Strong squad

RiddingsRam

Not physically , but in numbers and strength in depth is this the strongest squad we've had in a long time. I know people will refer to some of the summer sales and back to the infamous 13/14 season. But going through the squad if you think 4 2 3 1 there's strong cover/competition in every position. I meant when did we have 4 top class centre forwards at this level in our squad. I just think if deployed right with the right mentality were on the right path. 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

But going through the squad if you think 4 2 3 1 there's strong cover/competition in every position.

I have to strongly disagree, here.

We lack depth behind the main striker, in all three of the positions. Lawrence will soon be a starter and will hopefully fulfil his potential. Vydra looks to have the 10 position locked down but still has a lot to prove.

• Weimann lacks the dribbling ability to be anywhere near the touchline
  • Russell has been our of form for almost 2 years
  • Bennett is yet to make a meaningful contribution
  • We have no-one to challenge Vydra other than Lawrence, but he is needed out wide due to lack of depth

We're still sorely lacking and probably need a couple more transfer windows to sort it out.

15 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

I have to strongly disagree, here.

We lack depth behind the main striker, in all three of the positions. Lawrence will soon be a starter and will hopefully fulfil his potential. Vydra looks to have the 10 position locked down but still has a lot to prove.

• Weimann lacks the dribbling ability to be anywhere near the touchline
  • Russell has been our of form for almost 2 years
  • Bennett is yet to make a meaningful contribution
  • We have no-one to challenge Vydra other than Lawrence, but he is needed out wide due to lack of depth

We're still sorely lacking and probably need a couple more transfer windows to sort it out.

We have depth in that area now with the addition of Lawrence, we've just spent £7million on a player that was one of the best attacking players in the league last year in a poor team. Add to that the dynamism of Weimann and is Russell were yet to see the best if Anya then add Bennett who showed glimpses in pre season just because a few haven't shown form doesn't mean they can't recapture that form does it ? Also there's Johnson who played some of his best football on the left for Norwich. Regarding the number 10 role i think Martin Nugent or Vydra can all play there. I'm not saying it's perfection but it's no where near as bad as your making out.

It may take a little bit of time but we could easily see a team like this 

Martin

Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth 

lawrence Huddlestone Thorne Johnson 

Vydra Martin 

with nugent and winnal to swap with the top two plus wieman and Russell when needed 

I think that looks a good side and yes not super mobile but very good for the championship 

Just now, Sparkle said:

Martin

Vydra Martin 

with nugent and winnal to swap with the top two plus wieman and Russell when needed 

I think that looks a good side and yes not super mobile but very good for the championship 

Thorne ?

On 06/09/2017 at 10:25, RiddingsRam said:

Not physically , but in numbers and strength in depth is this the strongest squad we've had in a long time. I know people will refer to some of the summer sales and back to the infamous 13/14 season. But going through the squad if you think 4 2 3 1 there's strong cover/competition in every position. I meant when did we have 4 top class centre forwards at this level in our squad. I just think if deployed right with the right mentality were on the right path. 

I bet you wish you hadn't started this thread now

:D

37 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Martin

Vydra Martin 

I'll be honest, as much as I love the guy, this is asking an awful lot of Chris Martin. 

Just now, wixman1884 said:

I'll be honest, as much as I love the guy, this is asking an awful lot of Chris Martin. 

Really I think it would be decent, I also think any two of the four forwards we have would be decent ( not counting Bent as we can't play them all)

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Martin

Vydra Martin 

Johnson on the left... one of our least mobile players?

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Martin

Vydra Martin 

Geez! If this was walking football that is a great side.  

5 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Lack of mobility is our issue with the Kieftenbeld c*** up. The squad is better balanced than it was. I do think Guy not going out on loan is significant, he's obviously the next one in line to step up. Throw him in.

But any 11 with Bradley Johnson in it will not get top 6

Pretty sure we did with him in it once, and Norwich even went up with him in it?!

Archived