U23’s v Spurs, Friday 7pm - Free Entry

Day

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

I'd look at giving Luke Thomas a crack at the 1st team.

Good lad isn't he? Comfortable on the ball, beats people and with end product too.

Can't be a million miles away. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyed it tonight. Long spells on the back foot but only gave up one or two clear cut chances, where we had 5 or 6. 

Got a feeling Wassall might have a chance, looked comfortable alongside Shacks. Thomas impressive. Organised and quick to break.

6 hours ago, David said:

He should enjoy the atmosphere of only one stand open, make him feel right at home!

He did enjoy it. Attendance at citeh isn't that bad! 

I was pleased with the performance. As others have said, seems like a different style to the first team. Both sides playing tippy-tappy, walk it into the net. 

Not much aggression.good spirit from both sides. Derby shaded it. Luke Thomas did look the biggest threat. Liked him. Had a couple of Jonny Russell moments but overall deserved his goal albeit a deflection and was the biggest threat all game. Some wardrobe moments from our No9. Quite liked him. Shackell solid but sat very deep. 

Spurs controlled last 15. 

Well done Mel for putting this on particular in half term. Good evening out. 

10 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Wonder what happened with Thorne? Derby Telegraph and OB said there was a chance he'd be involved tonight.

Must be travelling tomorrow instead.

Having been involved for the last two games i will be disappointed if hes not on the bench today.

Only watched the last 15 minutes or so but was quite impresed with what I saw.  Players seemed confident on the ball and we looked more positive and forward thinking than the first team.  Enjoyed it.  Must remember to remember when they are playing again.  

So difficult to know when thes players are ready for the first team  .

We have some decent players though  

Shackell head and shoulders above the rest and plays well with Ethan Wassall who is developing well  . Luke Thomas lively and scored then got injured  . Lowe looked nervous .

Enjoyable game and good win  

I enjoyed last night. There were around 400 people there. 

I thought we were much the better team in the first 30 minutes and should have been at least 2 up. but Spurs started to get on top and we sat back and tried to catch them on the break. We were really up against it in the last 15 minutes but they only really troubled us once. 

Thomas was our main threat again and Wassall was solid at CB with Shackell. A thought about Shackell. His personal reputation isn't too high with fans but he is really guiding the young players through games and is 100% committed in challenges.

I was really impressed with Shackell's attitude last night. It can't be easy being cast to the U23s with no route back to the first team, but he was their motivating them and organising them. A real leader on the pitch and I think the likes of Wassall et al will learn a lot from him.

Perhaps a career in coaching is on the horizon for him?

Thought Thomas was the standout by far - always willing to commit players and he deserved his goal. I noticed that he'd been signalling for a substitution for about 15 minutes before it actually happened so I've no idea what the delay was about. Makes no sense to keep an injured player on the pitch.

Hanson and Lowe looked off the pace, perhaps still recovering from their injuries.

Thought Guy, Babos and Wassall were the other standouts for us. 

Archived