hamstring again last night. 

Staying fit is a problem for Will Hughes 

Anyone can do a hamstring. Even bradley johnson.

Archived