Rams Memories 1960s and 70s

oldtimeram

Great days...........as well as winning the league twice:

Beating Chelsea in the League Cup; Beating Liverpool 1-0 to all but clinch the title; Beating Spurs 8-2; Coming back from the dead at White Hart Lane to win; Beating Real Madrid (Real Madrid!!); 35,000+ at almost every home game; Popside swaying; ............. delicious memories.

Then came the late 70's and the dark days:

Tommy Doc - worst manager in our history, ripped the soul out of our club; When winning away became a dream - did we go a whole season without a win on the road?; Losing 4-0 to Palace (was that in the early 80's?); Constant flirts with relegation; Attendances down to 16,000 in Div 1; Succession of poor managers building poor teams; Rot that took us all the way to Div 3;........ horrible memories.

Thank goodness for Arthur Cox - a true saviour.  It turned sour towards the end, but let's not forget where he found us and where he took us.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the 71/72 season, we attracted the highest aggregate attendance nationwide for a visiting team:- they came to watch our scintillating football -  and then went home to watch them again on Match of the Day!

And I imagine our own away support was up there with the best, 8000 - 10000 travelling fans was not unusual.

Rolls Royce altering their shift patterns to enable fans to attend the home evening European games - either that or have empty workshops!

Anecdotally,  a number of fans were reported to have buried no less than 5 grandmothers over the course of the European campaigns, all of them strangely coinciding with away European games!

Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankley,

Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury,

Shanks says No, I don't think so

But I've heard of the Popside Derby.

My first games were in the boys end and Willie Carling running up and down in front of the paddock towards us is my earliest memory.

Happy days. 

1 hour ago, oldtimeram said:

I went to Benfica away but forgot to bury my grandmother for that one

Benfica, Spartak Trnava, Slovan Bratislava, Servette Geneva and Velez Mostar, the last three overland by rail, and couldn't use that excuse as they pre-deceased me......

Archived