Trials/getting spotted

scarboroughwa

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, scarboroughwa said:

My oldest lad. He's not bad. Not bad at all. He's 10.

What's the best way to get him trialled, into a development squad, or something like that?

Club hold open trials at Moor Farm reasonably often, I think.

Is he part of a local club?

getting a kid into a large clubs academy isn't always the best idea.  The club will forbid any other activity for the lad.  He could go from playing lots of games to playing very little.

Like Srg says, we have the 'own the region' scheme set up. Look into that.

42 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

What's the best way to get him trialled, into a development squad, or something like that?

If he's good enough he will get spotted.. Summer tournaments are full of scouts.

I know a lad who was on Derbys books but not allowed to play with Friends etc. Scoring for fun in the teams he's played for. Now he's banging them in for Burton.

Like Boycie said now always the best idea. Especially when there young they just want to have fun and develop. 

I listened to the Forest academy scout at the YEL (Nottinghamshire Youth football) meeting last year. He said that Forest, Derby, Mansfield & Leicester all work the same, they are training nights that anyone can show up to, there are development squads training which are for players they want to look at to see if they they are good enough for the Academy, these are players that are scouted or noticed in the training that you show up. Then there is the academy. Like Boycie said but not only would club not allow you to play for another team but some leagues don't allow academy player play in the league.

My lad was scouted by Forest at 6 years old to join the development training, I turned it down, not because it was Forest but because I didn't want to put to much pressure and hope on my son. On my level two course the latest stat is that only 0.018% will make a pro footballer. If should be about fun at this age. Just eco on what other people say, playing for a team in league matches he will get noticed if he is good enough, as a coach myself I know who has good players, the word gets round and scouts will get to hear this too. club coaches can even recommend players to scouts.  

I had trials for Boston (back when they were in the league) and Lincoln when I was at school. Both times they were at school competitions, not sure if that's a regular occurrence or not, could just be my old teacher/manager used to play professional. Quite a few from our school got trials just from going to daily cup competitions.

Let him enjoy his football...... get the pleasure out if watching them play on a Sunday..... best thing ever. As others have said he will get spotted and theirs open trials etc, my younger lad was at one for Derby at Leesbrook last year. 

7 hours ago, Ashz09 said:

I know a lad who was on Derbys books but not allowed to play with Friends etc. Scoring for fun in the teams he's played for. Now he's banging them in for Burton.

Is anyone banging them in for Burton?

You could always get him to play keepy ups down the street and all the way to the shop every time you send him. Left right, knee, knee, left shoulder right shoulder, then vvery few yards if he boots it up in the air 40 yards and still brings it down stone dead he's onto a winner ;-)

Seriously though pal, where are you based? Contact the clubs at all levels within a commutable distance to training that YOU or mum can manage. Take him to every session he wants to go to, encourage him all the way and then kick back and enjoy retirement when he turns out be as good as you expected.

You could always call Burton Albion, I hear they've got a bit of a focus on youth at the moment.

10 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Contact the clubs at all levels within a commutable distance to training that YOU or mum can manage.

The official rule is that no player can sign for a academy that is more than a 1.5 hour commute to the training ground, however it doesn't stop a club giving jobs to the parents and move to the area like Sunderland did with a Nottinghamshire lad :blink:

Most clubs have open trials, Burton and Derby do. Forest Derby burton stoke etc all go to the local parks and tournaments and scout from there.

theres also some teams like FFA that have coaches from Leicester and burton working for them so a good option to get the wink into an academy.

Coerver also do coaching which is very good from what I've seen

there's also places like Derby County Community trust which you pay for and is meant to be a pathway to then move on to the development squad then shadow squad then academy as a signed player.

development and shadow squads can still play for their grass roots teams where their friends are.

Theres also county school teams. Sadly Derby don't have a team this year as there was no coach volunteers for it.

like anything though, sometimes it's not how good you are but who you know. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks gentlemen.

The boy got in for, I guess you could say, a second choice team although you wouldn't tell them that.

On the Thursday before the weekend of the BIG final trial over many weeks, the boy got whacked on the ankle playing football at school and couldn't perform at full speed (I informed the Director by email what had happened). There was no ice, elevation, compression, and rest that could fix it by Saturday. He also felt a bit ill, was off at half time chucking up and that was the end of that. Final 23. So near and yet so far.

That's why they say no playing at school or with your mates.

Still, very much in the mix for the big trials next year.

On 8/16/2017 at 13:39, scarboroughwa said:

My brother got picked up playing for Chasetown youth teams. The problem is when he was pushed in to 'the system' it killed the fun for him and in turn killed his enthusiasm. He just wanted to play football with his mates but his academy put the kibosh on that.

Archived