Peter Shilton and Penalties

G STAR RAM

Whilst watching the England u21s the other day, I made the comment to my dad that Peter Shilton was the worst penalty stopper that I remember.

I still believe if Bobby Robson had replaced him with Dave Beasant before the end of extra time against Germany in 1990 we would have been world champions.

Is my memory correct or did he actually ever save penalties for Derby/England?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Whilst watching the England u21s the other day, I made the comment to my dad that Peter Shilton was the worst penalty stopper that I remember.

I still believe if Bobby Robson had replaced him with Dave Beasant before the end of extra time against Germany in 1990 we would have been world champions.

Remember him saving 1 in FA cup match against Villa..... I think. They scored the rebound.

But yes he was bobbins at pens. 

Shilton was pants at penalties as he had the conceited opinion in his own abilities that his reactions were fast enough to be able to save a penalty after waiting to see which way the penalty taker had kicked the ball. I remember seeing a scientific study on penalty taking which said that the human reaction time was not quick enough from when the ball left the penalty takers foot to be able to react in time and dive to save the penalty given the distance from the penalty spot to the goal line. 

6 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Shilton was pants at penalties as he had the conceited opinion in his own abilities that his reactions were fast enough to be able to save a penalty after waiting to see which way the penalty taker had kicked the ball. I remember seeing a scientific study on penalty taking which said that the human reaction time was not quick enough from when the ball left the penalty takers foot to be able to react in time and dive to save the penalty given the distance from the penalty spot to the goal line. 

All true. I used to play in goal and it's always been a case of guessing. I feel sorry for 'keepers nowadays who have to stay stood up for as long as possible due to players now being able to seemingly take penalties without looking down at the ball.

Back in 1990 the rules were different regarding substitutes and named GK's, it is often cited (in fact I thik even Sir Bobby said similar in one of his autobiographies) that Beasant could have come on, the simple fact is that he couldn't as Chris Woods was the named substitute for the Germany game.

Even some stats sites have Beasant down as a named keeper which is incorrect.

For what it's worth 1990 was also the last World Cup in which the GK's could only play in the GK position if substituted on, this was a direct response to the Republic of Ireland having Niall Quinn named as 3rd keeper (at which he was very good, and as us Rams know a decent penalty stopper :) )

33 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

My knowledge of that era is normally pretty good but didn't remember them at all. 

Was at the match, and remember that goal by Jossie

I was too, I was right in line with Jossies goal, think I was 12 and in the Normanton Lower

Yes I agree he was rubbish, especially only getting 125 caps at a time when far less international games were played than now and he did a job share with Ray Clemence and Joe Corrigan !

Peter Leslie Shilton OBE (born 18 September 1949) is an English former footballer who played as a goalkeeper. He currently holds the record for playing more games for the England men's team than anyone else, earning 125 caps, and he also holds the all-time record for the most competitive appearances in world football.The IFFHS ranked Shilton among the top ten keepers of the 20th century in 2000.

Leicester City

Second Division: 1970–71

FA Charity Shield: 1971

Nottingham Forest

First Division: 1977–78

First Division runners-up: 1978–79

League Cup: 1978–79

FA Charity Shield: 1978

European Cup: 1978–79, 1979–80

European Super Cup: 1979

Southampton

First Division runners-up: 1983–84

InternationalEdit

England

FIFA World Cup 4th place: 1990

Rous Cup winners: 1986, 1988, 1989

Rous Cup runners-up: 1985, 1987

1985 Azteca 2000 Tournament runners-up

Individual honoursEdit

IOC European Footballer of the Season: 1979–80[25]

PFA First Division Team of the Year: 1974–75, 1977–78, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1984–85, 1985–86

PFA Team of the Century (1977-1996): 2007[26]

PFA Players' Player of the Year: 1977–78

Nottingham Forest F.C. Player of the Year: 1981–82

Southampton F.C. Player of the Season: 1984–85, 1985–86

FWA Tribute Award: 1991

English Football Hall of Fame: Inducted 2002

Football League 100 Legends

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I was hoping Robson would make the change, but he would have been crucified if it hadn't worked.

As a young and naive new supporter back in those days it was obvious even to me that Shilton had trouble getting down to shots, penalty or not. 

Some keepers like Beasant are just unexplainably good at penalties. Back to the original point that move would have been very advanced thinking in 1990, and ultimately if Robson changed anything Woods was very much his no. 2. Am I right in thinking you only named some of the squad on the bench back then anyway so Beasant may have been in the stands?

88-90 very much glory days for club and country for me, I do hope I see similar again.

4 hours ago, Inglorius said:

Watching the penalties back now is funny, every single one had hit the back of the net before Shilts hit the floor!

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Yes I agree he was rubbish, especially only getting 125 caps at a time when far less international games were played than now and he did a job share with Ray Clemence and Joe Corrigan !

Peter Leslie Shilton OBE (born 18 September 1949) is an English former footballer who played as a goalkeeper. He currently holds the record for playing more games for the England men's team than anyone else, earning 125 caps, and he also holds the all-time record for the most competitive appearances in world football.The IFFHS ranked Shilton among the top ten keepers of the 20th century in 2000.

Leicester City

Second Division: 1970–71

FA Charity Shield: 1971

Nottingham Forest

First Division: 1977–78

First Division runners-up: 1978–79

League Cup: 1978–79

FA Charity Shield: 1978

European Cup: 1978–79, 1979–80

European Super Cup: 1979

Southampton

First Division runners-up: 1983–84

InternationalEdit

England

FIFA World Cup 4th place: 1990

Rous Cup winners: 1986, 1988, 1989

Rous Cup runners-up: 1985, 1987

1985 Azteca 2000 Tournament runners-up

Individual honoursEdit

IOC European Footballer of the Season: 1979–80[25]

PFA First Division Team of the Year: 1974–75, 1977–78, 1978–79, 1979–80, 1980–81, 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84, 1984–85, 1985–86

PFA Team of the Century (1977-1996): 2007[26]

PFA Players' Player of the Year: 1977–78

Nottingham Forest F.C. Player of the Year: 1981–82

Southampton F.C. Player of the Season: 1984–85, 1985–86

FWA Tribute Award: 1991

English Football Hall of Fame: Inducted 2002

Football League 100 Legends

Who said he was rubbish?

Doesn't say how many penalties he saved on there?

Yes he didn't save many at all, and towards the end every free kick seemed to go in and he didn't really come for corners,

yet I saw some of the most magnificent goalkeeping performances ever from the guy (and he helped get us to fifth in the top league under cox) 

3 hours ago, Rample said:

As a young and naive new supporter back in those days it was obvious even to me that Shilton had trouble getting down to shots, penalty or not. 

Some keepers like Beasant are just unexplainably good at penalties. Back to the original point that move would have been very advanced thinking in 1990, and ultimately if Robson changed anything Woods was very much his no. 2. Am I right in thinking you only named some of the squad on the bench back then anyway so Beasant may have been in the stands?

88-90 very much glory days for club and country for me, I do hope I see similar again.

You should have seen the guy in goal for Ipswich -Paul cooper every penalty was like a backpass 

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Yes he didn't save many at all, and towards the end every free kick seemed to go in and he didn't really come for corners,

yet I saw some of the most magnificent goalkeeping performances ever from the guy (and he helped get us to fifth in the top league under cox) 

I remember one performance around 89/90 against Spurs at home, his performance was worth the admission fee alone.

Archived