Is anyone else excited

Igorwasking

About the imminent return of gorgeous George?

Having him coming back to play alongside Tom is a defensive midfield dream. Vydra and Lawrence should be smacking their lips with anticipation of the service and protection they will get.

I will go as far as to say if we can keep our first team fit for this season - we will be challenging for the title (might regret saying that later though!)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

Having him coming back to play alongside Tom is a defensive midfield dream. Vydra and Lawrence should be smacking their lips with anticipation of the service and protection they will get.

I will go as far as to say if we can keep our first team fit for this season - we will be challenging for the title (might regret saying that later though!)

Looking forward to seeing him play tonight for the U23s

1 hour ago, ashram said:

Excited yes. But Johnson is going to take some shifting. It should be a good battle for that midfield spot?

He will be streets ahead of Johnson if he recaptured his form and fitness.

I would suggest that but for these injuries he would have been the best CM in the championship. 

There was a spell when he looked a genuine Prem player.

If he can get back to 90% of that form, he's in any discussion for the best midfield player in the division. I wonder if Hudds and he might be too alike, but then, their passing and ability to receive and look after the ball might just make them dominant as a pair, especially with a lot of running head of them.

I'm loving that he's playing tonight, but also terrified at the same time. #prayforgeorge

1 hour ago, Igorwasking said:

When I read the title I thought it was going to be about Sheff utd away ! And yes I am ! 

4 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Not sure why we'd play Thorne and Huddlestone together? For me if we could get Thorne back to his best he'd replace Tom. We don't need two sitting.

One exciting thing is that Thorne could perhaps play a bit more advanced and box-to-box. He's not a slow player despite his height.

I think people forget how much of an incisive passer George is. On his best days he consistently passed the ball through 2 lines of players taking 4-5 players out the game with his first time through balls. If he didn't have to defend as much (with Huddlestone beside him) and with our front line we should be decimating teams.

I always though we should play Thorne slightly higher up the pitch to let free.

4 minutes ago, Shang said:

I think people forget how much of an incisive passer George is. On his best days he consistently passed the ball through 2 lines of players taking 4-5 players out the game with his first time through balls. If he didn't have to defend as much (with Huddlestone beside him) and with our front line we should be decimating teams.

I always though we should play Thorne slightly higher up the pitch to let free.

I don't particularly have that much confidence in Huddlestone's defensive contribution. I think people let that slide though as he plays the odd nice pass now and again.

7 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

I don't particularly have that much confidence in Huddlestone's defensive contribution. I think people let that slide though as he plays the odd nice pass now and again.

I know what you mean but I'm not saying Thorne won't do anything defensive, but shouldn't need to think about it that much.

Huddlestones accurate over-the-top passes with Thornes through balls and we are laughing.

Don't f****** jinx it! Seriously tho who wouldn't get excited seeing his name on the team sheet, him and the hudd in the two would be immense! Both can spray balls around to the front four all day long, and Thorne will add the defensive steel that potentially were lacking at the moment. Just hope to God he can stay fit, imo he's the best player in the league when fully fit!

Geroge and Tom would be a dream. GT actually loves getting in the mix as well, look at the goal he scored against Cardiff at home a couple season back played a 1-2 on the edge of their area and smashed it bottom corner. 

Rowett said last night if all goes well he should be available for selection after the international break, it will be the loudest cheer at PP in years when his name is called. 

Archived