Rams Memories 1960s and 70s

oldtimeram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A vague recollection of a 1-1 draw ( I think) vs QPR .... midweek around '74 /'75 / '76 ?? I remember the dark, the floodlights and the atmosphere - fantastic!! 

Clear recollection of the home wim v Man City - that of the repaint the peno spot variety!! '76 ? '77 ?

beyond that its early 80's ... bananrama on the pop side 'na na na na ... na na na na .... hey hey derby county ' ! Bobby Davison screamer midweek at Hillsboro (lost 3-1) and getting arrested in Bradford '84 I think - for dropping litter!!!! Go figure!!

Remember being 3-1 down to Millwall in 1967 season.  Left early as my uncle wanted to get away early because we were on his motorbike that day.  As we were leaving we scored two late goals to make it 3-3. He got a bit of grief from me that day lol.

I was born too late to have memories of the glory years, mine are confined to the successes of the mid-late 1990s. However, starting to collect Derby programmes as a young lad led to an interest in the history of the Rams. I now write articles for Derby County Memories, a quarterly magazine that covers the history of Derby County and collectable items of memorabilia such as programmes, tickets and books. The latest edition features All in the Game, the football skills competition broadcast on ITV between 1976-1977, and games against Sheffield Wednesday which span from pre-war to the late 1950s. Recent back issues include articles on Kevin Hector, the 1970 Watney Invitation Cup, Tim Ward and Derby against Nottingham Forest, Sunderland and Burnley. Regular contributors include Andy Ellis (the DCFC historian) and David Moore, who wrote for the official programme for many years.

The current issue is £3 (including post) and is available on eBay at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292179424471. Back issues are £2 each from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292179425640. 

36 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Time to rename Pride Park

The Kevin Hector Stadium

But that would only make sense for our generation. The Steve Bloomer Stadium would be just as appropiate if you think about it.

Chaddesden Sidings Stadium would be geographically and historically correct but i think Pride Park Stadium is ok personally. I quite like it and it sort of fits somehow.

I remember listening to the Spurs Derby FA Cup tie of 1973 on the radio. Back home in Milford, Derbyshire. I wasn't exactly young, probably 16 at the time, and although I'd been to several away games in the Midlands and up North, London was a far scarier/exciting prospect. Plus I didn't know anyone to go with the time. So, listened on the radio and we all can now see the goals on youtube and experience one of the most dramatic comebacks in the FA Cup (true). In more recent years I met a fella down here from London who was at the game and explained how it was and how unwelcoming(!) the whole experience was. Sounded quite scary but I'd love to hear from anyone else (from this board) who was there. 

14 hours ago, londonbridgeram said:

I remember listening to the Spurs Derby FA Cup tie of 1973 on the radio. Back home in Milford, Derbyshire. I wasn't exactly young, probably 16 at the time, and although I'd been to several away games in the Midlands and up North, London was a far scarier/exciting prospect. Plus I didn't know anyone to go with the time. So, listened on the radio and we all can now see the goals on youtube and experience one of the most dramatic comebacks in the FA Cup (true). In more recent years I met a fella down here from London who was at the game and explained how it was and how unwelcoming(!) the whole experience was. Sounded quite scary but I'd love to hear from anyone else (from this board) who was there. 

Stood on The Shelf with my Spurs mates.. Never had a problem at London games to be fair, probably due to my accent. Great night, I never let up on them for months.. The 8-2 was also very satisfying ?

Most away games could be moody in the 70s and a fair few would say a trip to Derby could be unwelcoming back in the day. Came up once with some mates who were Chelsea and it was always hard to get on the popside with a cockney accent.

14 hours ago, londonbridgeram said:

I was there and yes, it was scary. 3-1 down and then won 5-3. The natives weren't happy but we were magnificent for the last hour and took them apart in extra time. Super goals from Roger Davies and King Kevin. Kept very quiet on the Tube back to St Pancras, where there was a welcoming committee at the top of the steps! Nearly 45 years ago but still one of the greatest memories for me.

Was there as well. Said to my mate when we went 3-1 down with 8 minutes to go that we hadn't lost this one yet, as BOB BIGGS states above, we were playing them off the park in spite of the score-line. Close to being up there with the Chelsea League Cup replay at the BBG in 1968/9.

Walking back to the car afterwards -we didn't hang around - one of the locals stood on the doorstep of his  terraced house : "What was the score"? "Won 5-3 " said we , lengthening our stride and quickly disappearing up the road with a broad smile on our faces!

Archived