Start Of The Home Campaign

Bethh

So Saturday saw the lads start their home campaign against Wolves and I have to say I was quite disappointed with our performance. Where has the team gone which got us our wins both times the two clubs met last season?!

I don't know about everyone else but to me it seems that Gary needs to have a serious talk with the lads and sort out the formation and the team which is being used. When we did have the ball on Saturday, the team were all over the pitch so there was no one to pass the ball to whenever we were in possession and as Gary said in his interview, we need to stop looking to create the perfect goal which everyone will remember. Our starting line up does need to be changed and the formation too needs to be looked at because clearly a 4-3-3 is not working for us!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Bethh said:

So Saturday saw the lads start their home campaign against Wolves and I have to say I was quite disappointed with our performance. Where has the team gone which got us our wins both times the two clubs met last season?!

I don't know about everyone else but to me it seems that Gary needs to have a serious talk with the lads and sort out the formation and the team which is being used. When we did have the ball on Saturday, the team were all over the pitch so there was no one to pass the ball to whenever we were in possession and as Gary said in his interview, we need to stop looking to create the perfect goal which everyone will remember. Our starting line up does need to be changed and the formation too needs to be looked at because clearly a 4-3-3 is not working for us!

Hi Bethh. Welcome aboard. If I can glean one small piece of comfort from losing first game at home it's the year under Arthur we lost first game home to Oldham 0-1. Didn't lose another all season and were crowned Champions. Ahhhhhh. Tonight's rather important I'd say!! 

2 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Hi Bethh. Welcome aboard. If I can glean one small piece of comfort from losing first game at home it's the year under Arthur we lost first game home to Oldham 0-1. Didn't lose another all season and were crowned Champions. Ahhhhhh. Tonight's rather important I'd say!! 

I'd rather than we were losing matches now rather than the end of the season when it matters more because of the race for playoffs and promotion!

I suggested around February time that we should ditch 4-3-3 and pursue 4-2-3-1. We don't have the midfield runners to play 4-3-3 anymore which results in the forward player becoming too isolated. At least 4-2-3-1 gets the attacking midfielder/second striker closer to the main striker. 

In our current 4-3-3, our wingers aren't playing the role effectively. Weimann is acting as a false winger, attempting to provide the support to Martin by trying to get close to Martin by acting as another striker but is failing miserably. This leaves our left hand side incredibly unbalanced because Johnson hasn't got the energy to overlap Weimann when he comes inside and leaves Forsyth exposed 1 v1 on the counters during the turnovers.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I suggested around February time that we should ditch 4-3-3 and pursue 4-2-3-1. We don't have the midfield runners to play 4-3-3 anymore which results in the forward player becoming too isolated. At least 4-2-3-1 gets the attacking midfielder/second striker closer to the main striker. 

In our current 4-3-3, our wingers aren't playing the role effectively. Weimann is acting as a false winger, attempting to provide the support to Martin by trying to get close to Martin by acting as another striker but is failing miserably. This leaves our left hand side incredibly unbalanced because Johnson hasn't got the energy to overlap Weimann when he comes inside and leaves Forsyth exposed 1 v1 on the counters during the turnovers.

I noticed from where I was sat on Saturday that Andi and Chris were doing a lot of the work and trying to create us some chances but there's only so much they can do on their own!

10 minutes ago, McLovin said:

It's more to do with our midfield being static than our wingers not doing their roles effectively. We played those exact same wingers against Hull and they tore them apart because our midfield has so much energy. A combination of Butterfield, Johnson and Huddlestone is about as lively as a corpse so teams can just sit back. Hopefully we ditch it and go to something like a 4-2-3-1 where our midfielders can afford to be more static.

13 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

It's more to do with our midfield being static than our wingers not doing their roles effectively. We played those exact same wingers against Hull and they tore them apart because our midfield has so much energy. A combination of Butterfield, Johnson and Huddlestone is about as lively as a corpse so teams can just sit back. Hopefully we ditch it and go to something like a 4-2-3-1 where our midfielders can afford to be more static.

A mate pointed out that maybe Bryson needs to be on the starting line up and Butterfield on the bench. When you have Bryson on the pitch with Andi and Vydra, it's a good combination to have! I heard Gary would be swapping some of the players around tonight with Anya, Nugent and Bryson on the starting team rather than the bench. This is the ideal time to be trying this when it's worked so well for us in the past.

2 minutes ago, Bethh said:

A mate pointed out that maybe Bryson needs to be on the starting line up and Butterfield on the bench. When you have Bryson on the pitch with Andi and Vydra, it's a good combination to have! I heard Gary would be swapping some of the players around tonight with Anya, Nugent and Bryson on the starting team rather than the bench. This is the ideal time to be trying this when it's worked so well for us in the past.

Bryson was one of our best players on Saturday, badly missed his mobility as playing a midfield three of Huddlestone, Johnson and Butterfield is potentially the slowest, least mobile midfield 3 in the league. 

2 minutes ago, Bethh said:

Yeah Bryson needs to be in ahead of Butterfield if we're playing 4-3-3 for sure. We can't have Huddlestone and Butterfield trying to do the same thing in a 3 man midfield, leaves Martin too isolated. Wouldn't mind that duo in a two man midfield mind.

Just now, lrm14 said:

Yeah Bryson needs to be in ahead of Butterfield if we're playing 4-3-3 for sure. We can't have Huddlestone and Butterfield trying to do the same thing in a 3 man midfield, leaves Martin too isolated. Wouldn't mind that duo in a two man midfield mind.

It's simple really for Gary, we had a working team where Bryson was on our starting line up every single time. I get that he wants to play the new signings so he can get a feel as for who works well in the formation but ever since Bryson was taken off the starting line up, our team really don't know what they're doing. As soon as Bryson and Butterfield were swapped on Saturday, we were playing a lot better but the swap came too late for us as it was near the end of the match. Gary needs to take a few notes from the team which got us winning and so close to playoffs last year.

Archived