oldtimeram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, curtains said:

Who is in between Kidd and Archie 

Steve powell

p.s. Look at henry newton's thin arms!

Arthur Stewart was a good buy for £10k and did a good job for a while, but was not good enough to make necessary step up to the side that won Div 2. Same could be said for some of a Cloughie's other early signings like Jim Walker, Richie Barker and Pat Wright.

Although born in the 1960's I am too young to remember that period. My first memories of Derby are from the early 1970's. Living in Cornwall following the Rams was very much about watching Match of The Day, the Big Match and Sportsnight (with Coleman). On a Saturday afternoon I would go on a bike ride in the Cornish countryside, take a drink and some sweets along with my prize possession, my blue transistor radio, and follow the games on Radio 2 I think it was back then. I used to cry if the result didn't go our way.

Some memories that stand out are being on holiday in Scotland, in the pouring rain and hearing that the Rams had lost 5-1 at home to QPR early in the season, couldn't quite believe it. Also remember vividly travelling back from Colchester, where my Grandparents lived, travelling through London on the way back home to Cornwall in my dads old cortina. Think it was Easter time. The Rams were commentary match on the radio in an away match at Burnley and we won 5-2. Also have vague memories of an earlier game, the brilliant FA Cup comeback at Spurs and win in extra time. I was only 6 or 7 and it was a school night and I went to bed thinking they had lost but my older brother came in and woke me up to say that they had won. Losing 5-0 away at Saints, my dads and brothers team in the League Cup also stands out, 1974/5 time I think. I remember my brother teasing me the next morning and showing me the back page of the paper with the headline 'Saints Alive! It's Five!!!. Can remember ripping all my Derby posters down from my bedroom wall after that one.

My first Rams match was the end of season game at Ipswich, Frannie Lee's last match, when we won 6-2 so that obviously stands out. Seeing the highlights of the 4-1 win v Real Madrid on the tv and then listening on the radio to the 5-1 away defeat are also stand out memories. Although obviously our most successful period I was a bit too young to appreciate it at the time. My favourite time supporting the Rams was when I started seeing them regularly, home and away, when I was at uni in the 1980's, the period under Arthur. Those were great times.....

1 minute ago, SKRam said:

No 1 stand out is Sir Francis Lee's goal at Maine Road. I was there for that. 'Just look at his face'. Thank the lord it's on tape too:w00t:

That post is 'interesting.....................................................................very interesting' SK Ram......

My Grandparents used to live in Harrington Street just up the road from the old BBG, and Grandad took me down to the ground one Saturday afternoon when I was about 6, I think. He got one of the officials to open the gate so i could look in, and I saw Reg Harrison in his goal at the Normanton End.

I didn't go near again till I was 11. My mum and dad thought I was too young because football violence was on the increase in those days (1968), but dad drove past the ground on the night of the League Cup victory over Chelsea. I can remember the atmosphere and the lights like it was yesterday. Magical!

My first match was in the Pop side against Spurs, which we won 5 - 0, so some debut. biggest  crowd ever at the BBG as well! I also had the disappointment of not being able to get a ticket for the Liverpool match when we clinched the title.

Another memory was Terry Hennessey's testimonial. It was against the Red Dogs, managed by Dave Mackay. I've no idea of the score, but after the match I was walking home down Shaftesbury Crescent when there was a huge commotion behind me. Turns out it was a massive gang of Forest fans kicking hell out of anyone within range. A local resident just happened to open their front door (they were terraced houses down there) to see what the noise was about, so I politely said "Thank you very much!" and stepped inside, slamming the door shut just as the thugs went by. It definitely saved me fro a right kicking!

Archived